Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
On 23/06/2022 at 18:42, cctransuk said:

The inevitable consequence of 'generic' modelling - looks nothing like anything that ever ran on British rails.

Then we come to Hornby's interpretation of GWR livery ......... !

CJI.

Improved Carriage Brown ?

it goes without saying if you polish a brown thing ,occasionally they turn green.

However it looks like Mansell wheels fitted and as this is an imaginary train anyway, theres not much to bemoan it carrying an imaginary livery either.

Edited by adb968008

On 23/06/2022 at 20:41, jonnyuk said:

me thinks give a few months and these might be discounted and ripe for picking :)

Sold out on pre order nearly everywhere though. It is a limited edition of a locomotive in possibly it's most sellable livery after all. They probably sold thousands of the old Dapol version.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Sold out on pre order nearly everywhere though. It is a limited edition of a locomotive in possibly it's most sellable livery after all. They probably sold thousands of the old Dapol version.

Jason

must say i only checked  a couple of places and it was still in stock, ill need to keep an eye on them, if they start to disappear then pick one up

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

I'm suspecting the coaches have been resprayed from ones either deliberately or accidentally produced as SR ones - that would explain why the ends are more brown in colour as black would be oversprayed but the brown coat applied is too thin on top of the green.

Lol; no.

The coaches in the GWT terrier train pack match exactly the colour of the Single 4-wheeler "gwr" coach I purchased a number of months ago to go behind my Wife's favourite. That's "4-wheeler"; the Southern coaches are all 6-wheelers, so no its not an overspray...

And, as I mentioned above, it also matches to the coaches i have in a train pack from "a while ago" which had King Charles II and three GWR coaches. I've been worriting that my eyes have gone wonky since i got that because I perceive the coaches with a green not brown tint. But its just a case of How Hornby Have Been Doing It For Years.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

So the Hornby 4-wheeled coaches appear green, and not chocolate.

That'll bring society and life as we know it to an end.

The fact the coaches are 'generic' and based upon no known GWR prototype is apparently overlooked.

The fact they are a scale 7" under gauge also appears to be overlooked.

WC&PR 'Terrier' No.2 was taken into GWR stock as No.5, in July 1940 and therefore highly unlikely to have trundled around towing such archaic stock - after all it spent most of its GWR life at St Phillips Marsh for use on the Bristol Harbour lines, before BR sent it to Exeter, and then retiring it from Newton Abbot where it was used as shed pilot.

Selective criticism perchance ? (Only those other commentators can answer that)

How one hankers for those great model railway days of the 60s and 70s, when we modelled for our personal satisfaction, whereas today, in this 21st Century, social media centred hobby we appear to model for the benefit of others.

Edited by br2975
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, br2975 said:

So the Hornby 4-wheeled coaches appear green, and not chocolate.

That'll bring society and life as we know it to an end.

The fact the coaches are 'generic' and based upon no known GWR prototype is apparently overlooked.

The fact they are a scale 7" under gauge also appears to be overlooked.

Selective criticism perchance ?

How one hankers for those great model railway days of the 60s and 70s, when we modelled for our personal satisfaction, whereas today, in this 21st Century, social media centred hobby we appear to model for the benefit of others.

So - if livery criticism is selective, why bother to produce GWR (or any other railway) sets?

On that basis, all locos and stock can be to a single design in a single colour, and we'll just 'pretend'!!!

If it's advertised as GWR, green and cream coaches are not fit for purpose - end of!

You try to convince yourself otherwise, by all means - but most customers aren't quite so gullible.

CJI.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

You try to convince yourself otherwise, by all means - but most customers aren't quite so gullible.

Well the 'gullible' punters could exercise their rights, if they feel they've been 'sold a pup'.

Other more discerning modellers can spend their cash on better quality models.

Edited by br2975

Just now, br2975 said:

Well those 'gullible' punters could exercise their rights, if they feel they've been 'sold a pup'

....... and I sincerely trust they do so.

Hornby take liberties such as these precisely because not enough punters kick up a fuss.

A warehouse full of returns would concentrate minds!!

CJI.

I'm slightly bemused as my dozen or so GWR liveried Colletts are definitely GWR Chocolate and Cream.

Even the ones in The Bristolian set. The green on the King was a bit iffy in a usual Hornby "washed out" GWR Green way though....

Coaches on the Hattons website look fine. With caveat of the studio lighting.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/619265/hornby_r40065_4_wheel_1st_143_in_gwr_chocolate_and_cream/stockdetail

With the Terrier pack being similar.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/619194/hornby_r3960_gwr_terrier_trainpack_with_class_a1x_terrier_0_6_0t_5_portishead_in_gwr_green_wi/stockdetail

R3960_202206171453_3652813_Qty1_1.jpg

I think some people might need to check their colour perception. There are tests online.....

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

With caveat of the studio lighting.

I think some people might need to check their colour perception. There are tests online.....

Terrier pack in person is awful, as my images have shown in different lighting conditions. If we really want to compare coaches, someone with other modern Hornby GWR coaches, with the GWR terrier pack as well, should take some pictures together. That would really show any problems with lighting, as you've argued against, as Hattons product images really do vary. The two links you sent, the saturation is different, just look at the rails.   

All in all, what reality has given from Hornby is not what the packing shows. Before anyone says, "why did you get then?" I wanted a good colour and tooling base for GWR No 5. I could care less about the coaches as they were always going to end up on the lineside in favour of Hattons coaches. 

1 minute ago, Ribird said:

Terrier pack in person is awful, as my images have shown in different lighting conditions. If we really want to compare coaches, someone with other modern Hornby GWR coaches, with the GWR terrier pack as well, should take some pictures together. That would really show any problems with lighting, as you've argued against, as Hattons product images really do vary. The two links you sent, the saturation is different, just look at the rails.   

All in all, what reality has given from Hornby is not what the packing shows. Before anyone says, "why did you get then?" I wanted a good colour and tooling base for GWR No 5. I could care less about the coaches as they were always going to end up on the lineside in favour of Hattons coaches. 

I'll go with the Hattons pictures thanks. Whilst I don't think they are perfect, they certainly aren't green.

I could go and have a look, but there's no pedestrian access to their shop and I'm not paying for a taxi. 

Jason

31 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I'll go with the Hattons pictures thanks. Whilst I don't think they are perfect, they certainly aren't green.

I could go and have a look, but there's no pedestrian access to their shop and I'm not paying for a taxi. 

What I was trying to say, even the Hattons pictures aren't accurate, the saturation changes between the single release coaches and the pack. The only true way to tell, according to your points, is to compare the terrier pack coaches with other Hornby coaches.

I'm looking at other's images of the pack, and they are certainly a green-ish colour. Both Kernow and Olivia's show the weird green colour we have been discussing. 

I'm not sure how my images, with different lighting conditions, can be classified as incorrect information?

Edited by Ribird

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know the part number for the chassis bottom plate with pick ups for the A1 version of the Terrier? I bought "Rolvenden" at the end of 2019 and it never ran properly. I suspect it is the flimsy pick-up wipers. I intend to replace them, but cannot find the appropriate part of part number in Peters Spares, except for the A1x version: https://www.petersspares.com/Hornby-x7425-class-a1x-terrier-chassis-bottom-screw-pickups-r3767.ir

On 30/09/2022 at 23:34, hartleymartin said:

Does anyone know the part number for the chassis bottom plate with pick ups for the A1 version of the Terrier? I bought "Rolvenden" at the end of 2019 and it never ran properly. I suspect it is the flimsy pick-up wipers. I intend to replace them, but cannot find the appropriate part of part number in Peters Spares, except for the A1x version: https://www.petersspares.com/Hornby-x7425-class-a1x-terrier-chassis-bottom-screw-pickups-r3767.ir

It's the same part.

9 minutes ago, scumcat said:

I was given the lswr version for Christmas 2019 it has never run well thr motor doesn’t need any excuse not to be able to turn the wheels. I thought it was a motor problem as it has zero torque but now you have got me thinking.

No, that does sound like a motor failure. Attaching an ammeter to the track would tell you..

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Fireline said:

It's the same part.

There certainly only appears to be one part number on the service sheet - though there should be two as the A1s have a version with wooden brake blocks.

30 minutes ago, Nick C said:

There certainly only appears to be one part number on the service sheet - though there should be two as the A1s have a version with wooden brake blocks.

I agree that it probably should be two, but Hornby can't supply any other version, so it's A1X or nothing.

Edited by Fireline