EBay madness

Marcyg

14 hours ago, Hroth said:

R2880 is loco drive and is known for the tender chassis to suffer from mazak-rot. The chassis is the shell of a tender drive motor, Hornby must have had a surplus of the things when they switched back to loco drive!

Apart from the mazak-rot jamming the tender wheels, R2880 has decent pulling power. Mine will take 20 or so wagons despite the brakes being on on the tender...

I really do need to sort it out!

The cast tender motor casing can be replaced by the cast block from a three axle Diesel trailing bogie. (E.G. Class 47)

This is lower, a bit lighter, and allows for the coal space to be cut out and modelled if required.

Better weights can also be added if required...

The tender pick ups are screw fitted, and if suitable tapped holes are not present in your replacement, they can be added!

Or, a Margate motor can be stripped, and used...

The Margate castings are mostly free from impurities, so much more stable. 🙂

🐉🙋🏼‍♀️

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Weighty discussion added...
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I cannot help but be flabbergasted by what this infamous eBay seller asks for when selling items for repair etc 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363689399020?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=dUl0TI1oQ1m&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=e--l92_9TXi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Having said that, I think a couple of other sellers are after Go$turd’s rather dubious crown eg Rocket Railways!

Steve S

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 23/07/2022 at 21:44, CHAZ D said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403758522019?epid=19026842540&hash=item5e01e21ea3%3Ag%3ABvwAAOSwV39ZlIab&LH_BIN=1

Another overpriced horror from this well known (on these pages) seller.

Hornby R.2880 BR CLASS 9F 2-10-0 LOCO & TENDER. No 92221. DCC READY MIB

92221 is a loco that is reported with Mazac pest to the tender chassis

The clinders look to have come off an Evening Star the cab windows are unglazed and the pipework/handrails moulded and are painted white.  The cab number is 92166 and it looks to have the contact pin for a tender drive. Probably an earlier body / chassis.

Maybe £12.00 not £120

Chaz

I have just recieved an E-Mail offering this frankenstein model for £108. I don't think so!!

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

It tends to be some sort of eBay algorithm that sees when you view/watch an item, you can often get offered a discount on it as they think you are actually seriously interested in parting from your hard earned!

Mind you, it occasionally works, the Proto 2000 GP7 that was a demotored pile of bits yet described as a good runner which I highlighted here some pages back, came up with a tidy offer of twenty notes and I took it which for parts was actually worth it.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I cannot help but be flabbergasted by what this infamous eBay seller asks for when selling items for repair etc 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363689399020?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=dUl0TI1oQ1m&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=e--l92_9TXi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Having said that, I think a couple of other sellers are after Go$turd’s rather dubious crown eg Rocket Railways!

Steve S

Perhaps he’s using Hatton’s prices as a guide! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Yes, single piece perspex mouldings to represent flush glazing, very much of it's time.  I've replaced them with plain clear plastic on mine because I don't like the prism effect of such glazing, which IMO makes the windows look smaller; current production is much better.  It's the old Mainline tooling as can be seen from the couplers; I think it arrived at Bachmann via Dapol and Replica.

Mine was lined maroon, and has been repainted plain crimson, out of service until the arrival of my long delayed round tuit which will enable me to replace the buffers and renumber as a WR example.  There were a few of these at Tondu used as strengtheners, though possibly after my nominal period.  It's not a bad model, but my glazing of course shows up the thickness of the body sides, and a current tooling would have more discrete and less moulded parts, door handles and the like, as well as more underframe detail. 

A 2h one in this state needs to be at least under a tenner!

• Informative/Useful 2

I've just been been looking on eBay at Tri-ang clerestories, I've bought a couple of nice ones on there, but I find that if I want battered ones for experiment in Frankenstein's Joinery Shop, it's way better to buy from swapmeets and exhibitions.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Not much point in buying shorty clerestories on the Bay IMHO unless they're in perfect condition and the price is good, or you want them in one of the non-GW liveries (incidentally the Midland and NER versions have much more complex lining, the full GW lining was never attempted by Triang, TH, or Hornby until the short 4-wheelers came out in the 70s), because you might just as well buy new ones from Hornby's current production batch.  These are not much altered from the original 1961 tooling; they still have incorrect B1 bogies and a seperate piece for the underframe detail like the 9 inch mk1s of the period, and clip-on roofs which at least make access to the interior possible if you want to work them up.  The only difference AFAIAA is that the bogies were substituted for plug in types instead of rivetted some years ago.  I'd agree that the best source of them for mucking about with/cut'n'shuts is swapmeets and shows.

Unless you mean the gangwayed Dean clerestories, another 'near miss' because of the printed panelling.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Not much point in buying shorty clerestories on the Bay IMHO unless they're in perfect condition and the price is good, or you want them in one of the non-GW liveries (incidentally the Midland and NER versions have much more complex lining, the full GW lining was never attempted by Triang, TH, or Hornby until the short 4-wheelers came out in the 70s), because you might just as well buy new ones from Hornby's current production batch.  These are not much altered from the original 1961 tooling; they still have incorrect B1 bogies and a seperate piece for the underframe detail like the 9 inch mk1s of the period, and clip-on roofs which at least make access to the interior possible if you want to work them up.  The only difference AFAIAA is that the bogies were substituted for plug in types instead of rivetted some years ago.  I'd agree that the best source of them for mucking about with/cut'n'shuts is swapmeets and shows.

Unless you mean the gangwayed Dean clerestories, another 'near miss' because of the printed panelling.

Such a shame about the printed panelling.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Such a shame about the printed panelling.

These came out in 1982 which to my mind was a low-point for Hornby, having been overtaken on accuracy and detail by Mainline and Airfix. In that context, especially compared to the contemporary Collett and Stanier carriages, they were a minor miracle: pretty much the right shape and length, and not with B1 bogies!

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I remember the "new clerestories" coming out not long after I got my first train set (which consisted of the old Tri-ang Dean single and it's three clerestory coaches, by then twenty years old) and thinking how come they could put in the proper panelling back in the early sixties, but can't do it now? 

The model railway press had the same opinion as the eleven year old me.

As for the old Tri-ang clerestories and the Hornby successors, I salvage the roof and body, which has made passable representations of numerous prototypes, once cut, shut, combined with bits of others and the rooves suitably modified. 

Yes, I know there's etched kits etc out there, but the cost and an old hand injury (I was lucky not to lose that and a leg altogether) put me off, especially as I don't need that many.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I was disappointed with them then and little has occurred to change my opinion since; they were a near miss, which is in some ways more annoying than a complete miss.  Triang, who were the people who Hornby drew their dna from in 1982 and stil do now, had proved themselves capable of moulding panelling very successfully with the shorty clerestories 21 years earlier, and having gone to the trouble to get the scale right and provide passable (for those days) Dean 8'6" bogies when they were still putting B1s on Collett bowenders and Thompsons, it was all the more irritating to have to deal with the smooth sides.  A ship spoiled for a ha'porth of tar.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

The smooth sides is the very reason I have never bought a Hornby designed clerestory, I've used the bogies and even shortened them, but despite the fact that some were plated over latterly I've never found a use for them. 

Add to that the awful tender drives of the period (I really wanted the County 4-4-0 to be loco drive, Tri-ang managed it with the L1, so it must have been a cost issue) meant that I went to Airfix and Mainline (for all their faults) and later Bachmann for the majority of my locos thereafter. I still have a soft spot for the later Hornby 2721 pannier though, I've got at least five!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The staff train that has just arrived at Cwmdimbath, the first working of the day, is hauled by 2761, a Hornby half-cab pannier, warts and all.  Worked up a bit; Bachmann 57xx chassis, replacement chimney, dome, and safety valve bonnet, glazed spectacles,, real coal, and weather sheet in use. 

She’s a favourite, lots of character!  I’d replace her in a heartbeat if anyone came up with a tooling to current standards, but not without a pang of regret…

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 40152 said:

N gauge loco prices are going through the roof just now, but even so this is a bit cheeky:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304564617733?hash=item46e9774205:g:WPAAAOSwsAliWpWx

The thing about those GF 08 shunters is that they remind me of the old Triang TT and OO shunters that didn't have outside frames either!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Found this on a Buy it Now listing...

The option "Make Offer " is meant that you make a common-sense offer ABOVE the starting price, and not below.

??

And I've just won it for an offer less than BIN....

Result.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The thing about those GF 08 shunters is that they remind me of the old Triang TT and OO shunters that didn't have outside frames either!

Indeed. At least you get wasp stripes on the GFs, though.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, newbryford said:

And I've just won it for an offer less than BIN....

Result.

BIN where there is an opportunity to make an offer is always geared to an offer less than the asking price. 

I have bought a number of items from a dealer on eBay at less than the BIN price, other BIN items that I have put on watch meant that I received an offer almost immediately, and depending on the amount of discount, I take them up. Oddly enough the Triang clerestory I was talking about yesterday was offered to me with a 20% discount last night, I thought it would be rude not to accept!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

A short while ago I decided life wouldn't be complete without a couple of Triang clerestories.

I bought ones with other detritus attached, (track cleaning coach, "salmon" wagon) for far less than the going rate for coaches on their own.

Strange world!

Mike.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, newbryford said:

Found this on a Buy it Now listing...

The option "Make Offer " is meant that you make a common-sense offer ABOVE the starting price, and not below.

??

How about those jokers who state 'Make an offer' then clearly don't want anyone to actually make them an offer?

• Like 1
  • Agree 4