Stone train derailment - Westbury to Castle Cary line

However stone is hardly a major environmental hazard is it? As such dumping it down the bank is entirely feasible if doable and if it represents the quickest way of clearing up the mess so the line can be reopened.

Unfortunately people like the environmental agency, wildlife & countryside can think so.  We had this problem when we wanted to consolidate ground with 80 tons from less than 5 miles from point zero    :O

• RMweb Gold

The time penalty for running via Bristol is actually not so great, suspect the main problem will be getting slots in the timetable rather than the extra distance involved.

Some of the Paignton trains are routed via Bristol anyway and comparison of timings for one so routed and another routed via Westbury, with similar number of stops, shows the via Bristol train needing just ten minutes extra to arrive in Exeter.

Dare one say it, a WoE service given a fast run via Bristol, over a stopping one via the B&H, might even be faster, given all the 125mph running that's possible the long way round.

Then, whisper it quietly, but after the HSTs were first introduced, I believe BR even considered sending most of the WoE services via Bristol so as not to waste their 125 mph capability and, at the time, maybe do better business that way.

Maybe an idea whose time will come again once the wires reach somewhere near Bristol but nowhere near Westbury.

There was some very serious questioning at the time about exactly what should be done with the Wilts & Weymouth/Langport cut-off route in respect of upgrading for HST operation or indeed any sort of operation on the Langport cut-off.  In the end some realism prevailed as although there was a feeling against closing or severely down rating the Langport cut-off section (i.e. Castle Cary to Cogload) it was concluded that it was operationally sensible to retain it as it provided a diversionary route and capacity relief for the Bristol/Bridgwater route while a commercial case was also made on the basis of originating revenue (albeit hardly a gold mine) and overall journey time savings - although they aren't massive.  When, in 1984, I was doing the WR's Serpell proposal studies and devising numerous rationalisation proposals I left the Langport route completely alone and nobody questioned my decision to do so.

Perversely I suspect the later de-quadrification of Filton Bank could almost be linked to retention of the route via Castle Cary as there was in effect a reduced need for quadruple track to get West of England trains up to the Badminton route (assuming they could actually be got through Temple Meads of course).

into the muddy gunge beneath the track - nota  trace of it left!

Which is pretty much getting to the root cause of the problem these days too........................

judging by the state of the rollercoaster SW mainline ....................................... only a matter of time - major freightliner derailment

but then I'm just a bitter ex-TME ................

There was some very serious questioning at the time about exactly what should be done with the Wilts & Weymouth/Langport cut-off route in respect of upgrading for HST operation or indeed any sort of operation on the Langport cut-off.  In the end some realism prevailed as although there was a feeling against closing or severely down rating the Langport cut-off section (i.e. Castle Cary to Cogload) it was concluded that it was operationally sensible to retain it as it provided a diversionary route and capacity relief for the Bristol/Bridgwater route while a commercial case was also made on the basis of originating revenue (albeit hardly a gold mine) and overall journey time savings - although they aren't massive.  When, in 1984, I was doing the WR's Serpell proposal studies and devising numerous rationalisation proposals I left the Langport route completely alone and nobody questioned my decision to do so.

Perversely I suspect the later de-quadrification of Filton Bank could almost be linked to retention of the route via Castle Cary as there was in effect a reduced need for quadruple track to get West of England trains up to the Badminton route (assuming they could actually be got through Temple Meads of course).

I suspect nowadays no one would propose actual closure of the Westbury route as over the years commuter traffic has built up considerably since the 1970s, so much so most hours there are two departures that way, a fast and a stopper.

But those fast trains might be better going via Bristol once the wires are up, remembering that the full IEP service will be four an hour to Bristol two of them limited stop (two stops).

Closing any route to passengers these days is near impossible, if routes like Stalybridge to Stockport are still going.

It would be interesting to see what happens when wires do get to Bristol though. Trains that don't stop between Reading and Taunton could go any number of routes. If IEP diesel performance is as weak as the rumours suggest, sending them via Badminton on the juice might be sensible. Particularly if/when 140mph comes along.

• RMweb Premium

Closing any route to passengers these days is near impossible, if routes like Stalybridge to Stockport are still going.

That's not really a "these days" thing though, the old "parliamentary train" where it's cheaper to run the minimum service than go through the hassle of removing it has been around for a long time (at least that's what I believe the situation is, could it also be a needed positioning move in any case, making the case for formal withdrawal even weaker). The line itself must get used by quite a bit else though, one train a week and I'd expect it to look rather rustier most times I've been past.

In contrast to the doom and gloom of the railfreight world at the moment, a little bit of a positive story.

A sign of the flexibility rail can offer and the can do attitude, trucks are bringing stone from Merehead to Westbury where the spoil unloading siding is being used to load the aggregate so at least some trains can run.

Makes things rather hectic on the down side yard, but a bit of good news from NR and DB I thought

Jo

• RMweb Gold

I suspect nowadays no one would propose actual closure of the Westbury route as over the years commuter traffic has built up considerably since the 1970s, so much so most hours there are two departures that way, a fast and a stopper.

But those fast trains might be better going via Bristol once the wires are up, remembering that the full IEP service will be four an hour to Bristol two of them limited stop (two stops).

Snag is that the ever increasing demand for capacity to Bristol is likely to stymie the provision of West of England capacity via Bristol within quite a short time.

In any case, the routeing of Plymouth and Penzance services via the Berks and Hants ensures that longer distance travellers are separated from that competition for seats and avoids the possibility of trains being crammed to Bristol and half empty thereafter.

Mind you, I'm by no means convinced that the residents of Somerset, Devon and Cornwall will ultimately find the replacement of their 40-year-old trains to be an enhancement.

John

Time was when any self respecting shed worthy of the name would have a crane nearby.  This one whatever it was, had to come from Wigan so I have to assume it was railway mounted.  Whatever it was, it adds to the delay plus the missing crossovers make it even longer.  How it was all cleared so fast under such circumstance is amazing.

Brian

Presumably lifting was finished on Thursday since both cranes were in the down yard at Westbury this morning, and both (I think) went on 6O41 to Eastleigh. The breakdown crane certainly did.

Some of that 'stone' looks suspiciously sand size.  Perhaps a case for a vacuum excavator ?

Ray

The train could be carrying anything from sand right through to stuff that's virtually rocks, with many grades in between. From memory the Bow West (which these hoppers were destined for) is usually the finer end of that spectrum.

Jo

• RMweb Gold

Still under possession but 1C98 is in Westbury, the 20:35, Paddington - Plymouth via Westbury service - waiting for the line to reopen ? (was scheduled for 22:00 but now late)

post-6662-0-61633600-1490394157_thumb.jpg

Update.

1C98 VSTP via Bath so the line doesn't look to be reopening at 22:00 as planned / rumoured / whatever.

Hi All

Can anybody  tell me the number of the crane that came from Springs Branch, Wigan please.

T.I.A.

emte

Time was when any self respecting shed worthy of the name would have a crane nearby.  This one whatever it was, had to come from Wigan so I have to assume it was railway mounted.  Whatever it was, it adds to the delay plus the missing crossovers make it even longer.  How it was all cleared so fast under such circumstance is amazing.

Brian

Time was when there were a lot more derailments, with plenty of work for the cranes and no practicable alternative. The list at the beginning of page 1 runs to maybe half a dozen in the last year or so, most of which won't have required a crane at all. Most sheds didn't have 125ton cranes like that Kirow one either. The (2?) pure breakdown cranes still maintained by Network Rail aren't exactly overworked.

Interesting that the top sloped sides are strong enough to take the full weight of the wagon (Plus part of the load?).

I thought they were just thick sheet metal, without any reinforcing.

Thank you Mathew EWS for the pictures.

Gordon A

• RMweb Gold

And we're back in the room

post-6662-0-69675700-1490424792_thumb.jpg

The line between Castle Cary and Westbury has now reopened after a freight train derailed between these stations on Monday evening.

Several of the derailed wagons contained stone and sand, which resulted in the contents overflowing on to the track. Network Rail have cleared the site, rerailed the wagons, moved the train away from the affected area and repaired the damage to the track.

Great Western Railway trains may be delayed by up to 10 minutes between Castle Cary and Westbury due to a speed restriction which has been imposed on the line. Disruption is expected to continue until 10:00.

Archived