J94 in O gauge

meatloaf

Wow, and that's a good price for an O gauge loco too.

I may not be able to resist one for my Manchester Ship Canal layout.

Mol

P.S. Not really sure that Robert A Riddles designed it though. Unless he was moonlighting for Hunslet!

Edited by Mol_PMB
PS
  • Agree 1

Some of these were bought by the Dutch railways, 27 of them I think, becoming NS class 8800. At least one is preserved in the Netherlands. Perhaps Dapol could do a tie-in with a European retailer as they're doing with the 66.

Paul

• Like 2

Two of the Dutch Austerities are preserved in the Netherlands (NS8811 and 8826) but another (HE3155/44) was repatriated to the UK and restored at the Ribble Steam Railway as 'Walkden'.   Photo courtesy of RSR.

Ray.

walkden ribble steam railway.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

I'm a bit less keen on the working inside motion - will Dapol be able to make it robust and reliable? Especially within the price they are quoting.

Has this been a feature of other Dapol locos before?

Yes the pannier tank had it as well. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Time to start nit-picking (is there a way to feed this back to Dapol?)

Compared to the prototype photos I'm looking at (and the one in the announcement), the balance weight on the central wheelset is in the wrong position on both sides. It should be flipped to the other side of the crankpin.

Hopefully there will also be some more details published as to which versions have the various types of chimney, bunker, vacuum brakes or not, extra steps and handrails etc.

The LNER J94s seem to have acquired extra steps and handrails and some other features, while some of the WD ones received vacuum brakes (as did many preserved examples later).

I suspect there were also subtle differences between the locos according to where they were built (Hunslet, Hudswell Clarke, Vulcan, RSH, Bagnall, Barclay and Yorkshire built the type).

I've got a choice of three prototypes for my MSC layout:

MSC 85, WD 75304, Vulcan 5294

MSC 86, WD 71493, Hudswell Clarke 1769

MSC 87, WD 71441, Hunslet 3205

Mol

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mol_PMB said:

Compared to the prototype photos I'm looking at (and the one in the announcement), the balance weight on the central wheelset is in the wrong position on both sides. It should be flipped to the other side of the crankpin.

Yes, I checked quite a few and agree. 
Contact form here,

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=information/contact

• Like 1

And to nitpick the nitpickers, have a look at photos of the real thing. The centre wheel balance weights are nearly adjacent to the crankpins, because the inside cranks are 180 degrees out of phase with the connecting rods. Kevin.

5 minutes ago, kes said:

And to nitpick the nitpickers, have a look at photos of the real thing. The centre wheel balance weights are nearly adjacent to the crankpins, because the inside cranks are 180 degrees out of phase with the connecting rods. Kevin.

They are, but they are adjacent on the other side of the crankpins! 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

I would suggest that all that is wrong, is that the centre axle/wheelset has been fitted the

wrong way round. So just a case of assembling correctly, not re-designing/changing.

I know it sounds picky but there were single buffer beam gussets on the early WD Austerities. Later batches, built new for the NCB etc. had double gussets. I don't, of course, know if the tooling can allow for this. I'm sure this will be a popular model with plenty of options for 'personalisation'.

Cheers,

Ray.

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, coeurdelyon said:

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your input, we have corrected this, fortunately the tooling for the wheels has not been completed

thanks again

Regards Richard

Thanks for that Richard, the effort going into the O gauge range just keeps going!

• Agree 1

Yes flipping please :) I love Austerities, I was hoping Dapol would go for one as it seemed such a logical choice with their focus on smaller locomotives. Fits nicely with my planned (well, pipe dream) West Mids industrial layout as the NCB had 2 at Baggeridge Colliery...

• Agree 1