EBay madness

Marcyg

8 minutes ago, 5944 said:

Not just used, but abused...

50p in the bargain bin would be pushing it!

Its probably another new trainee.  Perhaps they get a small bonus and the offer of a more "permanent" job if they reach certain targets?

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Rather begs the question of why the first trader hadn't put them on ebay rather than bringing them to the show, if that would have given them the better return?

I know of some traders who won't use e-bay.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

The pay-on-the-door punters getting the dirty-end-of-the-stick from 'the trade [Craft]' once again? It's always depressing at a show when a trader informs you that he had brought a collection of kit-built locos with him but another [named] trader had bought all he had before the doors opened. A day or so later eBay shows you what you might have bought for a reasonable price. I know this is the nature of the beast, but what may be good for the traders, may be bad for the hobby?

It was exactly the same when I used to do autojumbles.

The dealers all trying to unload your van at 7am and you were still hung over.

Mind you, I used to enjoy the looks you got when they said: "Will you take a fiver for this old headlamp sonny? It's a bit dented." To which I would respond with "Of course, you do know what bike it's off?....." They wouldn't even make an offer.

You'd doubtless then sell it to a very satisfied civilian customer for £80 about fifteen minutes after the gates opened.

• Funny 3

Just now, PhilJ W said:

I know of some traders who won't use e-bay.

Quite, a friend of mine has been dealing in locos and stock since the late seventies. He has barely mastered the use of a mobile for phone calls.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 5944 said:

That coaling tower isn't far off the state of the one at Carnforth these days!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

14 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It was exactly the same when I used to do autojumbles.

The dealers all trying to unload your van at 7am and you were still hung over.

Mind you, I used to enjoy the looks you got when they said: "Will you take a fiver for this old headlamp sonny? It's a bit dented." To which I would respond with "Of course, you do know what bike it's off?....." They wouldn't even make an offer.

You'd doubtless then sell it to a very satisfied civilian customer for £80 about fifteen minutes after the gates opened.

And that civilian customer would go home happy with his/her purchase, possibly with your business card in their pocket, and looking forward to seeing you again on the show circuit.

• Agree 3

16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Quite, a friend of mine has been dealing in locos and stock since the late seventies. He has barely mastered the use of a mobile for phone calls.

He'll be the type of trader its a pleasure to do business with at a show! 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Paul H Vigor said:

And that civilian customer would go home happy with his/her purchase, possibly with your business card in their pocket, and looking forward to seeing you again on the show circuit.

The autojumbles were to a lot of people, a means of clearing out the shed full of junk they had to buy in order to get the bike or parts they wanted. They'd spend the profits on more parts and junk to sell. It made your hobby pay for itself and saved a lot of stuff going to the scrapyard (The ultimate in "green" motoring.), only when too many people tried to make a full time job of selling parts (rather than complete vehicles) did prices go through the roof. I used to see things I'd originally found and sold go around the dealers year after year, increasing in price, to the point where nobody would buy them.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

The autojumbles were to a lot of people, a means of clearing out the shed full of junk they had to buy in order to get the bike or parts they wanted. They'd spend the profits on more parts and junk to sell. It made your hobby pay for itself and saved a lot of stuff going to the scrapyard (The ultimate in "green" motoring.), only when too many people tried to make a full time job of selling parts (rather than complete vehicles) did prices go through the roof. I used to see things I'd originally found and sold go around the dealers year after year, increasing in price, to the point where nobody would buy them.

The same thing seems to happen with model railway equipment. It has become ever harder to 'liberate' models from the trader's eternal maelstrom. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

6 hours ago, 5944 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134124575420?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=7NGT9XstTyC&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=dltlllrnrym&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I assume they've got someone new doing the eBay side of things. The photos aren't as good and the prices are a bit keen at times, but those are just fit for the bin!

Quite reminiscent of Carnforth last time I was close enough to see its concrete cancer.

Provide your own Dangerous Structure notices and safety fencing

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 5944 said:

Looks like something from the Donbas region....

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

57 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Scroll back 25 years or so to all those Lima limited edition diesels. What are they really worth? 

Puts me in mind of the Viz Comic Franklyn Mint Mr Kipling Chess set!

We could ask mr. Gostude. I think he has some for sale.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Scroll back 25 years or so to all those Lima limited edition diesels. What are they really worth? 

Puts me in mind of the Viz Comic Franklyn Mint Mr Kipling Chess set!

As the owner of two, not nearly enough :D

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

17 hours ago, 5944 said:

AHH...

But the coaling stage is boxed! 😉😀

It looks like some bits from the coaling stage are in the ash plant photo...🤔

🐉🙋🏼‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

12 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

Just because that's what he's asking, it doesn't follow that he'll get that much for it.    At least he's prepared to consider offers though I doubt he would accept what I think would be a fair price.

Anything in that livery does seem popular, and although I think those locos have been going for about half that, it is definitely a model that seems to be in demand.  So I wouldn't be too surprised if I saw one being fought over in an auction, and he may think it has a chance at that price having seen such an episode.

Certainly no harm in trying it on if you're not really in a hurry for the money; somebody with more money than sense might bite.  Or perhaps he doesn't really want to sell it - if a stranger offered you silly money for one of your RTR locos, would you accept it?  So why not put them up on ebay at a price that you'd let them go, and if sold replace with something else.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Hroth said:

Not just used, but abused...

50p in the bargain bin would be pushing it!

Its probably another new trainee.  Perhaps they get a small bonus and the offer of a more "permanent" job if they reach certain targets?

If you go to the Model Shop Guide thread you'll find that Rails were advertising for staff a couple of months back...

Look for the comment that I made at the time...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Anything in that livery does seem popular, and although I think those locos have been going for about half that, it is definitely a model that seems to be in demand.  So I wouldn't be too surprised if I saw one being fought over in an auction, and he may think it has a chance at that price having seen such an episode.

I have just managed to get Bachmann's current offering of 24061/ 97201 in RTC livery for the princely sum of £91 plus postage, which is approximately half of Bachmann's recommended retail price, from an Ebay auction. I was proper chuffed with that.

• Like 2