Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

• RMweb Premium

Fenit, SW Ireland, from Ernie Brack

CIE  1960-09-16 Fenit a

http://www.traleefenitgreenway.com/history/

The Tralee to Fenit railway was opened in 1887 with grand ambitions of capturing some of the valuable Trans-Atlantic trade, sadly this never came to pass and the line closed for regular passenger traffic in 1935 but remained in use for goods traffic, the beat (sic) campaign as well as excursions and summer specials up until 1978.

The Tralee-Fenit branch was spared due to the policy of retaining railheads to ports and the proposal by the Great Southern Railway Preservation Society to reopen the Fenit branch as a heritage railway as much of the infrastructure remained intact, as part of this project the track was relaid and an engine brought to Fenit. Sadly these plans never came to fruition and the Fenit branch was to lay derelict until 2010.

• Like 13

Ooh, er! I was expecting a 611 class loco.

Who did that belong to?

Brilliant photos.

The internet knows everything:

The Great Southern & Western Railway Preservation Society had moved it to Fenit station during an aborted attempt to set up a preservation centre on the closed branch from Tralee to Fenit.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

It's actually a very modellable place - approached under a bridge and round a curve. Just enough interest in the track layout - passenger and freight loops, a loading dock and a turntable. The black corrugated shed in the distance had a rail weighbridge adjacent. The tracks used to run out onto the pier to a quay at the end where there were more sidings.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Heading dangerously off on a tangent because none of these photos are on my Flickr, here are the others.

Weighbridge:

scan523.jpg.7240dc4ca18d66fef7138c3e5b0f54c3.jpg

Starter:

scan527.jpg.3b57aa94f17cf46f917776205174ce74.jpg

Loading gauge:

scan526.jpg.97a9f2c5292a47cca2c588a1cf56818b.jpg

View from the road bridge towards Fenit:

scan524.jpg.f3a60e467fc46967bef7cdc354735e12.jpg

View from the road bridge towards Tralee:

scan525.jpg.a74100d92872d7b0fcc8696bddfedec8.jpg

The other end of the pier, from a vintage postcard in my collection. If I could find it, I could do a better scan than this old one!

image.png.c10ad5b0c7022766edcee2a3c9e07910.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I had to look-up what they did/made.

They made cakes and had a string of bakeries and restaurants in towns throughout the north and the borders. I used to spend my old mans luncheon vouchers  (LV) upstairs in here. It's a bl00dy betting shop the noo.

4080760801_8749b19a89_o.jpg042331: Carrick's Restaurant - 10 Market Street, Newcastle, 1982 by Newcastle Libraries, on Flickr

One of their well ventilated vans.

Carricks-Van-West-end-dock-Central.jpg.0ba31987338dcfde13e84d6d9299b28b.jpg

The series of Low Row pics has been debated before on RM web

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Bursnips Road Box, Essington 1965 by Geoff Dowling

Bursnips Road box (pjs,0737)

I remember seeing that in a book after Holly Bank/ Hilton Main colliery closed and thinking what a brilliant place it would be to have as a home. It was very much a ruin at that time but been restored now as seen on street view

Bursnips Rd
https://maps.app.goo.gl/hadwvLnbZWcEx58f8

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

I remember seeing that in a book after Holly Bank/ Hilton Main colliery closed and thinking what a brilliant place it would be to have as a home. It was very much a ruin at that time but been restored now as seen on street view

Bursnips Rd
https://maps.app.goo.gl/hadwvLnbZWcEx58f8

Wow, I bet when people drive past it they would never guess that it used to be a signal box!

• Agree 2

20 years later I had cause to visit the S&C yards at both Beeston and Sandiacre, I remember lots of new turnouts being assembled, and some impressively huge machine tools for shaping switchblades, but sadly no Planets! I do like Planets... 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1