EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394172599629?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=f94r8mbxqas&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=dltlllrnrym&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

£11 including postage, or you can buy the same brand new from N Brass Locos for half that price (£1.60 x 2 plus postage).

n22720brtotemweb.gif

I've never had the pleasure of looking through their listings before. I remember seeing boxes of junk at swapmeets labelled "any item £1". I never thought for one minute that 25 years later the stuff would be on eBay for fifty quid!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, John Besley said:

Interesting use of guttering for the roof... I have several lengths in my garden at the mo.... Shall I sell them as spares " previously loved 00 gauge roofing"

It would be quite amusing to see a coach model complete with a full set of roof guttering and down pipes!

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, DCB said:

Re built from pre war parts, pre Ukraine war presumably.   I don't blame them for selling it, I certainly woudn't want to own it or admit to re building it.   Could fit a niche on a Far Twittering and Oysterperch tribute layout.

Perhaps this is what Americans would describe as a 'Combine-harvester Car'?

• Funny 1

36 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

It would be quite amusing to see a coach model complete with a full set of roof guttering and down pipes!

I don't attach them to model buildings, it never rains in model railway land, so their existence is 'implied'.  It might be fun to create a fantasy light railway* with guttering and downspouts on its only coach!

* Can't say Titfield, Rapido and Studio Canal would be down on one like a ton** of rectangular building modules...

** Or tonne for the metrically inclined.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

7 hours ago, Hroth said:

I don't attach them to model buildings, it never rains in model railway land, so their existence is 'implied'.  It might be fun to create a fantasy light railway* with guttering and downspouts on its only coach!

* Can't say Titfield, Rapido and Studio Canal would be down on one like a ton** of rectangular building modules...

** Or tonne for the metrically inclined.

Dare I say it Dan's house?

• Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

Dare I say it Dan's house?

You're a brave man...

Actually, I was just thinking, a Dapol Lowmac kit and a Ratio small grounded carriage kit would make a good representation of it!

Edited by Hroth
An agent provocateur......
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, mattyr said:

Looks as if someone's done a conversion, a pretty good one by appearances but why?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

16 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Looks as if someone's done a conversion, a pretty good one by appearances but why?

A faster and more powerful alternative to a 153? Perhaps for stopping services on fast lines with some very lightly used stations, or where trains from a small branch line have to run some distance along a faster/busier mainline?

Or in model terms, for someone who only has space for single car units, but wants a change from their 121/2/53?

Edited by DK123GWR
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 21/07/2022 at 09:04, Hroth said:

Crumbs!!!

Its a fair whack for an undersized Triang-Hornby loco from the early 70s. The listing seems straightforward and the photos show all the (lack) of details.  They must have confused R876 with R3639.....

If the changable nameplates are the same as those on my Brit of the same era, then its no surprise that they had slid off to obscurity. Would you say that someone has varnished it, or was that the original finish?

The earlier versions were indeed in a high gloss finish. 🙂

🐉🙋🏼‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

11 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

10 hours ago, DK123GWR said:

A faster and more powerful alternative to a 153? Perhaps for stopping services on fast lines with some very lightly used stations, or where trains from a small branch line have to run some distance along a faster/busier mainline?

Or in model terms, for someone who only has space for single car units, but wants a change from their 121/2/53?

Well it obviously made an impression on someone it sold for over £44. I was pretty impressed by it. It would be interesting to know the back story behind how and why it came into existence.

Edited by PieGuyRob
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

Well it obviously made an impression on someone it sold for over £44. I was pretty impressed by it. It would be interesting to know the back story behind how and why it came into existence.

If a Class 121 is a 'Bubble Car', this one must be a 'Sheepborghini'?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403758522019?epid=19026842540&hash=item5e01e21ea3%3Ag%3ABvwAAOSwV39ZlIab&LH_BIN=1

Another overpriced horror from this well known (on these pages) seller.

Hornby R.2880 BR CLASS 9F 2-10-0 LOCO & TENDER. No 92221. DCC READY MIB

92221 is a loco that is reported with Mazac pest to the tender chassis

The clinders look to have come off an Evening Star the cab windows are unglazed and the pipework/handrails moulded and are painted white.  The cab number is 92166 and it looks to have the contact pin for a tender drive. Probably an earlier body / chassis.

Maybe £12.00 not £120

Chaz

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, CHAZ D said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403758522019?epid=19026842540&hash=item5e01e21ea3%3Ag%3ABvwAAOSwV39ZlIab&LH_BIN=1

Another overpriced horror from this well known (on these pages) seller.

Hornby R.2880 BR CLASS 9F 2-10-0 LOCO & TENDER. No 92221. DCC READY MIB

92221 is a loco that is reported with Mazac pest to the tender chassis

The clinders look to have come off an Evening Star the cab windows are unglazed and the pipework/handrails moulded and are painted white.  The cab number is 92166 and it looks to have the contact pin for a tender drive. Probably an earlier body / chassis.

Maybe £12.00 not £120

Chaz

Definitely looks like something from forty years ago. Flangeless centre drivers, bacon slicer leading truck wheels and a definite one piece moulding look to the body. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Definitely looks like something from forty years ago. Flangeless centre drivers, bacon slicer leading truck wheels and a definite one piece moulding look to the body. 

To be fair, the real 9Fs had flangeless centre drivers but you are right about the rest of it.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

That I didn't know, thanks for the info Darius. 

It just looks for all the world like the kind of 9F you could get when I was about 8. No way is it a 2004 Hornby product. 

The description should say "finished in several shades of matt black" to be accurate. I definitely smell a rat.

• Like 1

The description has almost nothing in common to the one photo supplied.

OK, it's a Hornby (Railways) black 9f.

So, it's either the wrong photo, or the wrong description.

Come on, even the running number quoted in the description is different from the photo! 🤷🏼‍♀️

The pictured loco does look like a "bitser".

Evening Star loco chassis. (Lined cylinders)

The loco body from one black loco, and the tender from another, different black loco.

No part of it was made in China though!

And no, not "loco drive".🤷🏼‍♀️

Hornby Railways R.550, 92166, from Hattons...

Screenshot_20220724-081056_Chrome.jpg.9a60c81131771d20eb3b2079a8975d97.jpg

https://www.hattons.co.uk/14840/hornby_r550_class_9f_2_10_0_92166_in_br_black_with_late_crest/stockdetail

The description is for this Railroad model...

Screenshot_20220724-081903_Chrome.jpg.71bf5b556cf91d7bd581ebad9b9c2086.jpg

https://www.hattons.co.uk/25863/hornby_r2880_class_9f_2_10_0_92221_in_br_black_with_late_crest/stockdetail

🐉🙋🏼‍♀️

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Additional
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

R2880 is loco drive and is known for the tender chassis to suffer from mazak-rot. The chassis is the shell of a tender drive motor, Hornby must have had a surplus of the things when they switched back to loco drive!

Apart from the mazak-rot jamming the tender wheels, R2880 has decent pulling power. Mine will take 20 or so wagons despite the brakes being on on the tender...

I really do need to sort it out!

Edited by Hroth
Rephrasing, etc...
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That I didn't know, thanks for the info Darius. 

It just looks for all the world like the kind of 9F you could get when I was about 8. No way is it a 2004 Hornby product. 

The description should say "finished in several shades of matt black" to be accurate. I definitely smell a rat.

Whatever the current Network Rail was called at the time banned flangeless wheels from the national network so sadly no 9F can be mainline registered now.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Whatever the current Network Rail was called at the time banned flangeless wheels from the national network so sadly no 9F can be mainline registered now.

A good thing that British railways are standard gauge. If we'd ended up with broad gauge, Pearson 4-2-4 well-tank locos would be banned, their huge single driver was flangeless too...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_and_Exeter_Railway_4-2-4T_locomotives

I understand that the ban is due to modern signalling systems and flange-counters miscounting. l may be wrong!

Edited by Hroth
A risible thort!
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I understand that the ban is due to modern signalling systems and flange-counters miscounting. l may be wrong!

So how does that work... Does the signaling path recognise the class of loco and it's wheel arrangement.. how come it gets screwed up 

If that's the case wouldn't it count a 9F as 2-4-0 / 0-4-0 with 0-6-0 tender?... And carriages as 0-4-0 / 0-4-0

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

A good thing that British railways are standard gauge. If we'd ended up with broad gauge, Pearson 4-2-4 well-tank locos would be banned, their huge single driver was flangeless too...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_and_Exeter_Railway_4-2-4T_locomotives

Not sure but a quick google suggests it is due to modern point work potentially getting damaged as the check rails are raised?

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Darius43 said:

To be fair, the real 9Fs had flangeless centre drivers but you are right about the rest of it.

Cheers

Darius

Which is why they are currently banned from main line running by NR.  The old Airfix plastic kit Evening Star had flangeless second, centre, and trailing drivers; no Gerald the Gorilla here!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've always fancied owning a good model of a 9F, they're an incredibly purposeful looking loco.

But then I would need to build a suitable (and very large) layout to run it on!

Same applies to American and German locos.... I really need to win the lottery!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2