Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

i have to say i thought it was a tad expenses but the coaches in particular look good. i had the lswr coaches and sold them as i was a little disappointed but could be tempted by this. i do have a feeling though,give it 3-4 months and it will be £50 cheaper, seems allot in stock. i will bite then if they are still about

I have had a close look at the 4 wheelers in the GWR train pack and apart from the impossible livery, I think they are a very dark shade of green a quick look at the KMC website seems to confirm this.  The loco has lined number plates(!) and further research into the loco tells me it was only steam braked under GWR and BR(W) ownership so could not have hauled any passenger carrying stock at all.  What a pity.

Edited by MG 7305
Additional information.

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, MG 7305 said:

I have had a close look at the 4 wheelers in the GWR train pack and apart from the impossible livery, I think they are a very dark shade of green.  The loco has lined number plates(!) and further research into the loco tells me it was only steam braked under GWR and BR(W) ownership so could not have hauled any passenger carrying stock at all.  What a pity.

I have to ask...Have you physically examined these or looked on line.....? 

Happy to be corrected but ; 

The coaches are chocolate and cream. No hint of green in the livery on the ones I've held and looked at. Or in fact any of the Hornby GWR liveried 4 and 6 whl coaches have any hint at green. 

The lined number plate ? 

If you're referring to the brass edging then that's Hornby's  2D representation of the raised brass edge to the plate. Standard GWR ( and other railways !) practice. 

Yep, the livery of the loco is as of  it's 1940 overhaul by the GWR. Hornby have removed the tall lamp irons as per so overall, it's not a bad representation. 

They (Hornby) might have been better off simply avoiding the GWR altogether........or doing a goods only set......

As I say, happy to be corrected......

Rob. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I have to ask...Have you physically examined these or looked on line.....? 

I am GBP 200 the poorer for buying this pack, so yes I have looked very carefully at the 4 wheelers in the pack in both artificial and natural light, they are green.  Interestingly the photograph on page 42 of 'Steam at Swindon' in The RC Riley seems to show a white cab roof.  I knew about the condensing pipes and westinghouse pump before I bought the pack, so no complaints there.

57 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

f you're referring to the brass edging

Yes, I do know what a GWR lined number plate is and the difference between a thin red line and printed 'brass'.  Lined number plates were, I am fairly sure, confined to lined locomotives.  If you doubt me I suggest a visit to and inspection at your nearest stockist which should confirm or refute my comments.

2 hours ago, MG 7305 said:

I have had a close look at the 4 wheelers in the GWR train pack and apart from the impossible livery, I think they are a very dark shade of green a quick look at the KMC website seems to confirm this.  The loco has lined number plates(!) and further research into the loco tells me it was only steam braked under GWR and BR(W) ownership so could not have hauled any passenger carrying stock at all.  What a pity.

More research indicating that the passenger set is a figment of Hornby's imagination?

It doesn't surprise me at all - but surely the research should have been undertaken BEFORE parting with £200?

CJI.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, MG 7305 said:

If you doubt me I suggest a visit to and inspection at your nearest stockist which should confirm or refute my comments.

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

No hint of green in the livery on the ones I've held and looked at. Or in fact any of the Hornby GWR liveried 4 and 6 whl coaches have any hint at green. 

I reckon the trip to the stockist isn't required ;) 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, MG 7305 said:

I am GBP 200 the poorer for buying this pack, so yes I have looked very carefully at the 4 wheelers in the pack in both artificial and natural light, they are green.  If you doubt me I suggest a visit to and inspection at your nearest stockist which should confirm or refute my comments.

I have to agree then with John above. It's perhaps  a bit late in the day to bemoan the tint of Hornby's coaches bearing in mind you expressed reservations with the set on June 16. That said, if you are unhappy with the appearance of your set now you have it then just return it. 

As if happens I have, as per my post, held and examined these coaches, adding that this was at my local stockists. 

I stand by my comments. There was no hint of green in the livery of the coaches and they were viewed close to an open door in what was effectively natural light. 

Now, as these  are mass produced items, it is unlikely that your issue is a one off so I'm sure others will notice the same issue as you have. 

Personally, if as you say the colour rendition on your example is off then, in the first instance, contact the retailer from whom the set was purchased or bring it to Hornby's attention who will advise accordingly.

Don't put up with a costly purchase that you are  unhappy with. I'm sure your retailer and Hornby would like the opportunity to see the issue and resolve it to your satisfaction. 

Rob. 

• Like 3

I couldn’t contest to the green vs brown of the coaches, as I didn’t receive my pack until tonight, but I’ll have to agree with @MG 7305, these are definitely more green than brown, as seen below. Also provided are the images I took of the locomotive and coaches. 

I’m picky with my GWR/BR paints, so I’ll nick pick on the shade of green, super light as always for Hornby. I’ll fix it with a custom mix I’ve came up with, once I have replacement plates from somewhere. 

FF1CCC51-B2B1-42A2-8833-1392588301E9.jpeg

15EB572D-7853-4F4A-A653-99154D55B26B.jpeg

62C7B318-5C2B-46B7-A491-CD67749E9C99.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ribird said:

The only brown I see there is the window frames on the doors.

compared to this image render from Hornbys website (url)..

r3960_1_gwr-terrier-train-pack.jpg

Interesting Livery though, remove the GWR logo, it might pass for something else.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Ribird said:

I couldn’t contest to the green vs brown of the coaches, as I didn’t receive my pack until tonight, but I’ll have to agree with @MG 7305, these are definitely more green than brown, as seen below. Also provided are the images I took of the locomotive and coaches. 

I’m picky with my GWR/BR paints, so I’ll nick pick on the shade of green, super light as always for Hornby. I’ll fix it with a custom mix I’ve came up with, once I have replacement plates from somewhere. 

FF1CCC51-B2B1-42A2-8833-1392588301E9.jpeg

15EB572D-7853-4F4A-A653-99154D55B26B.jpeg

Oh dear me. I'm glad this pack is not on my 'must have' list. 

I would however question the lighting of the two photos. The top photo of the coaches doesn't look anywhere near as bad as the  bottom photo, which in particular looks wrong. Is this a result of direct v indirect lighting? 

The set I looked at certainly looked better, more choclatey  than that. 

However, the bottom photo suggests something is clearly not right here. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank lordy for that!

I've been thinking that my eyes were going funny as I've always looked at Hornby GWR coaches and thought to myself that they look green, not brown, but I've been afraid to speak up for fear of sounding rather silly.

I have the (smidgen older) train pack of King Charles II and three coaches and they've always looked green to me too.

Colours will always be a contentious topic, having had a look at a set I'd say that they're brown, maybe not as brown as the box art but brown none the less and they seem to match the previous GWR 4/6 wheelers. Granted the images taken up close with full flash look pertty green, but I'm throwing my 2 pence into the brown in real life camp

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Oh dear me. I'm glad this pack is not on my 'must have' list. 

I would however question the lighting of the two photos. The top photo of the coaches doesn't look anywhere near as bad as the  bottom photo, which in particular looks wrong. Is this a result of direct v indirect lighting? 

The set I looked at certainly looked better, more choclatey  than that. 

However, the bottom photo suggests something is clearly not right here. 

At the end of the day, they look nothing like GWR coaches, so the shade of the brown / green is surely immaterial?

Ratio four-wheeled GWR coach kits are easy enough to build - and they are models of real GWR coaches.

CJI.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ribird said:

Now the question, where can I get etched plates for this GWR terrier?

Would love to make a proper rendition of this, including some of the fixes I talked about in my previous comment

247 Developments do them. Near the top of this page.

http://247developments.co.uk/ex_gwr_names.html

I did have this on pre-order before it was cancelled. Did get the opportunity to re order one, but decided not to. I'll let someone who really wants the full pack have it!

No interest in the carriages. I was only interested in the loco which does need work to convert it to 1950-ish condition. Removal of condensing pipes, new handrails, etc. after which would probably need a repaint anyway.

So £196 for a pack with carriages I don't need or try and find a suitable Hornby Terrier lurking in the bargain bins. Failing that I've still got a couple of the older ones.

Jason

Just to show another lighting picture, here is direct sunlight from this morning. Hopefully this is a bit better to show the true nature of the colour. No flash, just sunlight @NHY 581

Thanks @Steamport Southportfor the link, I’ll check them out now. 

Funny enough, I have a factory error 2662 that would be perfect donor for No 5, as my 2662 doesn’t have rivets on the smoke box, which I’ve mentioned previously in this thread. Idk why I didn’t think of just repainting that, oh well. The current No5 is a better base to repaint. I was aiming for 1946-48, which I believe might had the condensing pipes removed, but not sure. 

70DF9842-CB31-4749-88F8-56A2C120EA84.jpeg

Edited by Ribird
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmm Just checked the earlier  GWR 4 wheel coaches with those in the Terrier pack (holding them in today's slightly overcast natural light) - they are the same colour and it is a very dark (slightly olive) green and not a brown

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ribird said:

70DF9842-CB31-4749-88F8-56A2C120EA84.jpeg

To be fair, that looks awful. 

Rob. 

• Agree 7

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

To be fair, that looks awful. 

Rob. 

The inevitable consequence of 'generic' modelling - looks nothing like anything that ever ran on British rails.

Then we come to Hornby's interpretation of GWR livery ......... !

CJI.

• Agree 2