Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

• RMweb Gold

Any more pics of Maroon 46229. I'm still dithering, the 'gloss' finish looks better on the image above, but hard to tell from a 'display case' pic.

Any better pictures would be helpful!

Slightly close up ...

Dither ye not.

If no one else come up with one, my 46229 arrives on Monday, so I can line both 46256 and 229 then.

FYI I really didn’t see many William Staniers today, Rails has some for £220, and 35023 too which I hadn’t seen for a while.

post-20773-0-78912800-1511637146_thumb.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Any more pics of Maroon 46229. I'm still dithering, the 'gloss' finish looks better on the image above, but hard to tell from a 'display case' pic.

Any better pictures would be helpful!

Can't take a picture because my wife took it away for Xmas wrapping almost as soon as I got through the door! But rest assured it is very similar to 46256. In the cabinet it was next to the high gloss Black 5 and it is nowhere near as shiny as it, D8000 or the class 71.

I have loaded some views of 46256 onto YouTube together with some shots of 46243 (City of Lancaster).  Currently 46243  runs the more smoothly.  46256 is not good at very low speed and tries to jump the track at the set of facing points at the beginning of the non-scenic section (1min 09sec). You can hear the same noise again almost at the end of the video. I have checked all the back to backs and have also had the front bogie on and off.  I have had hundreds and  hundreds (well a lot) of engines over these points without incident - so still work in progress to sort this little issue.

http://youtu.be/i2sfXGxpA6M

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 1

I ordered and paid for one, and I'm waiting on them calling me when it is in stock, as i'll be going to collect it. it was due into stock w/c 13th, but these things can and do get delayed.

Paul.

Waiting for the same Paul, think it will Monday or Tuesday before we get a call as we know the team are at Warley.

Craig

Thanks Craig,

ever so slightly narked that they are trading them over the counter before sending out all of those that have already paid for them (in full) but as long as one comes my way, i'll be happy. 

Paul. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have been granted permission to give 46229 a test run before it’s wrapped for Xmas so have taken the opportunity to photograph it side by side with 46256. Interesting what a difference a coat of varnish makes to a colour. Photos taken by iPhone and workbench is illuminated by one of those magnifying daylight bulb things you get from squires (and others).

post-1047-0-06782300-1511683869_thumb.jpeg

post-1047-0-31050900-1511683899_thumb.jpeg

post-1047-0-09207900-1511683916_thumb.jpeg

post-1047-0-98690400-1511683945_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

I have been granted permission to give 46229 a test run before it’s wrapped for Xmas so have taken the opportunity to photograph it side by side with 46256. Interesting what a difference a coat of varnish makes to a colour. Photos taken by iPhone and workbench is illuminated by one of those magnifying daylight bulb things you get from squires (and others).

Very very nice. I will be making one change to mine, but its only a minor one. some years ago, as a child, i had some second hand Railway Modeller magazines, and one of these, probably from the mid 80's, had a section called 'LMS Stories', which included the writers interview with Robert Riddles, but also referenced the late 1970's restoration of 46229 (by ex GWR Men!), and they references the brass polybearing cover on the rear truck "they up there (York) can paint it if they want, but we'll leave it" and to this day that cover is still polished brass, so i'll be doing that on my model for sure. 

Paul. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Very very nice. I will be making one change to mine, but its only a minor one. some years ago, as a child, i had some second hand Railway Modeller magazines, and one of these, probably from the mid 80's, had a section called 'LMS Stories', which included the writers interview with Robert Riddles, but also referenced the late 1970's restoration of 46229 (by ex GWR Men!), and they references the brass polybearing cover on the rear truck "they up there (York) can paint it if they want, but we'll leave it" and to this day that cover is still polished brass, so i'll be doing that on my model for sure. 

Paul.

And likewise all of the injector plumbing under the cab which Hornby seem obsessed at painting ‘brass and copper’ will be going black on mine. :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The guys in the stand today said 2/3rds of these are sold, no current plan for a repeat as teasingly “they’ve got a whole list of things coming next year that’s not yet announced”.

Judging by the frequent restocking of the stall today they are going well.

• Like 2

Any one still got R3555 cheapest one seen is Olivias at £250 please pm me.

They had 4 of one of the duchess models in the kwvr shop when I was in there on Friday. Not sure which one sorry or even if they do mail order but it might be worth a phone call? 01535 640464

Mine arrived late morning, cardboard box had slight crumple marks - alarm bells ringing! Outer Hornby packaging fine but clear plastic packaging shattered, loco completely dead also noticed whistle was missing so packed it back up to send back. Packaging from Locomotion very poor, just a single bit of bubble wrap so very loose in the cardboard box. Not happy!

I bought the NRM Duchess of Hamilton at Warley off the NRM stand, ABSOLUTELY STUNNING model !!!!!!!

They still have stock now, so RUSH if you want one £190 !!!!

I absolutely love mine, the best model in my collection. 

It has awesome detail, smoke deflectors, double chimney AND a beautiful semi gloss paint finish !!

Pic of her on my knee on the NEC bus back to the car :-)

post-32430-0-35579000-1511799484_thumb.jpg

P.S,

The guy on the stand ALSO said the NRM bought ALL the spares for this model, so they can be serviced/fixed if needed!!

Edited by swiftbeam
  • Like 4

I bought the NRM Duchess of Hamilton at Warley off the NRM stand, ABSOLUTELY STUNNING model !!!!!!!

They still have stock now, so RUSH if you want one £190 !!!!

I absolutely love mine, the best model in my collection. 

It has awesome detail, smoke deflectors, double chimney AND a beautiful semi gloss paint finish !!

Pic of her on my knee on the NEC bus back to the car :-)

attachicon.gif23926629_516789992021995_220056282358519133_o.jpg

P.S,

The guy on the stand ALSO said the NRM bought ALL the spares for this model, so they can be serviced/fixed if needed!!

Well I can't get hold of Locomotion models for love nor money, they won't answer the phone, which is annoying considering I paid for my model of 46229 some time back now, before the Warley show. The wife is going to the museum tomorrow in my stead.

Paul.

On a slightly different note, I received today the book, 'A Detailed History of The Stanier Pacifics'  subtitled 'The Princess Royals, The Turbomotive, and the Coronations' by John Jennison , published by the RCTS  at www.rcts.org.uk 

ISBN 978-0-9934908-0-4 

and it is (at a first look) superb!   Over 27 quid but worth it in my opinion and I have the Irwell tomes and others,   this above looks to me to be the bee's knees.

I have a feeling this book will receive a lot of attention as I photograph various Hornby models, no excuses now...   not that there were any before.

Cheers, 

p.s. I forgot to add, it has beautiful paper, outstanding design, beautiful b+w reproduction, lots of colour reproductions at the rear, over 250pp, A4  portrait format,  120gm gloss art paper, hardcover.    

alas with my copy the binding is warped, doesn't lie flat, and the paper is rippled, and the colour plates are rather yellow-green, so it isn't perfect (and it would cost a lot to air-freight it back to the UK for replacement)   so it isn't all roses.

Edited by robmcg

On a slightly different note, I received today the book, 'A Detailed History of The Stanier Pacifics' subtitled 'The Princess Royals, The Turbomotive, and the Coronations' by John Jennison , published by the RCTS at www.rcts.org.uk

ISBN 978-0-9934908-0-4

and it is (at a first look) superb! Over 27 quid but worth it in my opinion and I have the Irwell tomes and others, this above looks to me to be the bee's knees.

I have a feeling this book will receive a lot of attention as I photograph various Hornby models, no excuses now... not that there were any before.

Cheers,

p.s. I forgot to add, it has beautiful paper, outstanding design, beautiful b+w reproduction, lots of colour reproductions at the rear, over 250pp, A3 portrait 120gm gloss art paper, hardcover.

alas with my copy the binding is warped, doesn't lie flat, and the paper is rippled, and the colour plates are rather yellow-green, so it isn't perfect (and it would cost a lot to air-freight it back to the UK for replacement) so it isn't all roses.

Certainly it's a very good book, i think it must rank second behind the Wild Swan LMS Locomotive Profile books on the Duchesses and the Princesses.

Shame to hear your copy isn't perfect Rob, mine that arrived in Australia just after publication is perfect, though i do know they had issues with the binding that caused a delay in publication.