Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Andover 1984 by The KDH Archive

"Stores unit 022 comprised ADS70315 & ADS70318, cars originally 10731 (unit 2613) & 10787 (unit 2669)".

BB3 BW 031 0384 Andover

That unit looks to have more jumper cables than normal

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It has the older 'SUB'-style jumper cables: left to right it has power jumper, lighting jumper and control jumper. Air brake pipe/main reservoir pipes on buffer beam (these have been extended to high-level pipes on RHS, to increase departmental usefulness).

Standard layout for SUB/HAL/BIL etc. (basically all the pre-EPB units).

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Class 28 (Bo-Co) were regulars to Barrow but the 08 with the long string of brake vans is a great find. The caption says the brake van special spent its day exploring the docks and industrial locations around what's now south Cumbria. The train started and ended behind a class 45 black five and as well as the 08 also saw class 03 haulage.

I wonder how many brake vans are left registered on the network today?

Steven B

Edited by Steven B
poor historical knowledge from 1980s era modeller!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The tour started and ended behind 45134. That isn`t a Class 45, TOPS numbering wasn`t introduced until 1973. 45134 would have been a Black Five 4-6-0 5MT. The loco moved to Carnforth in December 1966 and was withdrawn on 3rd August 1968.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Steven B said:

Class 28 (Bo-Co) were regulars to Barrow but the 08 with the long string of brake vans is a great find. The caption says the brake van special spent its day exploring the docks and industrial locations around what's now south Cumbria. The train started and ended behind a class 45 black five and as well as the 08 also saw class 03 haulage.

I wonder how many brake vans are left registered on the network today?

Steven B

There used to be an old brakevan parked in the engineers siding at Tollerton just north of York. I think it was one of those GWR style ones with the full length roof (a Toad ?).

The full itinerary for the Furness railtour is on SixbellsJunction  https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/60s/670902ml.html

Edited by Pinza-C55

On 22/05/2022 at 18:11, montyburns56 said:

Isn't this what the old Hornby model was based on?

Hand Crane ADW226 Cardiff Canton 1987 by Jamerail

FBR14-016

It is very similar to the Hornby model, though Hornby didn't provide a Match Wagon. The prototype was designed just prior to WW2, to provide mobile cranage, both for repairs to bomb damaged track and instillations, and for handling larger items at goods depots. Post-War, they seemed to be popular with the Carriage and Wagon Department; examples at Tonbridge West and Hereford were still in use at the beginning of the 1990s.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 22/05/2022 at 19:11, montyburns56 said:

Isn't this what the old Hornby model was based on?

Hand Crane ADW226 Cardiff Canton 1987 by Jamerail

The Hornby version is closer to the 10T version (that pictured being a 6.5T) but yes, fundamentally the same parentage.

Jon 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

It looks like a Naughty Engine had been spinning doughnuts. But got back on the tracks when it saw the photographer approaching.

It even looks mischievous 

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

18 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

It looks like a Naughty Engine had been spinning doughnuts. But got back on the tracks when it saw the photographer approaching.

Sounds like an escapade worthy of a Thomas the Tank Engine story! 

Edited by hexagon789
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/05/2022 at 19:21, montyburns56 said:

Worcester Up & Down sidings 1985 by Jamerail

DBR2-120

I was a bit puzzled by this as it didn't look like anywhere in Worcester that I recognised, but I htink it's actually in Hereford.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Andy Kirkham said:

I was a bit puzzled by this as it didn't look like anywhere in Worcester that I recognised, but I htink it's actually in Hereford.

Worcester Sidings were in Hereford, so yes it is Hereford.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1