Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

6 hours ago, Obsidian Quarry said:

So we have a choice between:

An old tooled, dodgy, long past their sell-by-date offering from Hornby with a new RRP of nearly £230.

Or an all singing all dancing brand new tooled offering by a company who actually cares with an RRP of £170.

Tough choice I reckon...:P

Diesels are of no use to me outside a nice display piece, but these superb projects from Accurascale and Cavalex are severely testing my must not buy resolve.

Now if either company wants to do an all singing all dancing class 50 I'll buy one, or five. ;)

That was my thought this afternoon when I first saw the blurb.  I have a Hornby skinhead blue 31111 but haven't dared open the box to see how many pieces it is now in. 

I ideally need a GSYP  31 for the mid to late 1960s era so I could shell out for a Hornby version or a cheaper bang up to date model from Accurascale with all the bells and whistles.  Most importantly for DCC modellers which hasn't been mentioned here yet, for accuracy you can select a single tail light, or both tail lights to illuminate according to your chosen operating period.  How great is that ? Accurascale - your innovation is utterly fantastic

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Who'll be the first to do D5835/31302 with the extra grilles?

Flickr pic.

31302_1981_06_Shirebrook

I believe that extra radiator grille was actually for cooling the lube oil when it was uprated to 2000hp.  

The loco lasted into TTG with petroleum branding IIRC

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Accurascale has gone the full Tonto on Hornby…

Ive been saying for 2 years a 31 was a big risk / reward model, on Hornby's at risk list, but would need to be done in stealth.. Accurascale have done exactly that.

Well done Accurascale…

Ive nearly 20 Lima class 31’s… its the only “exclusively” class Lima fleet I have left.

so time for a shuffle me thinks, most of them I made after watching them on Blackpool turns in the early 90’s and gives me a good historical record of which and when… 

my wish lists are for  31413 Severn Valley Railway please, and 31408 Bodicea would look nice with RR mk2b’s. Also consider Dutch 31306 and Redstripe 31242… both long term Manchester Victoria banking engines ( which also turned up on many RR turns, especially as breakdown rescues), of course theres engineers grey… 457/511/512/568 

where to begin..

1. Nice choice on 31421… makes it easy to renumber to 31410 and 31439.

2. Blue 31/4 has been on my list since 1999…. 402, 432, 438, 452, 465, 468, 545… the list goes on…

3. of course Freight 31’s did the very first summer on the blackpools…. Accurascales 31110 + headlight could produce this….

096EA806-6458-461C-A614-683FC211B50D.jpeg.855ded6b274cd591145fd77db24b83a1.jpeg

Thats just the north west…

31101/116 in Dutch/183 Stratford Major Depot/283/327 plus the sectors ones… 160 RfD Phoenix, 275 coal / 296 Aggregates / so many worthy choices.

Happy Camper here... a bit of thinking now I must…

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

Definitely looking forward to this one!

420 was one I remember seeing a lot around here on all manner of traffic in the early 90s, from vac fitted engineers trains rattling through Sutton Park or down the South Staffs to double heading aircons South through Kings Norton and Northfield. That and 432 (maybe a renumber to 415 or 434) will do very nicely indeed; and the inevitable red stripe in due course...

• RMweb Gold

I remember sitting in the Eastern Region CM&EE's ofice in York when my boss asked me to work out whether or not a wheelskate would fit under the centre wheelset of a Class 31. So, down to the drawing office for the GA of the 31, and ignoring the "DO NOT SCALE" written on all drawings, I worked that it "should just about fit."

"Good", says the boss "because we've got one at Tyne Yard that needs one fitting. What are doing tomorrow?" So the following day I'm driving north from York in snow in an HA van.

Eventually fitted the wheelskate under the 31 and it did just about fit with the wheel supports in off centre holes.

Just for that, I would like a 1970s banger blue TOPS version. Maybe sometime.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Absolutely perfect choice, Accurascale! This looks like it's going to be an incredible model, at an incredibly competitive price considering the current state of things too! Just a shame there's no Green/Small-Yellow-Panel version. Would love to see one of the first batch (D5500-5519) in green/SYP!

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Only letdown is no opening doors - I like gimmicks.

Could be a chance A/S get it right and they close properly!

Superb selection, second only to a 40 anyway ...

Al.

I’m not totally against opening doors, but they have to be poseable and actually look like doors inside. The thick versions tried in the past with massive springs visible ain’t very good and ruin the idea 

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, newbryford said:

Are you saying that yellow won't be popular?

Waits for retailer yellow version.....

I am expecting to see a yellow 31 as an Accurascale Exclusive in the same way the yellow 37 was. 

Either way Mick, I assume your wallet will see some action…

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Clive martin said:

great news from a fantastic company ,i am sure the class 31 will be superb looking forward to seeing the refurbished 31/4 in rail blue ,i wonder how a certain margate based company will react to this news?

Obvious . Lots of Railroad 31s in various colour schemes at class 66 price levels . Think the main range version is a goner . 

Edited by Legend
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, PrestburyJack said:

Hi Fran,

Could you please indicate what years apply to each version,

Thank you

Morning @PrestburyJack,

Your wish is our command (well Gareth’s!) 

Dates for the first ten Class 30/31 locos:

Class 31/1    5544    BR blue (pre-TOPS)     Early 1970s
Class 30    D5549    BR green (as delivered)     1959-early 1960s
Class 31/1    5803    BR green w/FYE, Double Arrow    Late 1960s
Class 31/1    31110    Railfreight (white cantrail stripe)      1985-1989
Class 31/1    31128    BR blue (privatisation era)     2009-present
Class 31/4    31409    BR blue w/white stripe    1980-1985
Class 31/4    31420    InterCity Mainline    1992-1995
Class 31/4    31421    Regional Railways    1992-1997
Class 31/4    31432    BR blue (cantrail stripe)    1989-1996
Class 31/5    31514    Civil Engineer's Dutch    1992-1996

Note that these are dates for the liveries as shown by the artwork. In some cases with slight livery modification the period can be extended.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 3
  • Thanks 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

38 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Morning @PrestburyJack,

Your wish is our command (well Gareth’s!) 

Dates for the first ten Class 30/31 locos:

Class 31/1    5544    BR blue (pre-TOPS)     Early 1970s
Class 30    D5549    BR green (as delivered)     1959-early 1960s
Class 31/1    5803    BR green w/FYE, Double Arrow    Late 1960s
Class 31/1    31110    Railfreight (white cantrail stripe)      1985-1989
Class 31/1    31128    BR blue (privatisation era)     2009-present
Class 31/4    31409    BR blue w/white stripe    1980-1985
Class 31/4    31420    InterCity Mainline    1992-1995
Class 31/4    31421    Regional Railways    1992-1997
Class 31/4    31432    BR blue (cantrail stripe)    1989-1996
Class 31/5    31514    Civil Engineer's Dutch    1992-1996

Note that these are dates for the liveries as shown by the artwork. In some cases with slight livery modification the period can be extended.

Cheers!

Fran

An interesting mix with one clear omission ! what  about GREEN small yellow panel  with Lion on wheel crest?

Edited by johnd
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, BrushVeteran said:

Well I managed to do it in it's original guise as D5835. with a Lima example!

IMG_2253.jpg

Lima got the body shape pretty much spot on all those years ago. It was robust, but crude by modern standards and expectations. Last count I had 16 of those, mostly upgraded with Hornby railroad chassis when Hatton's were flogging them off cheap. Now I won't be replacing all of these, but I'll certainly be adding some Accurascale 31's to the fleet.

• Like 1

In reply to legend i think you are correct ,Hornby will flood the market with loads of railroad versions ,i have to say i rather enjoy detailing the railroad 31 but i will only buy them second hand at bargain basement prices, i soon gave up on the main range model as soon as mazark rot became a problem.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Ive nearly 20 Lima class 31’s… its the only “exclusively” class Lima fleet I have left.

so time for a shuffle me thinks, most of them I made after watching them on Blackpool turns in the early 90’s and gives me a good historical record of which and when… 

3. of course Freight 31’s did the very first summer on the blackpools…. Accurascales 31110 + headlight could produce this….

096EA806-6458-461C-A614-683FC211B50D.jpeg.855ded6b274cd591145fd77db24b83a1.jpeg

Thats just the north west…

I remember them on the Blackpool - Manchester run as well, they used to come through Bolton about 08:25.  When I lived in Bolton & worked in Manchester, that was my train of choice.  A Regional Railways 31 and half a dozen slightly shabby Mk1's, including some ex-Network South East examples.  A proper train!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, KDG said:

Lima got the body shape pretty much spot on all those years ago. It was robust, but crude by modern standards and expectations. Last count I had 16 of those, mostly upgraded with Hornby railroad chassis when Hatton's were flogging them off cheap. Now I won't be replacing all of these, but I'll certainly be adding some Accurascale 31's to the fleet.

17 minutes ago, KDG said:

Wow your extra grill conversion is fantastic had me fooled into thinking lima had done the tooling for this loco,like you i will not ditch my fleet of detailed limby models ,i have the irish railway models A class it is superb so i think the 31 will be quite something!

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Clive martin said:

Wow your extra grill conversion is fantastic had me fooled into thinking lima had done the tooling for this loco,like you i will not ditch my fleet of detailed limby models ,i have the irish railway models A class it is superb so i think the 31 will be quite something!

Not me Clive, all Brush Veterans fine work.