J94 in O gauge

meatloaf

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

That looks rather lushy. 

The way the spokes flare out to the centre of the wheels is an Austerity trademark, really distinctive, and they look to have captured this really well. 

Will I be able to just buy one though.....I doubt it!

One thing I didn’t like about the 00 version was that the face of the spokes didn’t look as flat as they should. I wonder if it was caused by paint beading on them. I also note that the injectors look more like the RT Models’ cast replacements than the plastic ones on the 00 version. I think the injectors were another weak point; not too bad when black but the rather nice metallic finish on some versions drew attention to their shortcomings.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Just seen this. I was firmly in the OO camp until then.

Now...  not so sure. I think it's the idea of the inside motion that actually moves. Only ever seen that once for OO and that was in kit form. Never seen it for RTR.

However, I barely have room for an OO layout, though. No idea where I'd put an O gauge one!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

Just seen this. I was firmly in the OO camp until then.

Now...  not so sure. I think it's the idea of the inside motion that actually moves. Only ever seen that once for OO and that was in kit form. Never seen it for RTR.

However, I barely have room for an OO layout, though. No idea where I'd put an O gauge one!

Go on, you know you want to.  If you look around you can find some good layouts in quite small spaces.  If nothing else a shunting plank using the J94 as motive power will get you going.  There are quite a lot of RTR wagons about now and broad range of kits from Peco/Parkside, Slaters and others.

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Nile said:

Their O gauge 5700 has it, although it's not easy to see.

Yes, I have one, and after the first minute of wonderment at it, have never actually noticed it again - my layout is quite high so the viewline isn't looking down between the frames.  As they are very reasonably priced it isn't something I could say they wasted money on, but it isn't immediately noticeable.  Still, nice to know it's there!

I'm really looking forward to seeing the livery proofs of these locos.

11 hours ago, BroadLeaves said:

Winner of two awards at the show, was Queens Street Yard - and it's only 2.5m long including the fiddle yard.

QSY7.jpg

We've a set of photos in the bag, and are lining up a future feature on this gem in the home of inspitation - British Railway Modelling magazine!

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Winner of two awards at the show, was Queens Street Yard - and it's only 2.5m long including the fiddle yard.

QSY7.jpg

We've a set of photos in the bag, and are lining up a future feature on this gem in the home of inspitation - British Railway Modelling magazine!

Hm. Just over 8'. Trim off a couple of inches and it should fit stacked up against a wall if the ceiling is the standard 8'. I have a couple of 8' × 2' frames and it keeps gnawing at my brain that an 8' × 4' sheet of ply sawn longitudinally might form the basis of an 0 shunting plank and a 009 layout. Sadly, there’s a lot else which needs to be done first.

• Like 1

On 04/09/2022 at 16:56, Nile said:

The Longmoor ones had AVB for passenger trains.

But I don't think any of them had the extended bunker. AFAIK all the locos modified with the extended bunker were steam braked only - but happy to be corrected though.

Ray.

Hi Ray,

The EP samples are not indicative of any production models. Please note the various fittings are for checking only.

I can assure you the actual productions will have the correct components, for example the LNER model will have the extended bunker and extra central step plus other fittings according to a picture of the prescribed model, and yes you are correct these versions were only steam braked.

Regards,

Richard

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 months later...

I see that one of the first offerings will be in WD black. May I ask the learned people on here what time period would this be suitable for, also what time period the WD green livery would cover? Thanks, but I'm normally a banger blue 08 fan.

Cheers,

Paul

1 hour ago, Hippel said:

I see that one of the first offerings will be in WD black. May I ask the learned people on here what time period would this be suitable for, also what time period the WD green livery would cover? Thanks, but I'm normally a banger blue 08 fan.

Cheers,

Paul

Black for those on home service from introduction (1943) until demob (in the 7xxxx number range), green or kahki/brown for those destined for overseas service ... except some of the green ones didn't go straight overseas , so you can justifiably run both colours on a WW2 era layout ... although whether the green ones would have been seen on Big Four metals is another matter.

Post war / demob (1947/48) all the military ones went green ... aside from the LMR blue ones of course (1945 onwards).

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Thanks for being my eyes at Warley Ade.  The J94 is on preorder (just the bog standard BR version) and I hadn't realized it had inside motion, very neat.  This is the first time I've seen that on a mass produced model and for a good price.  I have two others with working inside motion, a J50 and J39 both from San Cheng (Fine Scale Brass) and you get to pay for the privilege.

John

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, brossard said:

Thanks for being my eyes at Warley Ade.  The J94 is on preorder (just the bog standard BR version) and I hadn't realized it had inside motion, very neat.  This is the first time I've seen that on a mass produced model and for a good price.  I have two others with working inside motion, a J50 and J39 both from San Cheng (Fine Scale Brass) and you get to pay for the privilege.

John

i think the Dapol pannier has it too

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/11/2023 at 13:04, Adrian Stevenson said:

I rather liked the War Department example. 

Agree Abe.

The “British Railway” livery looks awful to me.  Positioning and size of font may be an issue.

l will purchase one however as I want the extended bunker version.

Edited by D5158
Updated my comment.

• 3 months later...