Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

9 hours ago, scumcat said:

I was given the lswr version for Christmas 2019 it has never run well thr motor doesn’t need any excuse not to be able to turn the wheels. I thought it was a motor problem as it has zero torque but now you have got me thinking.

like this?

• Informative/Useful 1

On 03/10/2022 at 19:49, Nick C said:

There certainly only appears to be one part number on the service sheet - though there should be two as the A1s have a version with wooden brake blocks.

The failure of my terrier to run smoothly is why I never bothered progressing my OO shunting layout during all the covid lockdowns.

I have now ordered two sets of replacements. Now, did they ever release a version dressed up as Stepney in LBSCR "Improved Engine Green" ?

Edited by hartleymartin

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/10/2022 at 19:49, Nick C said:

There certainly only appears to be one part number on the service sheet - though there should be two as the A1s have a version with wooden brake blocks.

I can't get the one with wooden brake shoes, so "Rolvenden" has had an upgrade with iron brake shoes. It appears that the original pick-ups were mangled by whoever assembled the model at the factory. I made several attempts to repair them to no avail. The replacement keeper plate with integral pick-ups has fixed the problem at it now runs just fine. I actually purchase two replacements just in case I get another terrier with the same problem. After all, you can't have just one terrier! (I've got them in 4mm and 7mm scale now too!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Ribird said:

I’m going to just post this here. That’s all. 

Hornby GWR terrier pack coach on left. Brand new GWR Collett non-corridor on right (from the Hattons sale)

Tell me again the Terrier pack coaches aren’t green. 

883AE523-6054-46F3-87FF-7ADAA219E6B5.jpeg

The Collett is clearly brown! 

Joking asside, I saw the GWR coaches at Hamley's, and they are green to me. Good looking, but green. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ribird said:

Hornby GWR terrier pack coach on left. Brand new GWR Collett non-corridor on right (from the Hattons sale)

Try looking in natural light it quite often makes a difference!

13 hours ago, Ribird said:

Not green to my eyes.

CJI.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Ribird said:

The Terrier pack coaches aren’t green. 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Ribird said:

The coaches arent real either, so I dont think it makes a difference.

The coaches are pastiche, so is the livery.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/10/2022 at 14:07, hartleymartin said:

I can't get the one with wooden brake shoes, so "Rolvenden" has had an upgrade with iron brake shoes. It appears that the original pick-ups were mangled by whoever assembled the model at the factory. I made several attempts to repair them to no avail. The replacement keeper plate with integral pick-ups has fixed the problem at it now runs just fine. I actually purchase two replacements just in case I get another terrier with the same problem. After all, you can't have just one terrier! (I've got them in 4mm and 7mm scale now too!)

I have just one Terrier, It's in Southern Olive Green and is perfect for a rake of Genesis coaches in the same livery.

I'm surprised how well it runs, for such a tich, it's haulage is really pretty good.

• Like 2

On 04/11/2022 at 17:50, Johan DC said:

The Collett is clearly brown! 

Joking asside, I saw the GWR coaches at Hamley's, and they are green to me. Good looking, but green. 

See, I'm not crazy. The regular Hornby brown is good

On 05/11/2022 at 05:29, Mark Saunders said:

Try looking in natural light it quite often makes a difference!

Not you in particular, but we have discussed this on this thread, natural daylight makes the green-ish shade of this brown show even more. Go look at Kernow's or Hattons pics, just as bad in professional studio lighting

On 05/11/2022 at 07:09, cctransuk said:

Not green to my eyes.

CJI.

On 05/11/2022 at 11:34, NHY 581 said:

The Terrier pack coaches aren’t green. 

They certainly are a green-brown, compared to an actual brown.

On 05/11/2022 at 12:23, adb968008 said:

The coaches arent real either, so I dont think it makes a difference.

The coaches are pastiche, so is the livery.

Absolutely agree with you. Only bought this pack for the Terrier. Will repaint the green on the loco, as again, a bad green from Hornby, again. Unsure what I'll even do with these coaches, probably thrown along the landscape as sheds or something. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ribird said:

natural daylight makes the green-ish shade of this brown show even more.

I would have thought that "natural daylight" was the _standard_ and that something/anything should look the Right Colour in such a setting.

I know a lot of us are confined to darkened windowless environment lit only by a venerable 40w Osman hanging from the ceiling, but that should never be considered the conditions under which the "colour looks right".

They're green. It's a weird decision by Hornby but they stick to it. Not being a GWR modeller/collector except by happenstance I'm not losing sleep over it. Maybe one day I'll buy the Hornby Standard Light Bulb That Makes Them Look Brown...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ribird said:

Absolutely agree with you. Only bought this pack for the Terrier. Will repaint the green on the loco, as again, a bad green from Hornby, again. Unsure what I'll even do with these coaches, probably thrown along the landscape as sheds or something. 

Probably not a bad call, that way they could pass as faded brown with green lichen starting..

😀

It kind of feels like the factory wasnt sure if the spec was green or brown, so they kind of went for what felt right, somewhere in the middle.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

If the GWR shirtbutton logo is removed, there ought to be a future for these coaches on freelance light railways (which just happen to have an olive green and cream coach livery)

Flippancy aside , a lot of these coaches will end up on freelance light railways , so these could be good ones to pick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, melmerby said:

Not according to a colour spectrum test, the dominant colour is green.

Sorry but I never fail to be surprised to see the lengths that some on here will go to in order to prove someone wrong. 

Putting science to one side, my eyes see these coaches and tell me they are brown. As I rely on my eyes more than colour spectrum analysis, then I am somewhat more content than others appear to be.

Tell you what. If it looks green to you, with your colour spectrum what not, then it's green. To me, using the Mk1 eyeball it's brown. 

Therefore, we are both happy. 

Simples. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

the lengths that some on here

Hardly, a few seconds only

Just a basic graphics program using the image posted, shows the RGB mix to be mainly green, unlike the Collett coach which is brown.

It tells me more about the colour than my eyes ever could. (you don't know, I might have been seeing blue😆)

With some of the comments about the colour, I was doubting what I could actually see.☹️

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Sorry but I never fail to be surprised to see the lengths that some on here will go to in order to prove someone wrong. 

Putting science to one side, my eyes see these coaches and tell me they are brown. As I rely on my eyes more than colour spectrum analysis, then I am somewhat more content than others appear to be.

Tell you what. If it looks green to you, with your colour spectrum what not, then it's green. To me, using the Mk1 eyeball it's brown. 

Therefore, we are both happy. 

Simples. 

Rob. 

The problem is that to my eyes and brain, the colour has a strong green hue, while to yours it's brown. If it had been a correct shade of brown it should be brown to both of us.

Consequently, if I had wanted these (which, fortunately, I don't) I'd have to reject them based on the 'brown' being wrong.

But it illustrates that with colour perception one person's view can be sufficiently different to another's that while one is happy, the other is not, in fact, happy.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

There’s something similar I’ve seen with certain blue / greens where some are positive it’s blue and others are positive it’s green. I have to admit Rob that to me my Dad’s Terrier set looks green to me in sunlight and a mucky browny green under artificial light 🤷‍♂️

I suspect there’s something in individual perception here because there’s a decent spread on both sides and it would be interesting to give one to a mate who works for a big paint company to see what the scanner thinks it is 😀