Liverpool and Manchester 'Lion'

rapidoandy

58 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Ooh, it says you get two full size ones - best start laying track in the garden :D

Two full size chocolate bars? That’s a novelty these days! Like the old jibe about washing powder coming in four sizes: super, giant, colossal and full.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very pleased to see this. I think it looks splendid. I shall consult the finance committee and most likely invest.

Two questions for @rapidoandy

1. What's the minimum curve radius? 
2. For the DCC fitted version, do you yet know the decoder make/model?

Can't see either mentioned on https://rapidotrains.co.uk/product/liverpool-manchester-railway-lion-1930-condition/

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

A few more shots take at Rails today. Hopefully there will be running video tomorrow.

Lion1_clean_1200.jpgLion2_clean_1200.jpgLion9#_clean_1200.jpgLion10_clean_1200.jpg

My understanding is that it's quite a little powerhouse for its size; how did it feel to you? Looks like a Stirling Single type connector, chip and speaker in the tender I assume?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

My understanding is that it's quite a little powerhouse for its size; how did it feel to you? Looks like a Stirling Single type connector, chip and speaker in the tender I assume?

It felt heavy. All the black bits are die-cast.

The speaker is in the tender. Sound gets out through some sort of witchcraft. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Can someone please clarify that Hornby cancellled it's Lion and removed the Titfield Thunderbolt train pack from it's website?

I read somewhere that it did so after receiving some backlash that it was stealing Rapido's ideas.

It was substantially more than "some backlash"  They were in breach of IP copyright by trying to produce the models without a license and were threatened with legal action unless they withdrew them.

Edited by Titan
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Can someone please clarify that Hornby cancellled it's Lion and removed the Titfield Thunderbolt train pack from it's website?

I read somewhere that it did so after receiving some backlash that it was stealing Rapido's ideas.

My understanding is that the Hornby "Titfield" is cancelled - it was rather more than "stealing Rapido's ideas", Hornby was in breach of copyright as Rapido had paid for the film rights for this model.

"Lion" isn't affected, although they may decide not to go ahead with this model. Only Hornby know their plans for this.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Way too fast.

Someone's forgot a gear stage.

The OO and O gauge track share a power supply, and so you end up giving the smaller scale plenty of juice to get the O gauge moving.

Well done for assesing and failing a model on one short video though. With the benefit of seeing a model on rollers, it's very controlable.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

A few more shots take at Rails today. Hopefully there will be running video tomorrow.

Lion1_clean_1200.jpgLion2_clean_1200.jpgLion9#_clean_1200.jpgLion10_clean_1200.jpg

The coupling arrangements look interesting. The hook on the back of the tender looks as if it has been designed to be compatible with the Hornby system used for Rocket. The tension lock looks like NEM363 but the coupling still sticks out very far. Perhaps that has already been noted and will be addressed. It looks as if it’s coming on well. It’s lovely to see such an ancient machine being modelled.

• Like 1

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Way too fast.

It's no wonder I don't bother to post some original material these days when unnecessary and barbed comments get made. Others feel the same too so negativity does have a consequence.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

The coupling arrangements look interesting.

The Tension Lock, looks like yet another variation on the various versions currently offered.

It appears the T/L has the dovetail built in, meaning there is no socket. Is that correct?

14 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It's no wonder I don't bother to post some original material these days when unnecessary and barbed comments get made. Others feel the same too so negativity does have a consequence.

I saw a post that the Severn Valley Railway did about the repaint of Taw Valley. The amount of Purists and Rivet counters complaining about the livery was insane. Sometimes I wish they just kept their mouths shut.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, melmerby said:

It appears the T/L has the dovetail built in, meaning there is no socket. Is that correct?

It looks like a NEM 363 rather than a NEM 362. The marketing blurb says "NEM pockets" so I'm assuming that it's following a NEM standard. You can get adapters to convert, but I'd imagine the resultant 362 pocket is going to stick out quite a long way from the rear of the tender.

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

I saw a post that the Severn Valley Railway did about the repaint of Taw Valley. The amount of Purists and Rivet counters complaining about the livery was insane. Sometimes I wish they just kept their mouths shut.

i'm not really sure what that lot has to do with a pretty innocuous comment about the speed a model is running at in a video. I thought the same as Miss Prism when I watched it, luckily for me I couldn't be bothered to comment.

Craig W 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I've looked through the thread and Rapido's website and it isn't clear to me if the model will be available in its original L&M condition, but I suspect not. I think it will be in its current condition. 

Can anyone advise please?

1930s, 1980s and Titfield 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1