Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

This looks a lot more complex than the Night & Day LU liveries on Bachmann's Limited Edition 66's which required new print processes. In fact as a layperson it looks like a total nightmare! If Hornby can match the quality on Realtrack's GW Pacer liveries with this then it will be very impressive.

I see in the latest Hornby Magazine that Hornby are working on a removable nose panel to conceal an NEM coupling pocket / coupler  :wub:

Any chance you could upload a snippet?

Could this pave the way for some Class 800 test train coaches? Not sure if I should cancel my pre-order. As £250 for a train without any possibility of coaches in the future is a steep price, and I may just save that £250 for a (fingers crossed) Virgin Azuma Class 800 in the future.

Or do people think this is a good collectable item to have?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The paragraph says

"the Hornby development team has been working on further detailing for the Hitachi Class 800 units including creating a removable nose panel to conceal an NEM coupling pocket as well as a dummy Scharfenberg coupling to clip into the socket. This will allow multiple '800s' to be coupled together to create longer formations"

Edited by Hilux5972
  • Like 2

The paragraph says

"the Hornby development team has been working on further detailing for the Hitachi Class 800 units including creating a removable nose panel to conceal an NEM coupling pocket as well as a dummy Scharfenberg coupling to clip into the socket. This will allow multiple '800s' to be coupled together to create longer formations"

A dummy Scharfenberg coupling? Hornby produces a Scharfenberg which actually couples. That would be a lot better, I should have thought. It might make those items easier to get hold of as well! 

The paragraph says

So Hornby expect us to buy multiple Class 800 test trains? £250 is steep enough as it is.

I for one cannot afford to fork out another £250 for an extra 2 cars, when £250 should be to buy you a whole rake of Mk.3 coaches for the HST's that they are replacing, with a bit of change.

• RMweb Premium

So Hornby expect us to buy multiple Class 800 test trains? £250 is steep enough as it is.

I for one cannot afford to fork out another £250 for an extra 2 cars, when £250 should be to buy you a whole rake of Mk.3 coaches for the HST's that they are replacing, with a bit of change.

Not necessarily the test trains. People will want to run longer GWR in service trains as well.

• RMweb Gold

Not necessarily the test trains. People will want to run longer GWR in service trains as well.

Then perhaps Hornby should make them to Railroad standards, with a comparatively lower price, and see how many they sell.

Then perhaps Hornby should make them to Railroad standards, with a comparatively lower price, and see how many they sell.

Why? Even at £375 RRP for the GWR 5 coach IEP there will be people who buy two so they can run a prototypical 10 coach train.

Why? Even at £375 RRP for the GWR 5 coach IEP there will be people who buy two so they can run a prototypical 10 coach train.

I'm sure I read that Hornby will be releasing extra coaches for the GWR class 800, to make the full 9 car set.

Can anyone confirm this or am I mistaken?

I'm sure I read that Hornby will be releasing extra coaches for the GWR class 800, to make the full 9 car set.

T4 aka 800004 is a five car train, thus you cannot form it into nine car. I believe it has been suggested nine car Class 800/801/802 are possible in the future, though the market for a nine car train might be small.

I think most if not all of the 250 customers who have secured T2 aka 800002 might like the three missing centre cars.....

T4 aka 800004 is a five car train, thus you cannot form it into nine car. I believe it has been suggested nine car Class 800/801/802 are possible in the future, though the market for a nine car train might be small.

I think most if not all of the 250 customers who have secured T2 aka 800002 might like the three missing centre cars.....

Yup, I'm definitely one of them. Would make a very nice train if they sold the extra coaches.

I've also realised where I read the bit about the 9 car class 800. It was actually from Hornby's website: https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/hitachi-iep-bi-mode-class-800-0-gwr-train-pack.html

The Hornby website talks about the real-life class 800s, and how they can be run in 9 car and even 12 car sets.

Hornby to be honest should release more coaches, at least for the Class 800 GWR, as buying 2 sets to make a 10 car train for £700 is overkill and frankly ridiculous, when an extra 4 coaches should only cost £120 (£30 each), rather than £350 for an extra train set!

Edited by hamish_barb

• 3 weeks later...

When I last looked on the Hornby website (on 11January!) the Hitachi test train had 'sold out' on pre-orders. Spotted today that Hornby are taking pre-orders just now. Anyone know what's going on? Or have those hoped-for sales at retailers just not materialised releasing a few more for the website?

I'm sure I read that Hornby will be releasing extra coaches for the GWR class 800, to make the full 9 car set

Today at work (a certain TOC of relevance) my colleague was working on livery artwork for the Hornby model. The document he was working on contained a full 9 car set*

Make of that what you will.

*EDIT I hasten to add artwork images - not images of a 9 car Hornby model

Edited by SouthernMafia

Today at work (a certain TOC of relevance) my colleague was working on livery artwork for the Hornby model. The document he was working on contained a full 9 car set*

Make of that what you will.

*EDIT I hasten to add artwork images - not images of a 9 car Hornby model

Good stuff. Hopefully we get the extra Class 800 GWR coaches soon then!

Good stuff. Hopefully we get the extra Class 800 GWR coaches soon then!

It may well come to nothing, but clearly someone somewhere has thought about it otherwise they would've just asked for a 5-car to be done. Wait and see I guess.

I would ask my colleague for a bit more detail but that would risk breaking rule 1 of working on the railway - don't tell em you're into trains!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Looks promising, I'm not the biggest fan of the IEP but like it or not it will be the mainstay of many long distance routes for many years. This should be a good, steady seller for Hornby, probably still be in their catalogue when I'm gone (assuming Hornby are still around).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

After watching the video via the Hornby train shed website, I'm not that impressed. It looks more akin to the Class 395 blue rapier rather than the quality and craftsmanship of the retooled Class 43s.

That could be because the real thing is not that dissimilar to the 395 anyway! (yes I know the 800s are longer, etc but the resemblance is there).

As such the prof is not how it looks compared to Hornby's HST - its how the 800 compares with the real thing. The HST is a fundamentally different, 40 year old design and cannot be compared in terms of appearance.

The only problem is that as the 800s are not yet in passenger service its a bit difficult to examine them close up, but from the photos seen thus far Hornby have done a good job.