Trewithen, BR/WR BLT.

Andrew P

Off to Andover shortly (Breakfast at Kevin's local greasy spoon may be involved, 😝   its actually very good), to help Kevin @Hampshire Hog dismantle his Millway Dock Layout ready to take to the Brockenhurst Show at the weekend.

I'll be there on the Saturday and may even get a chance to crash a few Trains and have something ending up in the Dock. 🤓

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Hi Simon, There are Magnets set into the cork, so below the Sleeper level, see below. Home made from Ex Works badges, but you you can buy the Magnets on E-Bay for pennies.

IMG_7777.JPG.5dc8a19456230e7c7aa647ad871f2fa5.JPG

I REMOVED THE ROUND MAGNETS FROM THE BAR.

IMG_7781.JPG.a77f020e900576df3bceb6c7c5384058.JPG

IMG_7780.JPG.e2eb48e1cbf3ff979bd1d5b61d1a6ed9.JPG

Thanks Andy - that’s really helpful. I have a pile of similar disc magnets so I’ll dig through those

I’m trying to get all my build tasks in order before fixing track down…

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jazzer said:

The buffer stop in the goods siding looks very convincing Andy. Where did it come from .

They are the Peco, Bullhead Rail ones, I find I need to trim off the inner part of the claw over the Rail to fit on Code 75 or 100 Track, but yes, they are rather nice, and cheap.

DSCF0025.JPG.e3e0ef1bbd15bf7c4182dfe786559b37.JPG

DSCF0175.JPG.3eac63089559a028bfdf8ab632f395c3.JPG

1951045939_DSCF0175-Copy.JPG.8d8e006dbd16396b0d9745b4da50affe.JPG

• Like 16

I caught up on the latest video this morning whilst having breakfast. Very enjoyable as always and some useful tips on ballasting which may come in handy if the modelling motivation returns and I get a chance to breathe some life into one of my stalled projects. 

More impressive photos too. The more I see this layout develop, the more I see shades of Pencarne which, as I am sure I have mentioned, was my favourite of all of the builds I have followed. This one could well be challenging it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, andyram said:

I caught up on the latest video this morning whilst having breakfast. Very enjoyable as always and some useful tips on ballasting which may come in handy if the modelling motivation returns and I get a chance to breathe some life into one of my stalled projects. 

More impressive photos too. The more I see this layout develop, the more I see shades of Pencarne which, as I am sure I have mentioned, was my favourite of all of the builds I have followed. This one could well be challenging it. 

Cheers Andy, and glad you found some useful tips, get back to some REAL modelling Andy. 👍

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 20/05/2022 at 14:48, gismorail said:

Sheer bodgery in all it’s glory Mr Peter’s. Thinking of what was said earlier on “net curtains” cut up into strips would make a strong scenic base with liberal amounts of PVA glue 😜

Net curtains, bandages and lint have all been 'saved' and used'.  The problem is the 'Why are you keeping that I threw it out' syndrome. Net are in fact better than bandages as they offer much less resistance when taking a layout apart as Andy P does frequently.  He enjoys running but eventually the favoured 'build mojo' returns following of which the variety gives us enormous pleasure on this site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

Net curtains, bandages and lint have all been 'saved' and used'.  The problem is the 'Why are you keeping that I threw it out' syndrome. Net are in fact better than bandages as they offer much less resistance when taking a layout apart as Andy P does frequently.  He enjoys running but eventually the favoured 'build mojo' returns following of which the variety gives us enormous pleasure on this site.

Cheers Peter, "T" will be around for a few more weeks yet, there's still loads to do, and you MAY see some more of what's to come in next Fridays Video all being well.

Whatever I decide, next Fridays will be fun. 🤪

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I use corrugated card for profiles thin card strip woven over them all fixed with the hot glue gun then old newspaper torn into pieces with pva layered on gives a nice hard shell easy to cut through with a stanley knife.   The photos did appear in the modeller, they are missing on here and will be on the old PC somewhere haven't put them on the new one yet.

Don

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Donw said:

I use corrugated card for profiles thin card strip woven over them all fixed with the hot glue gun then old newspaper torn into pieces with pva layered on gives a nice hard shell easy to cut through with a stanley knife.   The photos did appear in the modeller, they are missing on here and will be on the old PC somewhere haven't put them on the new one yet.

Don

Sounds like another excellent method Don, and cheaper than mine with no Masking Tape to purchase. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Sounds like another excellent method Don, and cheaper than mine with no Masking Tape to purchase. 

Just a couple of photos seeing as they are now missing from my thread

IMG_2026.JPG.aaca2716b79df5cf1ce145e2dcf1274c.JPGIMG_2028.JPG.b83d500a8d66b70bfee441d5a89d68fc.JPG

I think the white card might have been from a new shirt  just cut into strips  and you can see on the left where I have been pasting  bits of newspaper on . the more layers you add the stronger the surface. Old card, hot glue newspaper and PVA whats not to like.

Don 

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

QUESTION, My pics appear grainy, and yet I shrink them to 1047 x 805 Pixels, the same as I've always done on here. The same pics on another Forum appear much sharper. What size do you guys use for posting on here?

Compare the pic above with the link below, the same pic at the same re sized 1047 x 805.

https://www.westernthunder.co.uk/threads/trewithen.10496/page-10#post-251285

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

On my slow broadband your full size pic takes an age to download, for little visible difference on my 17 inch monitor. Personally, I prefer the original. Excellent pics, though. Trevor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pwr said:

Don't forget to fence the line Andy. Its a legal requirement don't you know!

Paul R

Were you a Slave driver in a former life Paul?😙

The grass is probably still wet with PVA, besides good quality fence posts are in short supply at the moment, (well the truth is, the pack of Peco Fencing is in the box, and I cant be bothered to bend down and get it at the moment). 😃

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, shedman said:

On my slow broadband your full size pic takes an age to download, for little visible difference on my 17 inch monitor. Personally, I prefer the original. Excellent pics, though. Trevor

Thanks for the feedback Trevor, very useful. 👍.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An ALMOST good days Videoing today, ready for Fridays Video No 10.

I came in to download it from the camera, and the last 9 or 10 shots never came out, and would not up load to the computer or play on the camera. So I had to go back out and start again trying to remember where I'd got to, and what I'd done and wanted. 😡

It all seems good now so just a case of Editing it tomorrow and getting it ready for Friday morning.🙄

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3