New OO gauge Class 73

is that the same for the Gaugemaster and Olivias Trains versions?

Only the Kernow specials have been cancelled as far as I know due to a [chooses words carefully] change of contract between themselves and Dapol, but Kernow continue to sell the standard Dapol range. 

There have been no announcements about changes to other specially commissioned 73s or Dapol's standard releases, although, as Graham says above, Dapol did state that the Kernow specials are likely to become a part of the standard release range, including keeping the weathering.  I will be pleased if this is the case as I was after a weathered large logo blue version.

http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=information/news&news_id=62#.UuZLzjZFCUk

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

From another forum (partial quote from a Dapol press release)

The class 73 will be the third new locomotive in ‘00’ for Dapol.
The Dean Forrest Diesel Association made a modification to 73001 by sheeting over some roof grills and this feature was on the original scanning and subsequently copied to the CAD’s. The drawings have now been corrected to show the wire mesh. Also the sealed beam headlight was a later addition during the 1990’s so this will now be included on a separate slide in order for us to make all period locomotives. The 73/0 CAD’s are now approved. The 73/1 body is also approved, however it uses the Mk. 6 bogie so new drawings are being prepared together with some underframe details. Tooling is planned to start next month, with first shots by early May.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Mick for the update, at last it sounds like things are finally starting to progress with this project then. Do you have the link to the forum for the press release? As usual it's not yet on Dapols website.

It's on the DEMU forum, which you have to be a member to access. I presume Andy Y or someone else will quote the full script soon.

Cheers,

Mick

Hopefully the tooling shall allow the 73/9s too. Looking at the new Rail and Railways Illustrated the GBRf 73/9s now have high density headlights on the front and modified pipes.

Along with new roof and new sides to allow for the New bodyside grilles, Radiators,  Repositioned roof fans, Cab roof dome marker light etc ...

So actually two differing NEW Body models required for the RVEL pair and the GBRf 12 to become model reality ....

Never say Never, but probably a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way off.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Indeed, it'd be pretty handy if we could get even the faintest whisper from Dapol Towers... But alas no.

As for the 73/9 I doubt the initial model will be made to allow them to be produced... The RVEL pair might not make it out of the factory according to some sources and the Brush/GBRF ones will probably need time to prove themselves first!

Edited by m0rris

• RMweb Gold

Page 11 - April 2014 of Model Rail - received this morning - has the following info.

'OO' Gauge

Class 73 Bo Bo

"The CAD drawings have been corrected to show the wire mesh roof grilles.

A sealed beam headlight will be included on a separate slide in order to make all period locomotives.

The '73/0' CADs are now approved; the '73/1' body is also approved but drawings are being prepared for the Mk. 6 bogies.

Tooling is planned to start next month [March]."

Dye

Tooling is planned to start next month [March]."

Thanks for that, so anyone know how long from tooling until it hits the shelves, I guess there are alot of stages with production slots, artwork to be approved etc.. but is it likely to appear on the Model of the Year voting for 2014 or is it more like 2015? :whistle:

Cheers

From Model Rail this evening.

We regret that, owing to circumstances beyond our control, it has been necessary to cancel the limited edition Dapol Class 73 in 'Dutch' livery. We apologise to customers for the disappointment this will cause.

Whilst a 'Dutch' 73 will still however be produced in the main range, I am starting to find Dapol's new business methods rather odd.

From Model Rail this evening.

Whilst a 'Dutch' 73 will still however be produced in the main range, I am starting to find Dapol's new business methods rather odd.

Will this mean the special editions announced for other stores also be cancelled?

• RMweb Gold

Well in this case the cancellation was down to MR. The 'Dutch' livery is now part of the same range but cheaper so it didn't make sense to continue with it.  I suggest the future of other limited editions will be down to the outlets concerned.

Well in this case the cancellation was down to MR. The 'Dutch' livery is now part of the same range but cheaper so it didn't make sense to continue with it.  I suggest the future of other limited editions will be down to the outlets concerned.

I havent seen a Dapol Dutch 73 listed? Can you point me on the right direction please. If it's not 73128, then I still dont follow, as the point of this limited edition was surley the unique nameplates?

Edited by miles73128

• RMweb Gold

TBH I don't know but I read this earlier in the limited edition thread in the MR section.

..."The limited edition 'Dutch livery' class 73 has been cancelled because Dapol has decided to do this livery in its standard range. We faced this same issue with the Vitrains Class 47 that we did as a limited edition in DRS livery, only to find that we were competing with a near-identical model in the standard range at a lower price. We are not willing to do so again. I apologise for any inconvenience caused to those who had placed pre-orders but the problem is outside our control"

CHRIS LEIGH

Note

Non relevant portion removed for clarity.

Griff

Adding to post 165, does anyone have any idea when Dapol intend the standard range to hit the shelves? I see nothing on their website.

I really thought it would hit the shelves soon, judging by updates earlier... it's as if time is stuck now :(

Does anyone know if the manufacturing issues in China also affect the product during it's design stage? All along I've only heard of supply issues but not sure if it's more than that

With current rate of progress I'd guess at Q1/Q2 2015. A bit later than end of 2012 Dapol told me when they launched!

In some ways its a good thing its taking time, you only have to look at the poorly proportioned, poorly decorated and mechanically inept N gauge stuff they rushed to the market in order to meet a stated date.