New OO gauge Class 73

Sorry I know this isn't relevant but what on earth is the building on the bridge? and is it being rebuilt? 

• RMweb Gold

That is Clapham Junction A Signalbox. Embarrassingly, in about 1965, the structure suddenly started falling down. As it controlled rather a lot of trains in and out of Waterloo, this was regarded as a pity. Much red-faced action by the civil engineers, who should have been doing their surveys a little better, resulted in this extra framework, which remained until it was abolished under the WARS resignalling scheme about 1989.

EDIT Here's a bit more about the failure of the structure. http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docsummary.php?docID=1085

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 4

That is Clapham Junction A Signalbox. Embarrassingly, in about 1965, the structure suddenly started falling down. As it controlled rather a lot of trains in and out of Waterloo, this was regarded as a pity. Much red-faced action by the civil engineers, who should have been doing their surveys a little better, resulted in this extra framework, which remained until it was abolished under the WARS resignalling scheme about 1989.

EDIT Here's a bit more about the failure of the structure. http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docsummary.php?docID=1085

Didn't it start to fall down in the middle of the morning peak? I remember it making the headlines of the national radio news.

• RMweb Gold

I thought that was the remains/frame of the wartime protective covering, which was too heavy for the supports, and was responsible for the collapse? I'd best check ...

Apparently you are quite right - I'd never heard that bit. http://www.semgonline.com/location/signalboxes/sbclaphamjcn.html gives some details.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Goodness! In the Clapham B link update are a couple of names I knew eons ago. Bryan Hymas was TO at London Bridge when it opened in '76, and I think Cyril Barnes might have been S&T New Works Manager. Great to find they are still punching!

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Olddudders, that would make a very interesting model.

Matt

Not half as interesting as the track work, infrastructure, stock etc that would travail beneath it... late 80's just before closure would be a nice period to model it :yes:

(oh alright then early to mid 60's might be better :acute: )

• RMweb Gold

Will Dapol be producing both versions of the class 73; i.e. the JA and JB?

Cheers

Simon

This has certainly been mentioned earlier in this thread. Have just been looking at the Dapol catalogue and on page 59 it states:

"Dapol will model both JA and later type JB Class 73's from laser scans of actual locomotives"

Keith

Guest oldlugger

I wonder how Dapol will reproduce the complex cable runs on the bogies of the JA? There are loads of them with very complex shapes and they need to be very fine indeed to fit them all in prototypically (speaking from experience building my own in P4).

Edited by oldlugger

• RMweb Premium

The Question is, will the do they 'New' JC [ GBRf's 73/9 mkII's ] & JD's [ NR 73/x's ] as well? ( My letter classes btw !! )  :)

Mike

And if they don't, I'm sure someone will............................... :butcher:

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

My understanding is that it's still at the CAD stage at the moment.  The latest ones were posted in entry #67 and DapolDave will no doubt be along with some revised ones at some point for further RMweb input.  Definitely a while until one turns up at Bromley North! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any progress report yet Dave? I fancy a couple in 1970's condition.

One question though, and I suspect that has not been on your remit, how easy will it be for conversion to EM or P4? (how about an EM/P4 conversion pack as an after market option? perhaps through the two societies)

Also for those of us who don't want a hook and bar coupling or an empty NEM Pocket is there going to be provision for a blanking plate?