New OO gauge Class 73

I wonder how long it will be before Dapol turn round and say the exclusives for olivias trains (gatwick express first gbrf and gbrf)will be cancelled as they are rolled out as part of their main range?

I too agree- Dapol are coming across as a rather stroppy teenager right now......i dont think we will see the 73 until mid 2015.

Does anyone has a definative list of all limited edition 73s announced? I have asked Dapol via email several times without a reply. I want to make sure I have not missed one, especially as the Kernow Network Rail one was cancelled?

I wonder how long it will be before Dapol turn round and say the exclusives for olivias trains (gatwick express first gbrf and gbrf)will be cancelled as they are rolled out as part of their main range?

I too agree- Dapol are coming across as a rather stroppy teenager right now......i dont think we will see the 73 until mid 2015.

If Dapol don't get their finger out, I can foresee Heljan beating them to it, to compliment their brace of 33s.

Just a thought.

Had a chat with a very pleasant chap at the Dapol stand today. I was disappointed to see that 73205 "Jeanette" in GBRf livery is now in the main catalogue!

73205 is a limited edition with Olivia Trains in Sheffield. The friendly unnamed Dapol employee was not aware of this limited edition - Slightly alarming! Yet I have been assured that they shall contact Olivia Trains on Monday to rectify. If honest, I rather have 73205 from the main product line as it shall be on par with other 73s to pre-order at around 20% off rrp. 

I got the impression why they didn't answer earlier emails about liveries, is because they didn't know. Luckily they do now and I shall follow up with an email. I was impressed they were friendly as a positive. 

• Like 1

Spoke to Dapol reps at Alexandra Palace today and I was told to expect to see the OO Class 73 in July 2014...

"Olivia Trains Class 73's

Due to the poor logging of Special Commission Class 73 at Dapol it has come to our attention that we have included a model in the 2014/15 brochure that had been allocated to Olivia Trains.

4D-006-007 will not now be produced for general release but has will be manufactured exclusively for Olivia Trains along with 73207  Gatwick Express ( County of East Sussex) and  73141 Charlotte  inFirst Group GBRf  Livery

see here for details www.oliviastrains.com/new-additions

Our apologies for this error and many thanks to Neil at Olivia Trains for his understanding

Dapol will be replace this model and will amend price lists appropriately. "

http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=information%2Fnews&news_id=77#.UzL9IaiSzSh

Edited by Jeffery B

"Olivia Trains Class 73's

Due to the poor logging of Special Commission Class 73 at Dapol it has come to our attention that we have included a model in the 2014/15 brochure that had been allocated to Olivia Trains.

4D-006-007 will not now be produced for general release but has will be manufactured exclusively for Olivia Trains along with 73207  Gatwick Express ( County of East Sussex) and  73141 Charlotte  inFirst Group GBRf  Livery

see here for details www.oliviastrains.com/new-additions

Our apologies for this error and many thanks to Neil at Olivia Trains for his understanding

Dapol will be replace this model and will amend price lists appropriately. "

http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=information%2Fnews&news_id=77#.UzL9IaiSzSh

Sloppy writing for a supposedly professional company!

What happened to the Network Rail liveried 73? 

Good point, wasn't that originally due to be one of Kernow's limited ed models before Dapol withdrew it and said it would become part of the main range?

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just had an email from a well known box purveyor, that at least two (plain blue and large logo) of the Dapol 73's are due in stock between September/October 2014.

Cheers,

Mick

Just had an email from a well known box purveyor, that at least two (plain blue and large logo) of the Dapol 73's are due in stock between September/October 2014.

Me to

Dapol 4D-006-000 Class 73 electro-diesel 73102 "Airtour Suisse" in Intercity livery

September/October 2014.

Fingers crossed

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The sloppy writing is bad however I am in no position to go to town on that given my own writing skills, what I find astonishing is the admission that they didn't properly log what was a main range model and what was an exclusive release! We're not talking about a product range measured in millions here but a small number of models. Presumably those with exclusive releases will have signed contracts and made some financial payment already, it is really rather dreadful if Dapol couldn't even be bothered to ensure that these were clearly identified in their system. I'm not anti-Dapol and think they've produced some outstanding models. I also think their reputation for poor communication in recent times is at least partly because their communications were market leading when Dapol Dave was there so I'm not really that bothered on that score. This however I do find a bit worrying in what it reveals about how their business appears to be managed.

Have just seen an article in July BRM regarding an update on Dapols proposed models R&D progress. For the 73 there is a photo of 3 bodies from the first test shots, although it is quite small. The narrative described that the tests shots are from the 73/0 type and that the 73/1 R&D has been 'restarted from scratch'.

• RMweb Premium

The re-engineered RVEL 73 has just broken cover, and the Brush version cannot be far behind.

I wonder if Dapol have any provisional plans for these, as they do/will look rather different from the original locos.

I think the RVEL 73 (and I think the Brush 73) have too many body modifications for Dapol to consider them at this stage. However, that probably wouldn't stop some enterprising e-bayer painting it yellow and putting Network Rail stickers on the side (Oh - actually you can paint a 73 yellow, as long as it's 73138.......)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Class 73 Test shoots now on Dapol's website, unfortunately the image is a tad small, but the one on facebook may be bigger.

www.Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=information%2Fnews&news_id=82#.U6Ag8fldUXt

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Larger Facebook picture if you click on the one on the home page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dapol-Ltd/214563285228094?fref=photo

Edited by BR(S)

Good point, wasn't that originally due to be one of Kernow's limited ed models before Dapol withdrew it and said it would become part of the main range?

The Network Rail Class 73 was to be a Model Rail limited edition (not Kernow MRC, although Kernow handles the Model Rail fulfilment). It was not properly logged at Dapol as being a limited edition for us and, as a result, was included in their revised standard range. Model Rail dropped out at that point.

CHRIS LEIGH

Dapol are coming across as a rather stroppy teenager right now

I thought that when trying to get them to sort out some of those Staneir Coaches which were far from perfect but were sold as perfect at Warley last year, had they been indicated that they were NQP and priced accordingly, I would have checked them before buying them. Rude and unhelpful, Dapol only answer what they want to answer and ignore what they don't like. So won't buy them anymore, will pick up old Airfix and Mainline second hand ones. Bachmann's wagons are excellent and Hornby's using identical moulds are superior so as far as I am concerned, Dapol are of no use whatsoever.

As for their 73s, I'd given up on them. Although only Railroad quality, I did pick up the Hornby Pullman one for less than half price of Dapol's and can easily put some lights and stuff in it and just bought a Lima repaint which was done very well indeed from a toy fair recently and was cheap, it works and looks the part and was a sixth of the price.