Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Quirky Poll 2021

AY Mod

It might be a bit TOO quirky to attempt anything earlier than Rocket, but it would be nice to have its competitors at Rainhill. A working Cycloped would certainly be a novelty....

Sticking with Rocket, a Planet or a Patentee could be quirky enough and also make use of currently available rolling stock.

Of the list, the only one that I could find a use for and which I would buy would be a streamlined B17, and so have I voted!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Hroth said:

It might be a bit TOO quirky to attempt anything earlier than Rocket, but it would be nice to have its competitors at Rainhill. A working Cycloped would certainly be a novelty....

As would a Novelty.

I agree, it would be challenging to produce a lot of the early locomotives (more's the pity, I love the quirky ideas that people came up with as the technology evolved). Maybe something like Lancashire Witch or Invicta would be doable, but neither of them are as well known as Rocket. To return to Rainhill, I think it might be just about possible to do something like Sans Pareil or Novelty with modern motors, they probably wouldn't be able to pull much though.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/12/2021 at 17:42, darrel said:

Locomotion would be a no brainer. The 200th anniversary is coming up and rocket proved popular. Even if it was a static model it would sell 

I noticed in a Hornby video some while back that behind Simon Kohler on a shelf was a model of Locomotion No.1. A not so subtle hint at a future release maybe?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Denbridge said:

I noticed in a Hornby video some while back that behind Simon Kohler on a shelf was a model of Locomotion No.1. A not so subtle hint at a future release maybe?

I think that is the Bachmann 7mm scale pewter model, it's been there for a while, and was visible in the documentary featuring the famous spat with both Hattons and Rails...

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy

As with (what was) The 00 Wishlist Poll, we make an assumption that models will be made from 'all new tooling' and that includes the chassis. 

I grant you that we haven't specifically stated that in the introduction, but will try to work it in next year.

However, we did ask if the C&M 'was a line' that you would like see made in RTR - not just one loco.

Brian (on behalf of The Quirky Poll Team)

• RMweb Gold

I think I've voted for the Sturrock Steam tender before, so, I'll do it again. 

I would also be interested in Sans Pariel; probably more so than  Rocket.

Some 3'6" stuff please. Either a 19D, or a,..... Oh! and a...... Not forgetting...... Finally a Class25C, and the class 26. Well, I can dream, can't I?

• Like 2

G'Day Folks

Think I'd go for the Sturrock steam tender loco to.

And, for Clive, I'd like to add the rubber wheeled 'Bus' the LMS played around with in the 30's, might have a go at one of those, one of these days.

manna

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Think I'd go for the Sturrock steam tender loco to.

And, for Clive, I'd like to add the rubber wheeled 'Bus' the LMS played around with in the 30's, might have a go at one of those, one of these days.

manna

"The wheels of the bus go round and round, round and round,

The wheels of the bus go round and round, round and round,

All day long."

image.png.6e6723b38ca98285fc437e57f9959a4e.png

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

I see that someone has already voted for Richard Trevithick's Pennydarren.  I remember having the Airfix (?) working model of this as a youngster.  I would love to see this, but think that there would be practical difficulties in reproducing an accurate working mechanism that is reliable.   So may I suggest as an alternative, that other contender in the Rainhill Trials, Timothy Hackworths 'Sans Pareil'.

However, if anyone did bring out 'Ivor the Engine', then it would really make me smile if it also has the correct 'chuff - a puff' sound. :-)

A mention for the Casey Jones 'Cannonball Express' and Lady Penelope tied up in front of a monorail would cover my childhood :-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

"The wheels of the bus go round and round, round and round,

The wheels of the bus go round and round, round and round,

All day long."

image.png.6e6723b38ca98285fc437e57f9959a4e.png

Running with that service number presumably passengers are shaken but not stirred? 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 9

On 11/12/2021 at 16:05, BMacdermott said:

Thanks Andy

As with (what was) The 00 Wishlist Poll, we make an assumption that models will be made from 'all new tooling' and that includes the chassis. 

I grant you that we haven't specifically stated that in the introduction, but will try to work it in next year.

However, we did ask if the C&M 'was a line' that you would like see made in RTR - not just one loco.

Surely if it's been done before it is almost by definition not quirky so I don't see why "All new tooling" is relevant. 

• RMweb Premium

Strangely there’s nothing really floats my boat from the proffered list.  Probably an indication of how much quirky stuff is already available now!

Regarding other suggestions, how about the Janus missile train from James Bond’s Goldeneye film?  Should be a relatively straightforward modification from a Class 20...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, asmay2002 said:

Surely if it's been done before it is almost by definition not quirky so I don't see why "All new tooling" is relevant. 

Hello Andy

Those are the parameters we have set as we feel they are just as reasonable for The Quirky Poll as they were for what was the main Poll.

By contrast, we don't specifically work to any definition of 'quirky' as it is highly subjective. The Oxford English Dictionary says: Having or characterised by peculiar or unexpected traits or aspects.

18 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Brian,

Is it possible to post the link to the detailed poll tables, I've lost track and would like to see  how many of the various top 50's are coming along.

Thanks, sorry for the inconvenience,

And a happy, non-polling, Christmas.

On 30/11/2021 at 10:00, AY Mod said:

Bristol & Exeter Railway Pearson 4-2-4T

Will the manufacturers go for Broad Gauge?

The wheels are already available from the Broad gauge Society..... in 7mm of course.

I doubt that any manufacturer would produce a model due to the fact that video cameras and sound recordings weren't available then !!! :D