BRM January 2018

Re6/6

Advert opposite the Festival of British Railway Modelling "accurascale - Uncompromising fidelity in 4mm scale. Coming Soon"

Any insider track info.........rumours, whose doing what, etc.?

Well, as they are from Ireland, "uncompromising fidelity" will have to mean 12mm and/or 21mm gauge.

John

They are not building for the Irish market. Their subsequent postings in the thread quoted above make it quite clear that they will be for the British market - OO Gauge and 4mm scale

At the risk of stating the screamingly obvious, there's a glaring compromise right there, of course... ;) :D Edited by F-UnitMad

I wear varifocal and used the 3d glasses without them, i was really impressed with the quality of the photos, i only needed to put my proper glasses on to read captions. Couldnt do that with 3d ones on as well. That is not a criticism merely an observation.

Think the best two photos are Ducks Stores and The Tiler, I dont think the photo of theClass 4300 works, but, that could be my eyesight. I think BRM should be congratulated for an ambitious idea.

• RMweb Premium

Further to my previous comment on suffering a migraine trying to use the 3D glasses, I had another go last night and found that if I wear the 3D glasses outside my normal glasses then I am fine and the pictures are magic! Very pleased I tried again.

• Like 1

I'm like Mike B and have a lazy eye so I wasn't expecting the 3D images to work. I downloaded the digital issue because it looked good anyway.

I am in Africa and was wondering whether a pair of glasses would be posted to me as well but saved BRM the postage by finding a pair I'd kept just in case the cellophane would be useful for signals.

Using the glasses made the images more 'normal looking' but not quite 3D.

Despite it not really working for me I do think it's a good idea, as long as the whole magazine isn't done in 3D!

Thank you for excluding non UK customers of the digital version with your 3D gimmick. When I followed the link, I found I had to sign up for another version of the BRM newsletter in order to get the glasses. I had originally signed up for said newsletter several years ago but you seem to have lost any trace of that signup.  Read my post....NO MORE GIMMICKS!  And the glasses would have taken weeks to reach this former Spanish colony.

Thanks again for a stupid trick.  I hope you have gotten this out of your system and don't try it again.

• Administrators

Thank you for excluding non UK customers of the digital version with your 3D gimmick. When I followed the link, I found I had to sign up for another version of the BRM newsletter in order to get the glasses. I had originally signed up for said newsletter several years ago but you seem to have lost any trace of that signup.  Read my post....NO MORE GIMMICKS!  And the glasses would have taken weeks to reach this former Spanish colony.

Thanks again for a stupid trick.  I hope you have gotten this out of your system and don't try it again.

I was once told, by a similarly angry poster on a web forum, that photographs on the Internet were a gimmick and that I should never include them in the publication again. 

If you have a problem signing up to the newsletter, just send a PM with your address and some glasses will be put in the post. We do our best to be helpful, as many others can attest.

• Like 2

I was once told, by a similarly angry poster on a web forum, that photographs on the Internet were a gimmick and that I should never include them in the publication again. 

If you have a problem signing up to the newsletter, just send a PM with your address and some glasses will be put in the post. We do our best to be helpful, as many others can attest.

Phil

If you could do a Visual Reality version, that might be mildly interesting.  3D Visuals (as opposed to 3D printing) is sort of a 50's 60's throwback kitsch. 

I would prefer to come back over the pond for a visit and see Pendon for real again.  Maybe next year.

DB models got a small mention in the intro, but a quick Google only really revealed their eBay shop. So where is this new model shop?

Unit 3 The Arena, Roman Bank, Bourne, Lincolnshire PE10 9LQ

Tel: 01778 420066 Mobile: 07723 336344

Opening Hours: MONDAY to FRIDAY 9am to 5.30pm SATURDAY 9am TILL 1pm

Tried to order my 3D glasses but think I entered a competition! Not sure if they will arrive. Surely all digital subscribers are known to BRM and I would have thought glasses would be sent to all without the faffing about.

Nope, if you use Pocketmags we don't know who the readers are.

I’ve ordered my glasses but was wondering if the ones I got sold in a cinema once would also work? Has anyone tried? If not, I’ll try and report back.

David

Nope, it needs to be red/blue sort.

Disappointed with the 3D images for a few reasons. Darn difficult to see if you wear glasses, I love the modelling on Pendon but all I have is a supplement that is hard to view and lacks colour and is therefore already in the bin and finally with all the great leaps forward in 3D this takes me back to the 70's and early 80's when everything seemed to be 3D with blue/red glasses. It's like I've been caught in a time warp. A gimmick that gave me a headache, cheers.

Tried to order my 3D glasses but think I entered a competition! Not sure if they will arrive.

Same here. Found it too messy to bother. They probably wouldn't arrive before the next edition of BRM is out anyway. It is the Xmas mail period now after all. Unlikely much posted from the UK to this side of the planet will arrive until 2018 now. Like others I'm underwhelmed by the concept so won't be bothering. The rest of the mag is still a great read though, well up to normal BRM standards, so the 3D gimmick is no great loss.

• RMweb Gold

Disappointed with the 3D images for a few reasons. Darn difficult to see if you wear glasses, I love the modelling on Pendon but all I have is a supplement that is hard to view and lacks colour and is therefore already in the bin and finally with all the great leaps forward in 3D this takes me back to the 70's and early 80's when everything seemed to be 3D with blue/red glasses. It's like I've been caught in a time warp. A gimmick that gave me a headache, cheers.

I don't know - in a few weeks' time, some people might be acquiring headaches without the need for coloured glasses ….

I wonder, though, if the problem might have been something to do with the 3D glasses - although they are undoubtedly a standard item, I suspect that some people might have found the card frames a bit small - the arms not quite reaching their ears - the bits of coloured filter a bit too close together - that sort of thing. I'm not sure - but I can't help wondering. (However, I often find cheap reading glasses and sunglasses unusable for a similar reason - and please don't get me started on the tiny frames a lot of optometrists seem intent on inflicting on those of us who need distance glasses!)

Anyway, if the supplement that's been binned is the same one as was on the BRM stand at "Warley", it's a shame - it could have been great fun at a festive get-together. Although it seemed a bit strange, I still liked what I saw - and I am looking forward to getting my own copy, albeit from my local corner newsagent.

When it comes to stuff like this, I guess it's a case of "each to their own".

Huw.

If you wait until Christmas, you'll probably find some red and blue cellophane wrapping in a box/carton/tub/tin of chocolates!  Make your own 3D glasses!!!

We're railway modellers, we can do that....

• Like 2

I finally cracked the 3D problem last night, I used a second pair of glasses that I found in the cupboard,

post-18627-0-96694800-1512987781_thumb.jpg

If you half fill them with this,

post-18627-0-63587200-1512987675_thumb.jpg

then drink it, the Pendon photo's look superb, - however the rest of the magazine is just a blurry mess.

Peter