Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Alistair Rolfe

• RMweb Gold

It is with sadness that I pass on this news

Alistair Rolfe - no nonsense kits - passed away on Sunday after a long battle with cancer.

Alistair was a very pleasant guy, a real gentlemen, my condolences to his family and friends.

R.I.P Alistair.

This has come as an absolute shock. He used to rib me something rotten on the phone because I occasionally got his name mixed up and used Rolfe as his christian name, so he'd ring up asking for 'Goddard'! I will miss his cheery calls. My sincere condolences to his family.

Larry G.

• RMweb Gold

Very sad news indeed. As said previously, he was an absolute gentleman. Always a delight to deal with. He was responsible for designing, for himself and others, and producing some excellent kits. He took on the 'eccentric' MTK range and improved and released some of them.

I learned of his illness a year ago and he courageously carried on with his business for sometime thereafter.

My condolences to Alastair's family.

You'll be missed Alastair.

John

Last time I spoke to Alistair at Wells in 2009 he seemed on the mend, so this came as a bit of a shock as he was a really a nice chap to talk to, he only passed his driving test a few years, and before he passed he took his trade stand by train and tended to walk from the station to the venue that could be quite a few miles. He did mention that he had or was selling NNK's to another party so am not too sure if this ever happened.

One of the hobbies genuine nice guys he will be missed

David

I am absolutely stunned by this. I was only talking to him at a show a few months ago and he seemed his useful friendly self. He was always a very nice guy and would always chat to me about Southern units and humour me when I asked if he would do a DD.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

He took on the 'eccentric' MTK range and improved and released some of them.

I didnt know Alistair other than by sight, but anybody who could do that has to be someone specialwink.gif A great shame, condolences to those more closely affected.

This has come as a bit of a shock.

I have known Alistair for a good number of years.

I know Alistair was hoping to make RailWells this year his last show.

I have been trying to get in touch since then.

His cheerfulness, enthusiasm and knowledge will be sadly missed.

Does any one know any details of his funeral?

Gordon A

Bristol

Sad, sad, sad!.

I knew Alistair well having first known him through his business. I was proud to help such a nice guy with details of EMUs so he could progess his kits. I well remember the time he told me about his cancer and the fact that he wouldn't be with us much longer. We had talked at length about the coming days. However, with a change of diet and medical help he seemed to be getting somewhat better and I am completely taken aback to hear this news.

Others are absolutely right when they say the model railway world has lost a good man.

The last time I saw him he had told me that he had sold his business and was looking forward to a period of rest. I recognised the new owner's name but cannot now remember it.

My condolences to his family.

Dave Smith

• RMweb Premium

What terrible news, particularly after the cautious optimism presented by the earlier signs of his apparent recovery.

Alistair, you will be missed.

That is sad news. Although, over the years, I did more talking to him than buying from him, his genial presence at shows was always a delight and his undoubted skill and attention to detail in his own products and in his modelling should serve as something to aspire to. A sad loss indeed.

Adam

I did more talking to him than buying from him,

He made that quite easy! I had a long and informative chat with him a few months ago even though he hadn't got exactly what I wanted. A shame to hear such news, my sympathies to his friends and family.

I only had the chance to meet Alistair once, at the Expo-EM, at Portsmouth, some years back now.

I can still remember him. He came across as a long lost friend, during our chat about all things EMU.

That's how I will continue to remember him, A lost friend.

A courageous Gentleman, to the last.

May he Rest in Peace.

Ver, very sad news indeed. His reappearance on the exhibition circuit this year and seeing him at what I guess was his last one at Burton just a few months ago, gave hope that he had mastered his illness if not totally conquered it, so to hear this is devastating.

Alistair's input to many projects beyond NNK went largely unrecognised but his talents came to the fore in taking a basket case of a kit range, designed for a totally different generation, and turning those he re-issued into respectable pieces fit for the current generation. Sadly ironic that Colin Massingham, who originated the kits in the first place, also succumbed to the disease, which led to Alistair grasping the nettle with the then MTK range.

Always chatty and never short of advice on his subject, Alistair was one of the gents of the circuit and one who will be genuinely missed by all who new him. I sincerely hope the 313 kit which I'd ribbed him about constantly, and which he had put so much into, does appear as a fitting epitaph to a much talented model maker and engineer.

I've only just read this absolutely gutted, it was only 2 or 3 weeks ago I was chatting to him on the phone, and he sent me some DMU desks I'd purchased off him, we were discussing his hopes that the business was soon to be sold off, but he was still detirmened to get a couple of his projects finished before the possible sale.

What a loss to His family & everybody involved in the Railway Modelling world, a true gentleman RIP Alistair.

Archived