Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Yes standard body shells, plate over windows where not needed for individual coach or set configuration.

Would this be a larger food prep area for GWR than will exist on ECML or perhaps is only at one end of the set.

The kitchen is only at the 1st class end of each set.

Of course a 5+5 set as currently running (well not today) has two kitchens.

Must be a bit gloomy in there - traditionally kitchens have some window...

Edited by Coryton

I know, I was trying (and obviously failing) to be sarcastic.

Roy

My apologies, my sarcasm reader had malfunctioned after being questioned once too often about the trains I will be driving next year, I have been reading the 259 page GWR Class 800 Operational Competence Manual (heavy going in places) but according to some I obviously dont know what I am talking about, and I was a bit 'bitey' by the time I got to your post.

Anyway its all HSTs in passenger service today, no IETs out playing.

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I hope the models work a bit better than the real thing seems to be at present.

As an aside, I travelled back from South Wales to Paddington today & had my first class 800 experience & I have to say 'very impressed'. It seems the niggles have been ironed out as the journey was smooth & quiet. It was also noticeable how quickly these units accelerate (similar to the Javalin, also manufactured by Hitachi as well). I guess these will be in squadron service for a few decades now.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

As an aside, I travelled back from South Wales to Paddington today & had my first class 800 experience & I have to say 'very impressed'. It seems the niggles have been ironed out as the journey was smooth & quiet. It was also noticeable how quickly these units accelerate (similar to the Javalin, also manufactured by Hitachi as well). I guess these will be in squadron service for a few decades now.

The acceleration is certainly good on electric power, and at low speeds on diesel. But at higher speeds on diesel it's become quite clear that they don't compare well to the 40+ year old trains they are replacing.

Apart from that (and the firmness of the seats for those without enough in-built padding) they are quite impressive (and I'd taken them any day over a Pendolino with its cramped interior and portholes instead of windows).

As an aside, if they're offering a GWR coach pack next year why can't they offer a Test Train coach pack?  :umbrage:

Here here! But I have a cunning plan.... It is almost certain that there shall be an over supply of the coach pack in GWR. When there is, they shall be discounted. I now just need to set a price I am willing to pay for the three coaches, to then re-spray into DfT Grey. Of course, by time I have completed this plan, it shall be 2019 and surely the missing 'Test Train' coaches shall be an exclusive limited edition pack. 

• Like 1

Intrigued to see that the Hitachi test livery (R3579) was originally supposed to be a limited edition of 250, yet is showing as limited edition of 500 on Hornby website. Had an email from Hattons today letting me know that the 800s are expected in March.

Intrigued to see that the Hitachi test livery (R3579) was originally supposed to be a limited edition of 250, yet is showing as limited edition of 500 on Hornby website. Had an email from Hattons today letting me know that the 800s are expected in March.

250 for Hitachi

250 for us mortals 

:)

0 centre coaches for all....

Edited by 159220

• RMweb Gold

I see that these have slipped back to March now on the Hornby Website. Is there anyone in the know as to when they are likely to be released. Budgeting and all.

Cheers

Yes, Hornby are in the know, and have put it on their website!

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Interesting that many suppliers have suddenly hit a March delay.

Did China take an extended Christmas break this year ?

Looks like March will be the new Christmas this year.. good few items arriving.

Edited by adb968008

There is always a delay on the run to Chinese New Year in getting containers away. As a rule depending on where the factory is located it’s beween 7-14 days from factory to 9n board actual UK bound ship (when the co trainers is taken from the factory it rarely goes direct to shipping port it normally goes on a barge or feeder service to main shipping port) then it goes onboard ship to the UK which depending on shipping line will take between up to 4 weeks to get to port here, which seeing the boxes I’ve been sent before is usually Thames-port so allow 3 days for onward to the factory then resent to the dealers. As a rule we allow 60 days for door to door on the goods we bring in from China

Let's hope toadies VTEC news doesn't cause withdrawals of the pre-orders for the VTEC/Hitachi 800...

There is no VTEC livery announced by Hornby on the 800/1 or /2? 

Perhaps you mean the limited edition of Test Train 2 in 'Hitachi Inspire the Next' livery on the DTPF car? Hornby's take on that is sold out.

Seeing that the ECML line shall be run under management contract/Direct Award for at least the next 3-4 years, the Virgin brand shall still be used. DOR does not exist anymore. 

Edited by 159220

Why would virgin be forced to have their brand used with whoever the new operator found is? I would be supprised if that was required...

It has a small virgin logo on it though... The whole red scheme very much suggests virgin to me. Not going to quite be the iconic start of a new virgin addition that it was meant to be... Probably won't effect sales from the pre orders much but I think it might have somewhat of an impact on future value...

Too many as a lot of stuff I have on order (both Hornby and Bachmann) is now due in March - how am I going to explain the Credit card bill to my wife? :)

• RMweb Gold

Too many as a lot of stuff I have on order (both Hornby and Bachmann) is now due in March - how am I going to explain the Credit card bill to my wife? :)

Say you went to an adult club.. the pain soon goes away and you get to keep the models afterwards.

• Like 1