Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Iain Rice

Jol Wilkinson

RIP. I only met Iain once, very briefly a few years ago, but felt privileged to have talked to him in person and thanked him for his contribution to the hobby.

His books on layout design and improving RTR locos and stock are cornerstones of railway modelling literature and his influence on all areas of railway modelling general cannot be overstated. One of the giants of the hobby.

Edited by SD85
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

Saddened to read of the passing of Iain Rice.  A modeller who inspired so many modellers.

At least we can still thumb through all his publications and continue to be inspired. (Alisdair)

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

I only met Iain twice at Larkrail shows and enjoyed his layouts and the group chatting around his layout immeasurably. His writing was as enthusiastic and full of ideas as he was in person and I devoured his plans in the planning books both UK and US and the short lived MORILL mag. 
A quiet giant of the hobby, thank you Iain, we will miss you. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I never met Iain, but he had one of the loudest and most influential voices in my modelling journey.

I'm deeply saddened by his passing, but am thankful that his words have been immortalized in multiple books. No one else has made Finescale modelling feel as achievable as him.

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 7
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

A great man for this hobby throughout his life and will be greatly missed by many.

I met him on several occasions over the period from 1976 to 2000 and always went away feeling I had learned something from what we discussed.

When you think of the range of subjects his modelling has covered over the years, plus the other aspects of the hobby he worked on, he was a phenomenal resource!

Time to add another section to my library of his books and articles.

Phil H

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

That's sad news,a true inspiration. I've a few of his books and they are always go to's for ides and reference. He will be sorely missed, my thoughts go out to his family and friends. RIP Ian Rice, a true legend of our great hobby. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I was in need of some inspiration earlier on today and it was to a couple of his track planning books that I immediately turned to.

And now he has gone and there will be no more of his writings and plans to looks forward to.

My thoughts are with his family.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

This is sad news to hear and all his family are in my thoughts tonight. Like many here I have enjoyed a number of his books, and I watched him demoing at an exhibition many years ago. I'm very fortunate to have a small  layout based on one of his shunting track plans. 5 wagons can be a very complex shunting puzzle, and I'm often boxing myself in !! I will have a little reflective shunting session later this week. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I worked with Iain on the construction of the original "Lakebank". Every layout I have built in the last 25 years owes a huge amount to his ideas, and will continue to do so. He helped me to enormously improve my modelling: He was generous with his help and inspiration. and I owe him a huge debt of gratitude.

As well as his skill as a modeller, he was a great linguist. I was particularly impressed that whena working for French and Dutch model railway magazines, he recorded his ideas in the language of the magazine.

Alex

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Saddened to hear this.  A truly inspirational modeller and author.

My introduction to finescale modelling came from my late father building a layout based around a series of magazine articles written by Iain.  My own views on layout design and presentation owe a lot to the ideas that he has shared in his writing.  RIP Iain and thank you.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Oh wow, Iain Rice is one of those names that is a huge part of the history and progression of the hobby.

Artisan is not a word I use often, but I feel it appropriate in Iain's case. With sympathies to his family and friends.

His legacy is there for all in his books and kits. Rest In Peace, sir, and thank you. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

Oh no, that is such sad news and I can't really take it in -I had only just read his cameo layout book from cover to cover the other week and had learnt so much new from it, even after 40 years of  finescale modelling inspired by his work. He was the friendly voice of finescale modelling  who made it straightforward, practical and, above all, enjoyable. RIP IAR.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3