Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

I can vaguely recall some discussion of this after I first discovered them myself - they are just round the corner from my brother's place - and seemingly for some unfathomable reason Thomas Muir's have been unco-operative. Don't know why, a couple of the Wemyss austerities escaped from their yard and are still chuffing around.

Mind you I'm idly curious to know where this pair came from originally

Yes. I remember someone I knew enquiring about them in the late 1980s. The owner was apparently treating them as his "insurance" for his retirement as he regarded them as being worth a lot of money. Some escaped, but I think there are still four there.

The Avonside earlier in the thread was from Cronton Colliery. I saw it when it was at West Houghton in the 1980s. There was another locomotive in that yard which was buried under a pile of cars. A Hudswell Clark I seem to remember.

Jason

I was under the impression that the standard off-shelf colour of these Barclays was a lightish blue, but googling earlier this evening didn't turn up anything beyond an unreferenced statement that the usual factory finish was a lined green!

Anybody able to quote chapter and verse either way?

Lined green was the "standard" livery I believe. Usually with the name painted on the tanksides. I think the works archives are still in existence and housed by The university Of Glasgow.

Same as this. http://www.ribblesteam.org.uk/exhibits/steam/2-andrew-barclay-1598-1918-efficient

Although I would have thought that many buyers would have picked their own liveries and many would have been repainted over the years, especially if they had changed hands.

I believe that Efficient above never changed livery throughout it's existence, just a repaint in it's original colour when preserved. Photographs of others have the same lining and lettering, although most photographs are in B&W.

Jason

• Like 1

Same again in 1975, but perhaps a useful view of the footplate from the driver's viewpoint.

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/60/909/

That shows very well the running plate fabricated from diamond/chequer/durbar plate that a lot of  AB's seem to have been built with.

Thanks,

P

Could someone enlighten me on qhat type of industral site FINA was? I can't find anything about it on Google at all.

The engine never carried that livery in its working life. It was a sponsorship deal in the early days of Steamtown Carnforth from Petrofina who supplied oil to us at that time. It worked for British Gypsum before preservation and was painted in the faded standard Barclays works green.

The engine never carried that livery in its working life. It was a sponsorship deal in the early days of Steamtown Carnforth from Petrofina who supplied oil to us at that time. It worked for British Gypsum before preservation and was painted in the faded standard Barclays works green.

Ah, okay thanks for the heads up. I could see them doing 2134 in her original livery eventually aswell, it'd make that one be modelled in 4 different liveries too.

Been studying the pictures, both the models and the real thing. Lovely models of a much loved loco type, but can Hatton Dave confirm if the cab windows shown on the EP have now been moved to the correct place for the production version. The cab windows appear to be closer to the roof than the tank whereas it should be the other way round, it is quite obvious on the photos the difference between the model and the prototype. It took a wee while to figure what was different between the 14'' and the 16'' locos but Porcy's animation shows the size difference very well but the windows are slightly out on both.

Dave Franks.

Don't care, its the closest match to the post-nationalisation Aberdeen Gas Works livery  :triniti: The Fina logo won't last five minutes and I can foresee an order to Narrow Planet for plates.

Mind you, given the number of "preservation" liveries, Hattons really could do with turning out more working and ex-works locos.

Don't care, its the closest match to the post-nationalisation Aberdeen Gas Works livery  :triniti: The Fina logo won't last five minutes and I can foresee an order to Narrow Planet for plates.

Mind you, given the number of "preservation" liveries, Hattons really could do with turning out more working and ex-works locos.

Funnily enough, given your forum name, I have ordered the Caledonian one with a view to removing the C-crest-R lettering, and have pre-empted the announcement of these locos by ordering a few sets of nameplates from Narrow Planet for my fictitious industrial group of locos - I ordered some extras to allow for future additions to the fleet, so the A-B will receive one of these extra sets.

I can thoroughly recommend the service provided by Narrow Planet, with this being my third order from them. They even send a link to the artwork so you can check that they are what you had in mind. I have no connection with them except as a satisfied customer.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I can thoroughly recommend the service provided by Narrow Planet, with this being my third order from them. They even send a link to the artwork so you can check that they are what you had in mind. I have no connection with them except as a satisfied customer.

Thanks for that. I recently bookmarked them thinking I may order some custom pates one day.

Edited by Scottish-Exile

Another model added to the list. Anyone fancy chopping there new model and doing one with a NCB coal bunker mod..... also is there even a sound file for a Barclay available at the moment? Seem to be drawing a blank when trying to locate one

Hells bells! I must have been living under a rock! I had no idea there was a BARCLAY being produced. I never thought to look under Hattons rather than Hornby or Bachmann. Only question is which one(s) to get. Think NCB green is a very n members the lined black. Have to do a spot of research on fife puggies.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Another milestone has been reached for all of our Andrew Barclay locomotives as we have received all 12 painted samples.

post-28458-0-45367700-1508509616_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-38607900-1508509624_thumb.jpg

We're happy with how things are progressing and we're glad to report that we've not had to note many corrections.

AB14-002 is sporting a shade of green that is a little too light and a revised shade has already been specified.

AB16-002 and AB16-004 have been incorrectly fitted with high tanks on these samples. Low tanks will be used for the production models.

There are also some minor blemishes in some of the lining and we will be ensuring that this is resolved for the final models.

Enough of me though, here's some photos for you to enjoy.

AB14-001 - Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST 14” 2047 ‘705’ in BR black with early crest

post-28458-0-53382800-1508508220_thumb.jpg

AB14-002 - Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST 14” 2047 ‘705’ in GWR green with shirtbutton roundel

post-28458-0-91171300-1508508226_thumb.jpg

AB14-003 - Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST 14” 2134 “Coronation” in lined green

post-28458-0-60677000-1508508235_thumb.jpg

AB14-004 - Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST 14” 1863 in Caledonian Railway lined blue

post-28458-0-31853000-1508508246_thumb.jpg

AB14-005 - Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST 14” 2134 “WTT” in lined green

post-28458-0-50111300-1508508253_thumb.jpg

AB14-006 - Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST 14” 2069 “Little Barford” in Acton Lane Power Station blue with wasp stripes

post-28458-0-14281500-1508508261_thumb.jpg

AB14-007 - Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST 14” 1927 ‘No.1’ in Burnley Corporation Gas Department blue

post-28458-0-33957200-1508508269_thumb.jpg

AB14-008 - Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST 14” 2134 ‘No.3’ in Fina lined blue

post-28458-0-14217400-1508508277_thumb.jpg

AB16-001 - Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST 16” 2244 ‘No.10’ in NCB lined black

post-28458-0-43529400-1508508298_thumb.jpg

AB16-002 - Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST 16” 2043 'No 6' in NCB green (previously announced as: 2260 ‘No.23’ in NCB green)

post-28458-0-43897400-1508508472_thumb.jpg

AB16-003 - Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST 16” 2226 “Katie” in lined maroon

post-28458-0-00526000-1508508484_thumb.jpg

AB16-004 - Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST 16” 1964 in CPC UK blue

post-28458-0-43363300-1508508497_thumb.jpg

Hi-resolution images, including more angles are available to view HERE on our website.

As always, we'd love to hear your thoughts and feedback.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

"As always, we'd love to hear your thoughts and feedback."

My only thought is you're a very bad man! I'd only ordered one and now I want four of the little b****** ;)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1