Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

Seriously pleased, although I have three Hornby versions bought before I decided to boycott them you can never have too many 31s.  The sound fitted price is incredibly keen.  I just need to work out which ones to go for.

Automatic flange squeal?  That'll annoy those who hate DCC sound at exhibitions.  Well done.

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Wasn’t D5511 at Inverness for trials early on? 

Fortunately the ScR must have said no thanks and we got to enjoy 26s and 27s on passenger services instead. Surprised you're interested in these hydraulic killers, Phil!

Despite my personal dislike of 31s, I did go for them on Leicester - Birmingham trains in preference to DMUs.

A good choice to model though and i hope the project does well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nimbus said:

A little disappointed that none of 34B/34G's are in the first run, but maybe that's Accurascale

being considerate about folks' finances in view of the imminent Deltics.

The Nim.

Personally, I think they've shown complete and utter disregard for my personal finances recently.

:jester:

• Like 4
  • Funny 9

4 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

It will also include a wheel flange sensor, automatically playing flange squeal on sound fitted locomotives as they hit curved track for extra realism on factory fitted DCC sound models.

This looks like an interesting feature, I am surprised this hasn't been mentioned already (unless I missed it).

I'll be interested to see how this is done.

2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hmmm, would go well with our HAAs, biomass IIAs and well, we sorta have a chassis block with our 92....

Ahem, think we've caused enough trouble today, back to work and less daydreaming! 

Cheers!

Fran 

Translated into English. "Of course we will do a class 60 as it would go well with our wagons and we have a few bits we can reuse from the class 92, it is in the queue after the class 40 and class 50 though "

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

This looks like an interesting feature, I am surprised this hasn't been mentioned already (unless I missed it).

I'll be interested to see how this is done.

You could do it based on the bogie turning, or some such.

• RMweb Premium

So we have a choice between:

An old tooled, dodgy, long past their sell-by-date offering from Hornby with a new RRP of nearly £230.

Or an all singing all dancing brand new tooled offering by a company who actually cares with an RRP of £170.

Tough choice I reckon...:P

Diesels are of no use to me outside a nice display piece, but these superb projects from Accurascale and Cavalex are severely testing my must not buy resolve.

Now if either company wants to do an all singing all dancing class 50 I'll buy one, or five. ;)

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Well that was my prediction in the more model ideas thread! Great news for all modellers (even though I don’t actually need one at the moment) and in one fell swoop every variant that Hornby have failed to produce over the last 20 years! Accurascale again showing up the former ‘big boys’.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, motorcat said:

Please consider 31116 in infrastructure livery with blue depot plaques in the future!

BR Class 31 31116 'Rail Celebrity' - Crewe

the closest we ever got to Union Pacific, though at least they use blue/white in the logo.

No…

I mean..

No.

Just 

No….

Ppppppplease No.

Purple peril is bad enough without yack yellow.

Not that I believe in censorship, but this livery needs erasing from history…. Remember GBRF havent finished historizing their 69’s yet…lets not give them any hints.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, SHerr said:

Well that was my prediction in the more model ideas thread! Great news for all modellers (even though I don’t actually need one at the moment) and in one fell swoop every variant that Hornby have failed to produce over the last 20 years! Accurascale again showing up the former ‘big boys’.

Shows who listens to the buying public 

• Agree 3

For those who like to do research, the following groups might be of interest.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1690412@N24/ Pre TOPS no "D"

https://www.flickr.com/groups/889529@N24/ Pretty much everything post TOPS

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1841265@N22/Everything ETH

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2011881@N23/The Norwich Birmingham years

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1691087@N24/from new to 1975

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1759674@N25/pool/Banger blue no ETH

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1867207@N25/ Plough fitted

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

It’s got me thinking about future possible releases such Railfreight sector 31s, Departmental grey 31/4 & 31/5, plus BR blue 31/1 in early 80s BR blue unrefurbished like Thornaby’s  31281 & 31283, which lasted until 1989/1990, the latter even appearing on Transpennine North loco hauls. 

Hornby’s had their chance, with both their own super detailed model and the Limby model.

At least Lima use to produce a wide range of liveries and had the tooling for most variants. 

Edited by richierich
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Kylestrome said:

My wallet's just sent me a text message:

"Thank goodness you only model the West Highland!"

As has mine in consequence ofo the WR's early (low) opinion of the Brush Type 2 and its enforced later arrival of Class 31s - which means I miss out on them modelling period wise. phew!   Now about those 'Manors' ... 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Oh I do like a Class 31...and heres a lovely picture of one at Norwich from Steve Wakefield's excellent Flickr site...the Class 31 btw is the loco lurking just above that rather natty former Conflat L TDB50606...now if only (you know the rest).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

1:1 scale of the Hornby model with the tin worm.

On a serious note I look forward to the skin head version in BR Green to replace the one that I sent to Hornby that I lost to mazak rot.

Terry.

• Agree 1