New OO gauge Class 73

Dapol's website now says "The first shots of our JA 73/0 Class 73 are now in. Contrary to what BRM have published  shots of the JB 73/1 variants are not too far behind"

So what are they actually trying to say - BRM got it wrong?  BRM were told the wrong thing by them? 

Looking at the actual samples they appear to have more than one version of the JA (with and without headlight at least) and yet only have one JA listed - 4D-006-004 E6003 BR Green.  I hope that does not turn up with a headlight!

The Network Rail Class 73 was to be a Model Rail limited edition (not Kernow MRC, although Kernow handles the Model Rail fulfilment). It was not properly logged at Dapol as being a limited edition for us and, as a result, was included in their revised standard range. Model Rail dropped out at that point.

CHRIS LEIGH

WOW! Was this to be 73138 in NR livery? I know Kernow has 73212 in NR livery cancelled, but I really wanted 73138 in truth. But I cannot see 73138 being announced by Dapol in this years catalogue? :S

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Certainly getting there Dapol.

A few little tweaks (buffer shanks need the plug that's used for retracting them, body lifting lugs extend further down and have a curved base, some screw representation across the buffering plate, tweak the shape of sand boxes, and remove the cab/body joint seam) and it'd be stunning. But it's certainly good in its current form.

Cheers

Tom

Edited by tomstaf

Looking good :) It also appears that Dapol will end up with some MK6 bogie frames that could be used for other projects in the future if they so desire as the fiddly bits seem to be separately fitted. Is it too early to call 4REP or late 4CIG..?

• RMweb Gold

Hi. I've always had a liking for the 73's, and based on these stunning photo's, I will be putting in a pre-order for one of them. For me that Rule One will be in operation.

All the best,

Market65.

Edited by Market65

The cab roof looks a bit funny to me, like it's got a thumbprint in the corners.

My thoughts too - I thought it was my eyes but then read your comment. 

Hard to tell if it is an unwanted indentation, or maybe the roof is heaped slightly too much on top?  Or maybe it's prototypical...?

Otherwise this looks like a superb model!

Edited by darkjunglemung

• RMweb Premium

My thoughts too - I thought it was my eyes but then read your comment.

Hard to tell if it is an unwanted indentation, or maybe the roof is heaped slightly too much on top? Or maybe it's prototypical...?

Otherwise this looks like a superb model!

This has really got me intrigued - as you say, at first glance, it looks odd. I've just had a look at a few prototype photos and the 'thumbprint' is difficult to distinguish. However, this photo shows to me that it's about spot on. I'd be really interested in others' views.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_03_2012/post-8064-0-56319800-1332879791_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

There does appear to be a slight 'peak' in each of the cab roofs, with a little flattening on either side. If that is the case, I hope they fix it for the production models.

I do like the detail on the underframes and bogies, though, It makes the Lima/Hornby offering look quite primitive.

This has really got me intrigued - as you say, at first glance, it looks odd. I've just had a look at a few prototype photos and the 'thumbprint' is difficult to distinguish. However, this photo shows to me that it's about spot on. I'd be really interested in others' views. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_03_2012/post-8064-0-56319800-1332879791_thumb.jpg

Exactly my thoughts. .. I thought they'd messed up the roof profile but there are prototype photos that appear to have this indentation. It's strange though as on some it looks less noticeable. Overalll looks a great model

• RMweb Gold

It is quite subtle but it is certainly there on the photo I took of 73201 this week. I suspect it depends upon the particular viewing angle. They will have to take care to get the curve on the roof etching fixed correctly on the body.post-138-0-12518600-1405590651_thumb.jpg.

Godfrey

Edited by Godfrey Glyn
  • Like 1

Exactly my thoughts. .. I thought they'd messed up the roof profile but there are prototype photos that appear to have this indentation. It's strange though as on some it looks less noticeable. Overalll looks a great model

Assuming it's fibreglass I should think after decades of exposure to the heat and elements its shape will alter slightly.

Cheers

Tom

I was waiting to see if there would be sufficient improvement to make it worthwhile to replace my extensive fleet of Lima/Hornby 73's. I am afraid to say, there is. Buxxer! There goes the bank balance again.... I suppose these will all come out at once along with the improved Hornby VEP (well, I still live in hope), a better 33 (what happened to that?) and the FTG SPA's (definitely not far off). Just needs a refurbished Jaffa Cake 4CEP to appear and I will be down the food bank.....

• RMweb Premium

Excuse the silly question, but I've been utterly confused as to what liveries they are being released in. Does anyone know what liveries exactly are going to be produced?

This should link to the list of releases from Hattons website.

Cheers,

Mick

It is quite subtle but it is certainly there on the photo I took of 73201 this week. I suspect it depends upon the particular viewing angle. They will have to take care to get the curve on the roof etching fixed correctly on the body.attachicon.gif_MG_0378.jpg.

Godfrey

Hmmm... judging from your photo the incline looks pretty straight - not much, if any evidence of the "thumbprint", at least to my eye anyhow.  It's definitely there on the model though.