I was going to say between Cardiff and Barry. 

IIRC they've built on what was Woodhams yard.

Slightly OT, but does anyone know what happened to the four locos out of Barry that the council claimed?

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

Whilst setting about one's breakfast in the dining room at Chateau Sheep this morning, I came across this little gem........

https://wcprgroup.org.uk/exhibitors2022.html

Some top layouts there including Ullypug's WC&PR layout. 

Added to sheep calender as a must attend. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I was going to say between Cardiff and Barry. 

IIRC they've built on what was Woodhams yard.

Slightly OT, but does anyone know what happened to the four locos out of Barry that the council claimed?

Morning Rob. 

There has been a tump of new build in that area of  Barry in recent years. Not 100% but I think you're right regarding Woodhams. 

One of the last things I worked on in my previous employ was the redevelopement of one of the goods sheds in Barry which is now transformed into a hospitality area with a number of venues. It uses both the old goods shed itself and the immediate area and features a number of places to eat and drink including a couple in converted Mk 3 coaches adjacent to the goods shed itself  if memory serves me right. 

I was able to wander about the place at various stages of the build. Nice to see the old building going from a derelict shell to a vibrant meeting place. 

Regarding the locos, no clue. 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Really enjoyed your weathering coaches tutorial in this month's BRM @NHY 581😎

Morning Rob, 

Thanks, I've not seen a copy yet. It was a bit of fun. 

Rob. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all, 

Whilst setting about one's breakfast in the dining room at Chateau Sheep this morning, I came across this little gem........

https://wcprgroup.org.uk/exhibitors2022.html

Some top layouts there including Ullypug's WC&PR layout. 

Added to sheep calender as a must attend. 

Rob. 

Damn - I'm away at Fareham - sounds like a great show...

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Whilst work continues on readying Sheep Dip and Bleat Wharf for their respective exhibitions ( as well as playing with Ewe) , perhaps bizarrely, thoughts have turned to what comes next.

I have long been an admirer of Leysdown, the terminus of The Sheppey Light Railway as modelled in P4, and originally built by Uckfield MRC.

I have also hankered after a pre-grouping layout for a very long time. 

Now, I'm not about to set about building a P4 layout. No. I'll stick to S.S.O.P (Standard Sheep Operating Procedure) and use mostly  readily available rtr stock whilst all buildings will be rtp to hopefully put together something which produces the same basic, open light railway feel.

I'm not going to rush this. The simplicity of it all almost suggests a slow time approach. So I'll be taking my time with this. 

First steps have already been taken, of which more later on.

However, for now suffice to say it's SE&CR with a basic timeframe of 1919-1923.

Rob.

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Damn - I'm away at Fareham - sounds like a great show...

Chris

Morning Chris. 

It does and I may well have something there, subject to confirmation. Ewe could be making it's debut in front of the paying public if they can fit it in........

I should know in a couple of weeks. If not, I'll still be going as a paying customer. 

Rob. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Chris. 

It does and I may well have something there, subject to confirmation. Ewe could be making it's debut in front of the paying public if they can fit it in........

I should know in a couple of weeks. If not, I'll still be going as a paying customer. 

Rob. 

I hope someone produces a bit of Youtube coverage - those layouts are right up my siding street....

C

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I hope someone produces a bit of Youtube coverage - those layouts are right up my siding street....

C

Indeed. A nice show to be part of. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Whilst work continues on readying Sheep Dip and Bleat Wharf for their respective exhibitions ( as well as playing with Ewe) , perhaps bizarrely, thoughts have turned to what comes next.

I have long been an admirer of Leysdown, the terminus of The Sheppey Light Railway as modelled in P4, and originally built by Uckfield MRC.

I have also hankered after a pre-grouping layout for a very long time. 

Now, I'm not about to set about building a P4 layout. No. I'll stick to S.S.O.P (Standard Sheep Operating Procedure) and use mostly  readily available rtr stock whilst all buildings will be rtp to hopefully put together something which produces the same basic, open light railway feel.

I'm not going to rush this. The simplicity of it all almost suggests a slow time approach. So I'll be taking my time with this. 

First steps have already been taken, of which more later on.

However, for now suffice to say it's SE&CR with a basic timeframe of 1919-1923.

Rob.

There’s a lot of very nice SE&CR rtr available. Are you going to do something that involves [shudder] ….passengers?

Jay

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, JustinDean said:

There’s a lot of very nice SE&CR rtr available. Are you going to do something that involves [shudder] ….passengers?

Jay

Morning Jay. 

Ahem. 

I can confirm that there will be a passenger service. It will probably use six wheeled carriages......

No bogie stock was harmed in the making of this announcement. 

I thank you. 

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I can confirm that there will be a passenger service. It will probably use six wheeled carriages......

No bogie stock was harmed in the making of this announcement. 

I thank you. 

are you making stuff up again....? No worries the S&D didn't use 6 wheel coaches in BR days....or did it?

Chris

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

are you making stuff up again....? No worries the S&D didn't use 6 wheel coaches in BR days....or did it?

Chris

Nope.

The S&D didn't................Except in a breakdown role...maybe

But the SE&CR did in 1920............

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Nope.

The S&D didn't................Except in a breakdown role...maybe

But the SE&CR did in 1920............

I think you may find one or too on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway I may have a photo probably missing from my existing attachments and may be on the old computer as I am in the process of moving stuff across.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Donw said:

I think you may find one or too on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway I may have a photo probably missing from my existing attachments and may be on the old computer as I am in the process of moving stuff across.

Don

All noted Don but I'm simply saying that's what I'm going to do. The real Leysdown branch used six wheelers in the time period I'll be modelling. The line switched to using bogie stock ( actually, articulated stock ) converted by the Southern Railway from redundant SE&CR railmotors in the 1920s. 

I'm not looking for examples on other railways elsewhere to justify the use of six wheel stock. No need. The precedent is set. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

What's this about a Precedent? 

Did we just go down the rabbit hole from SE&CR to L&NWR? 😜

😬

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Cranbrook would make a nice basis of a model but probably a bit too large for you. Any prototype locations you’ve been looking at Rob?

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/cranbrook/

Jay

Hi Jay, 

Yep, prototype is all sorted. Cranbrook is nice and I have some great photos of it in various books. 

But.............I've wanted to do something based on Leysdown for years...

20220608_183008-01.thumb.jpeg.f716e39d1bd82d0408c2818726853d1f.jpeg

20220608_183039-04.thumb.jpeg.bc33906bff5e3d5ff4455944aadd9991.jpeg

20220608_150237-01.thumb.jpeg.ab885d0ef82e951f3f3de0285c6e43ae.jpeg

Rob. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Jay, 

Yep, prototype is all sorted. Cranbrook is nice and I have some great photos of it in various books. 

But.............I've wanted to do something based on Leysdown for years...

20220608_183008-01.thumb.jpeg.f716e39d1bd82d0408c2818726853d1f.jpeg

20220608_183039-04.thumb.jpeg.bc33906bff5e3d5ff4455944aadd9991.jpeg

20220608_150237-01.thumb.jpeg.ab885d0ef82e951f3f3de0285c6e43ae.jpeg

Rob. 

Nice! I’m unfamiliar with this place but I can see from the photos it will suit your style of modelling a treat!

Jay

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Nice! I’m unfamiliar with this place but I can see from the photos it will suit your style of modelling a treat!

Jay

Two buildings, short concrete platform, a wind pump, loading dock/cattle dock, an open ground frame and a water crane along with two sets of buffers..........

Five points and a lot of grass, even in 1920. 

Job done. 

Rob. 

• Like 11

53 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Two buildings, short concrete platform, a wind pump, loading dock/cattle dock, an open ground frame and a water crane along with two sets of buffers..........

Five points and a lot of grass, even in 1920. 

Job done. 

Rob. 

What more could you need? It's all sounding rather good!

Tin station building perhaps?

510_500333.jpg.2b880d6bb14bf987e85399b9439f4ce1.jpg

• Like 4