Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

Andy Y

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Looks like it's going to be a complicated effort to get the special edition Livery applied. According to the latest Engine Shed,

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/class-800-test-train-livery/

the livery is going to be applied by both tampo printing and water labelling. I wonder if all 250 will be done by hand.

• Like 1

Looks like it's going to be a complicated effort to get the special edition Livery applied. According to the latest Engine Shed,

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/class-800-test-train-livery/

the livery is going to be applied by both tampo printing and water labelling. I wonder if all 250 will be done by hand.

How is water labelling different from waterslide transfer - looks the same to me yet they claim it cannot be removed. Whats the odds a number arriving with the water labelling out of sync.

• RMweb Premium

How is water labelling different from waterslide transfer - looks the same to me yet they claim it cannot be removed. Whats the odds a number arriving with the water labelling out of sync.

Perhaps they will explain further in a future Engine Shed. In the video, they do look to be a bit thicker and more sturdy than a standard transfer.

A plain grey EP sample was at the GCR show this weekend (along with a tasty looking Class 87 1st EP), first thing you notice is just how long these vehicles are.

Must admit I am not the greatest fan of the 800s, but the model does look superb. I asked and the model will be driven by a flywheel assisted twin drive shaft job, so will have plenty of power, should be a good step above the Pendolino/ Javelin but maybe not quite HST level (That is not a dig at the model btw, more complimenting the very high standard of the HST).

Wild Boar Fell

• 2 weeks later...

Models of 26m stock running round train-set curves are likely to cause some interesting clearance issues with whatever might be running on the inner track.

John

For interest, for those like me using trainset curves on the hidden bits-

My email to Hornby was immediately responded to-

The information is pertaining to the Power car, Running in a Clockwise direction, and measuring to the centre of the nearest rail. All dimensions are approximate, and should be checked by the customer prior to permanently fixing any accessories to the layout that may clash with the moving product.

R607. Inside overhang = 23.5mm. Outside overhang front =15mm. Outside overhang rear =23.5mm.

R609. Inside overhang = 22mm. Outside overhang front = 14mm. Outside overhang rear = 22mm.

I asked them (only) about 3rd radius (R607) and 4th radius (R609) because that it what I am using.

The rail centres gap between 3rd and 4th is circa 48mm, so two trains will pass.

Comparing these dimensions to my mark 3's, they do need a little more side room, however 25mm appears adequate all round.

I didn't ask about 2nd radius, but extrapolating and making assumptions, it looks just about possible if your track laying is spot on?

Trust this is of use.

Wandering Blue

• RMweb Premium

For interest, for those like me using trainset curves on the hidden bits-

My email to Hornby was immediately responded to-

The information is pertaining to the Power car, Running in a Clockwise direction, and measuring to the centre of the nearest rail. All dimensions are approximate, and should be checked by the customer prior to permanently fixing any accessories to the layout that may clash with the moving product.

R607. Inside overhang = 23.5mm. Outside overhang front =15mm. Outside overhang rear =23.5mm.

R609. Inside overhang = 22mm. Outside overhang front = 14mm. Outside overhang rear = 22mm.

I asked them (only) about 3rd radius (R607) and 4th radius (R609) because that it what I am using.

The rail centres gap between 3rd and 4th is circa 48mm, so two trains will pass.

Comparing these dimensions to my mark 3's, they do need a little more side room, however 25mm appears adequate all round.

I didn't ask about 2nd radius, but extrapolating and making assumptions, it looks just about possible if your track laying is spot on?

Trust this is of use.

Wandering Blue

Aren't the real things designed to fit where a Mark 3 currently goes?

I.e. distance between bogies similar to a Mk3, and the ends narrowed to reduce the impact of end-throw?

In which case much the same ought to apply to the models.

Of course Hornby originally made their Mk 3 coaches somewhat shorter than the real thing...

• RMweb Gold

For information:

Radius 2 is 438 mm.

Radius 3 is 505 mm.

Radius 4 is 572 mm.

Separation is 67 mm. (and not 48 mm. as stated above).

• RMweb Premium

Aren't the real things designed to fit where a Mark 3 currently goes?

I.e. distance between bogies similar to a Mk3, and the ends narrowed to reduce the impact of end-throw?

In which case much the same ought to apply to the models.

Of course Hornby originally made their Mk 3 coaches somewhat shorter than the real thing...

Mk3 length: 75ft 5.5in

Class 800 car length: 85ft 4in

So the extra 10ft is definitely there somewhere. Either between the bogies or split between Bogie centres and outside of them too.

• RMweb Premium

Mk3 length: 75ft 5.5in

Class 800 car length: 85ft 4in

So the extra 10ft is definitely there somewhere. Either between the bogies or split between Bogie centres and outside of them too.

Yes there's not much doubt that a 26 m long coach is longer than a 23 m one.

But from previous discussion on RMWeb, the bogie spacing is similar to a Mk3 keeping the inside overhang about the same, with the ends narrowed so the end-throw is no worse.

And what works in 1:1 scale is presumably similar in 00.

• RMweb Premium

The real things have a barred route list longer than the cleared route list st the moment !

There going to be a right nightmare to route during disruption until there cleared more widely.

Some irony to an electric train that can power itself on a diversion away from the wires if it's not allowed to...

Some irony to an electric train that can power itself on a diversion away from the wires if it's not allowed to...

On a parr with Grand Central terminating diesel HST trains at York when the overhead wires are down. (no route knowledge via Lincoln I have been led to believe)

Mike Wiltshire

For information:Radius 2 is 438 mm.Radius 3 is 505 mm.Radius 4 is 572 mm.Separation is 67 mm. (and not 48 mm. as stated above).

Budgie, yes you are quite correct, but also Hornby were referring to 'rail centres' being overhang from the centre of the relevant inner or outer rail.

I was referring to the distance between the outer rail of 3rd radius and the inner rail of 4th, when laid at 67mm 'centre to centre overall' in settrack formation.

WB

• RMweb Gold

Budgie, yes you are quite correct, but also Hornby were referring to 'rail centres' being overhang from the centre of the relevant inner or outer rail.

I was referring to the distance between the outer rail of 3rd radius and the inner rail of 4th, when laid at 67mm 'centre to centre overall' in settrack formation.

WB

OK.

• 5 weeks later...

Tucked away in the most recent Engine Shed is the presentation box for Test Train 800002. 

What do us lucky 250 modellers think? Personally, I do not know why but I am a little disappointed. A presentation box when advertised sounded special. As it might have had some goodies from Hitachi in it - a pen, a badge, etc. Or some special booklet about the testing programme which 800002 has been subjected to. Hitachi have been giving really imagination goodies away for a few years now, the coolest being the 800 USB sticks. 

Positives? Box is modern and uncomplicated. Great to see they have modelled the Dellner nose couplers. 

Lets hope the "we cannot wait to show you what we have planned later this year" means they shall release the three centre coaches to make a 5 coach unit! Or prove Rail Express Modeller's recent comment wrong "the same level of detail as a Pendolino"... As I do think for a significant price higher than a Pendolino, a model tooled several years later (i.e. technology feature improvements) and something which is aiming to be top of the Hornby range should be to the standard of the Pendolino model...It should be more of a HST model....but 2017 style. 

Before we leave this week, we wanted to show you one last thing. Our Class 800 IEP Test Train project is really gathering momentum now and we cannot wait to show you what we have planned later this year. In the meantime though, before the first decoration samples arrive we wanted to show you just how these Limited Edition models will arrive when they hit the shops! Something of a first here in The Engine Shed, take a look at the final box designs.

Box-closed.jpg

Box-opened.jpg

Edited by 159220

• RMweb Premium

Tucked away in the most recent Engine Shed is the presentation box for Test Train 800002.

Positives? Box is modern and uncomplicated. Great to see they have modelled the Dellner nose couplers.

Box-closed.jpg

Box-opened.jpg

What makes you think they have modelled the nose coupling? Those images on the inside of the lid are prototype images, not model images. Hornby Magazine have said that Hornby are trying to work out if a nose coupling is feasible, but have not confirmed that yet.

What do us lucky 250 modellers think? Personally, I do not know why but I am a little disappointed. A presentation box when advertised sounded special. As it might have had some goodies from Hitachi in it - a pen, a badge, etc. Or some special booklet about the testing programme which 800002 has been subjected to. Hitachi have been giving really imagination goodies away for a few years now, the coolest being the 800 USB sticks. 

Lets hope the "we cannot wait to show you what we have planned later this year" means they shall release the three centre coaches to make a 5 coach unit! Or prove Rail Express Modeller's recent comment wrong "the same level of detail as a Pendolino"... As I do think for a significant price higher than a Pendolino, a model tooled several years later (i.e. technology feature improvements) and something which is aiming to be top of the Hornby range should be to the standard of the Pendolino model...It should be more of a HST model....but 2017 style. 

Box-closed.jpg

Box-opened.jpg

Also sneaking into the blog is "Those of you lucky enough to have snapped up this limited edition run can expect to receive their models early next year."

Looking at the website, seems the date has slipped to February 2018 for the test livery train pack and January 2018 for the GWR train pack

Edited by TFR

• RMweb Gold

For some reason I had thought I had ordered the test Livery pack but appears I only ordered the GWR version.

Any word on extra coaches yet?

No, nothing has been mentioned recently about any extra coaches ...... but I do hope that they do  decide to do some extra coaches as the two-coach set on its own will look rather stupid.....

Keith