EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

Here it is:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275369878674

Shoddy amateur repaint, acceptable thirty years ago but not now especially for a penny shy of two hundred sheets.  Hairs and fluff all over the black on the upper bodyside, awful effort.

'Hover to zoom' as the Ebay caption says to reveal the horror in greater depth....

I thought that the adhering bits and bobs were an attempt at weathering....

Reminds me of the sort of dodgy car resprayer that operates from a decaying shed at the back of a run-down industrial estate.

If £200 is too steep, he'll do you an orange/black frightliner class 90 for a mere £150...

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

I thought that the adhering bits and bobs were an attempt at weathering....

Reminds me of the sort of dodgy car resprayer that operates from a decaying shed at the back of a run-down industrial estate.

If £200 is too steep, he'll do you an orange/black frightliner class 90 for a mere £150...

I don’t know what is worse, someone claiming to be a professional putting out that sub-standard quality consistently, or a retailer trying to command those prices and play down just have c**p they are. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

Screenshot_20220713-051042_Chrome.jpg.900c65804d10af5b5105248b56c83324.jpg

How much for a Lima class 59? The most expensive Dapol new tool is only £187.

I’m now minded to update my seller profile pic if it means I can try to get £300 for my old, yet equally ‘amazing’, Mainline 03 😉

Edited by 40152
  • Funny 6

2 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

Screenshot_20220713-051042_Chrome.jpg.900c65804d10af5b5105248b56c83324.jpg

How much for a Lima class 59? The most expensive Dapol new tool is only £187.

Well, you can get a new Hornby Class 59 , "exactly" the same as the Lima version for £87 inc delivery from Hattons, though it does have an updated motor and an 8 pin DCC socket. which you don't get with a Lima one.  If you want the silver Yeoman livery, you could bid on this Lima body on eBay, starting at £20 (+ £4 delivery).

If eBay madness takes you up to the average bodyshell price of £50, £89 + £54 comes to £143, which at the price above would leave you with £119.20 for a decoder.  If the livery wasn't a problem you would save £54 on the Lima bodyshell.

How much does the Loksound decoder* retail for?

And once you've got the Lima loco and decoder, you still have to hardwire it into the Lima, with lots of lovely soldering!

* Olivias, who aren't necessarily the cheapest in town, will do a Loksound ESU 58-410 with a Class 59 soundscape for £120 plus £7 for a speaker, so a Hornby 59 plus a Lima Yeoman livery body, plus a decoder and speaker will come, amazingly close to the advertised eBay price.  As I said, if you don't want the Yeoman livery, you can save £54.  A Dapol 59 plus decoder, would be around £314...

Ok stirring the kettle of fish a bit more, you can get a complete Lima Silver Yeoman livery 59 for £80.50 inc delivery. Adding the decoder and speaker from Olivias to that would cost about £207.50....

Don't Hornby do a Class 59 TTS set?  Their diesel TTS sounds aren't too bad and would suit a Lima (or Hornby) model!     

Edited by Hroth
More thorts....
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Well, you can get a new Hornby Class 59 , "exactly" the same as the Lima version for £87 inc delivery from Hattons, though it does have an updated motor and an 8 pin DCC socket. which you don't get with a Lima one.  If you want the silver Yeoman livery, you could bid on this Lima body on eBay, starting at £20 (+ £4 delivery).

If eBay madness takes you up to the average bodyshell price of £50, £89 + £54 comes to £143, which at the price above would leave you with £119.20 for a decoder.  If the livery wasn't a problem you would save £54 on the Lima bodyshell.

How much does the Loksound decoder retail for?

And once you've got the Lima loco and decoder, you still have to hardwire it into the Lima, with lots of lovely soldering!

Oooh - I think this is all "Sam's" fault as he recently reviewed the Dapol JHA hoppers and used one of these to pull them round, so this seller is obviously trying to ride on the coattails of the 16,355 views that review got!

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

My local antiques boutique with the horrifyingly overpriced Great Bulbous Lumps just put this in the window, needs TLC...

20220715_205449.thumb.jpg.216a2d38a800f5965c1f8ad78bb624be.jpg

Needs a decent burial more like...

• Funny 9

35 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It just needs a little glue along the edges of the roof and a suitable weight to press it back down.

Or a hot air gun and hold the lid down with an old screwdriver.

Then put it in a 6" vice* and screw the jaws in firmly...

* They're 6" coaches, so they should fit nicely!

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

The alternative at the time was HD; 3-rail, tinplate with printed sides, and the same underscale length as the Triangs.  You paid your money, more fore the HD which was less detailed, and you took your choice.  Trix’s Staniers were even more of a joke…

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Or a hot air gun and hold the lid down with an old screwdriver.

Then put it in a 6" vice* and screw the jaws in firmly...

* They're 6" coaches, so they should fit nicely!

Excellent. 

Don't forget to employ British Rail standard torque settings when closing the vice.

That being tighten it up until it squeaks and then another half turn for luck.

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

My local antiques boutique with the horrifyingly overpriced Great Bulbous Lumps just put this in the window, needs TLC...

Whilst perusing the Urban Dictionary I found another definition of TLC!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The alternative at the time was HD; 3-rail, tinplate with printed sides, and the same underscale length as the Triangs.  You paid your money, more fore the HD which was less detailed, and you took your choice.  Trix’s Staniers were even more of a joke…

INNN the RED CORNAH!

The Triang R0 Princess set, with banana roofs!

INNN the BLUE CORNAH!

The Hornby Dublo 3-rail Silver King set, with blood'n'custard tinplate!

I haven't checked either set recently. Last time I looked, the Triang coaches were still straight and there wasn't any mazak rot in the Hornby box.

Like Schrödinger's cat, I won't look yet....

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Ah, from the period where Clerestory tried to make a comeback. Didn't quite make it, sadly.

• Funny 6

13 minutes ago, Ncarter2 said:

Questions:

Why does the info box say that its both digital and dcc ready. And that its new, brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged.

Then further down the description says that it has been resprayed and new transfers applied.

Sounds like its NOT brand-new, its used, its been opened and could be described as damaged. Oh, and that its definitely analogue.

Answer: Its a used item. Also, the spray job isn't that good, there's a slight orange peel effect on the cab roofs, and at one end the cab roof has been scraped after spraying...

HOW MUCH???

Edited by Hroth
spelin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Questions:

Why does the info box say that its both digital and dcc ready. And that its new, brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged.

Then further down the description says that it has been resprayed and new transfers applied.

Sounds like its NOT brand-new, its used, its been opened and could be described as damaged. Oh, and that its definitely analogue.

Answer: Its a used item. Also, the spray job isn't that good, there's a slight orange peel effect on the cab roofs, and at one end the cab roof has been scraped after spraying...

HOW MUCH???

I like how the orange can’t rail stripe goes under the rain strip over one door, then under it at the other end. Only on one side, does that make it a limited edition 😬
Can’t tell if it’s the light or not, but the headlights look cloudy. 
My other concern would be the bogies, I know there have been numerous reports that they are broken when models have been received from

said seller. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, ianmacc said:

In all seriousness is there a way to return this old triang stuff to straight? Assuming anybody would want to? 

Warm/hot water perhaps? I's not something I've tried with these but has worked in the past with similar items.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

R0 was the original Black Princess set with 7” coaches purporting to be LMS, this being etched on the sides.  The roofs distorted upwards at the ends.  These were the next generation, about 1956, 8”, recognisable Staniers, in blood’n’custard and malachite; the roofs warped upwards in the middle.   Next development was 9” mk1s, with brake and restaurant, in blood/custard & maroon (can’t remember them in malachite).  The restaurant car had interior fittings.  Matching 9” Pullmans were also available, also with interiors including turned brass table lamps.  The original bogie PLV and the shorty clerestories date from this period.  All had separate underframe detail riveted on, but no actual underframes. 

Final development under the Triang banner were 10” scale length mk1s, with interiors, on proper underframes, which survived into Triang Hornby and (Margate) Hornby days. 

HD brought out their ‘Super Detail’ mk1s about the same time as Triang’s 10”, but still with tinplated printed sides.  Liveries were much better than Triang’s and included WR choc/cream, and they were 9”.  Paradoxically, HD’s BG was scale length and Triang’s was overlength, because it used the same underframe as the rest of the range. 

Someone once told me that the HD mk1s were scale length in H0, but with 00 height and width; I’ve never done the sums to check this, and even if it was true I doubt that it was intentional.  The coaches looked proportionate to the shortened pacifics they were to be hauled by, and this probably was!

The company loyalty rivalry at the time was palpable; we were kids, HD was middle class and Triang working class, and even when HD brought out 2-rail, couplings ensured incompatibility.  HD were to finer wheel profiles, and their valve gear was amazing: Triang had more moulded detail in the plastic toolings.  HD’s printed tinplate liveries were quantum better, but the coaches were toy length.   Both had ugly couplings, but Triang’s was more reliable in operation.  Both had dogs in thier ranges, toy-length pacifics, HD’s Deltic, Triang’s useless 08 and the 3MT with silly wheels.  HD happily filled their cabs with motors; Triang never did, at least on tender locos; even the Rovex Black Princess had backhead detail. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, ianmacc said:

In all seriousness is there a way to return this old triang stuff to straight? Assuming anybody would want to? 

I've had quite good results putting the roofs in the microwave for 30 seconds on the defrost setting. While they're  still warm, turn 'em over onto a small, wooden chopping board, press flat(ter) and run under a cold tap. Van roofs not so great, but the Rovex shortie coaches can be brought back in line. At that low setting you can leave the bogies on too...🤓

Edited by 33C
Missing letter.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 minutes ago, 33C said:

I've had quite good results putting the roofs in the microwave for 30 seconds on the defrost setting. While they're  still warm, turn 'em over onto a small, wooden chopping board and run under a cold tap. Van roofs not so great, but the Rovex shortie coaches can be brought back in line. At that low setting you can leave the bogies on too...🤓

Serve with new potatoes, carrots and peas! 👨‍🍳

• Agree 1
  • Funny 8