Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is indeed a fantastic selection of photo’s. All are excellent, and the first one, at Bedside, on the Blyth and Tyne with a HST on an up diverted express train in April, 1981, is one of those classic shots of that iconic train, especially since it was taken from so low down adding to the power of the HST. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a delightful set of photo’s of railways in Yorkshire. In Scan-131117-0087, at Ulleskelf, with a class 37, on a passenger train from Manchester Victoria to York, and a class 101 on a Leeds City to York service, in August, 1967, it can be seen that the first three carriages that the 37 is hauling are Stanier corridors, the next is a BR Mkl, and the fifth carriage is another Stanier. The rest are not identifiable. And what an excellent photo’ of one of the oil lamps on the platform at Ulleskelf in the last photo’, which  will be of help with modelling. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. What truly superb photo’s of the Midland lines around Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and Leicestershire from the late 1940’s and the early 1950’s. The first photo’ at Basford Sidings, with 3F, 43192, light engine, with the guard, driver Mr Mee, fireman and yard forman, all stood on the footplate from February, 1951, is delightful and good to see the footplate crew amongst others in the photo’. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, DaveF said:

1380452206_DerbySouthJunctioncompoundpassBirminghamtoNottinghamc19502ndimageJVol6065.jpg.85422edbb6e0dac201c86f42cbc5c031.jpg

Derby South Junction compound pass Birmingham to Nottingham c1950   JVol6065

Some interesting stock there - the first carriage seems to be an ex-LMS P1 vestibule third - seven bays with the characterstic Midland-style two windows per bay. The second carriage also has an LMS-style angle-truss underframe but as a brake with only three compartments, I'm struggling to pin it down. I'm wondering if it is actually a Midland vehicle - I'm away from home so Lacy & Dow is out of reach! The third is ex-L&Y.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is truly superb set of photo’s of the NRM in York. A superb museum which is so well captured by your lovely photo’s. In C4401, of the APT-E, on Saturday, 7th April, 1979, you can see that the unique train was quietly getting a bit worse for wear, I won’t be doing that with the excellent Rapido model. ;)

The photo’s of York station from the late 1940’s and early 1950’s are gems. It’s hard to say which is the best, but as stated by cornliuslundie, JVol2074, is a true evocation of the station with the steam and smoke from the J27 giving the station a real atmospheric appearance which will never be achieved again by a regular service steam hauled train. Now, the last photo’ of K3, 61982, on an up goods train in c1953, shows what I think is a footstep, under the cab, which appears to be bent outwards. If it is, then you’d never get away with that step on a model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a superb set of photo’s of the Tyne and Wear Metro, from between Whitley Bay and Percy Main. In J14611, at Whitley Bay, with Metro 4072, on a St. James to Pelaw service in March, 1994, you can see how the footbridge looks out of place compared to the rest of the station. So unlike the footbridge at Tynemouth in the next photo’, J7563, from August, 1981, with Metro 4080, on a Tynemouth to Haymarket service. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. That is a remarkable selection of photo’s of Switzerland, covering the metre gauge Appenzeller Bahnen in the north east, and then the metre gauge Rhatische Bahn, and the SBB Gotthard line. The first photo’ at Appenzell, north of the Sitter bridge, with BDeh4/4, on a St. Gallen to Appenzell service, on the line from Gais to Appenzell, on the 31st July, 1992, is a excellent composition with the train, some uninterested cows, in typical Switzerland scenery. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is an excellent set of photo’s of Newcastle Central station and some of the famous bridges. The last one of the QE2 bridge, with a Metro crossing it, on the 2nd November, 1991, is full of atmosphere, and it’s great to see your Mum in it too. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, DaveF said:

I remember the day as both Dad and I brought some nice prints of pencil drawings of pre grouping railway scenes done by John S Gibb who is an artist based I think in Cumbria.

I have a couple of his rather nice prints too, Haverthwaite and Cart Lane Crossing, hung in the study behind me. Probably aquired in 1990, but no idea now where I bought them from though...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Davexoc said:

I have a couple of his rather nice prints too, Haverthwaite and Cart Lane Crossing, hung in the study behind me. Probably aquired in 1990, but no idea now where I bought them from though...

John Gibb used to attend model railway shows as a trader. He portrayed railway and non-railway subjects, we have one of each, often with a Cumbrian/North Lancashire connection, where as you wrote, he lived at the time. However, his pre-grouping depiction of Manchester Victoria has to be seen to be believed.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I was just about to [ost today's photos at around 3.30 p.m. when I had an email from the estate agents asking me to proof read the brochure for the sale of Mum's flat. Once I'd done that otheer things got in the way, but here at last are the photos.

Something different today, just for a change.

I don't think we've had any photos from Killhope lead mining museum.  It is in a very remote area of County Durham at the side of the road from Stanhope, past Eastgate and Westgate and on to Alston.  It is simply the btrackwork at the lead mines, there was no narrow gauge line to anywhere else.

By the way, I find it hard to believe that I took these photos some 32 years ago.

1558640462_Killhopeleadminingmuseum14thApril90C14324.jpg.0dd98c51cb88092e8199050201a92c6a.jpg

Killhope lead mining museum 14th April 90 C14324

925907074_Killhopeleadminingmuseum14thApril90C14325.jpg.c9b1d3e70b4495f359b917418f497cb8.jpg

Killhope lead mining museum 14th April 90 C14325

726278783_Killhopeleadminingmuseum14thApril90C14326.jpg.3b3a15e30c1ac1619880e7f5862b44de.jpg

Killhope lead mining museum 14th April 90 C14326

169470465_Killhopeleadminingmuseum14thApril90C14327.jpg.308183e8869cf70677c1769148214856.jpg

Killhope lead mining museum 14th April 90 C14327

1761979411_Killhopeleadminingmuseum14thApril90C14328.jpg.7bef6a12c4e8ef0550794ba9d620f211.jpg

Killhope lead mining museum 14th April 90 C14328

David

Fascinating selection, that trackwork in C14327 is something else!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I hope all will go smoothly with the sale of your Mum’s flat. Now this evening’s photo’s of the Killhope lead mining museum as on the 14th April, 1990, are fascinating. I have never been to it before, so your photo’s are quite an eye opener. In C14327, the extremely sharp curves and the remarkable looking incline are something which I am sure you would not get away with on a model railway. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To insert a space.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1