Playing music at exhibitions - is it a good idea?

I find that some large exhibitions already have too much noise from DCC sound, crowds and just general background noise. I think the problem with music on a layout is that, if everyone had it, the sound from all the layouts would just mingle into an annoying racket. Also regarding the copyright issues, would the Musicians' Union also demand that music should be live? ;D And on my stone quarry layout would I have to play 'rock' music? :) I'll get my coat.

The licence is from the PRS,  the Performing Right Society,  many venues have the licence, pubs etc

https://www.prsformusic.com/what-we-do/licensing-music/do-i-need-a-licence

Edited by Pandora

• RMweb Gold

Argh, no!

There was an NSE-themed layout (Croydon North Street?) at the Basingstoke show a year or two back with canned announcements on it - "The train now standing in platform one is...". Except that in the time I was watching the same train, having not moved, was announced as going to about half a dozen different destinations. I felt really sorry for the adjacent exhibitors who had to put up with it all weekend...

• RMweb Premium

The problem isn't with the sounds, but with the speakers. Omni-directional ones are going to cause headaches to neighbouring layouts. What you'd need is a uni-directional one like the domed ones often found in museums; think of an umbrella - step under it and you can hear the noise, step away and the sound can no longer be heard.

I'm not sure that adding music to a layout would enhance it. It would help set the time but I don't think it would enhance the realism. Adding background noise (nature, traffic etc) would add to the atmosphere but I think the biggest thing missing is the sound of the train; We've now got good noises for locos but the sound the rest of the train is missing from the aural landscape.

Steven B.

Edited by Steven B

Argh, no!

There was an NSE-themed layout (Croydon North Street?) at the Basingstoke show a year or two back with canned announcements on it - "The train now standing in platform one is...". Except that in the time I was watching the same train, having not moved, was announced as going to about half a dozen different destinations. I felt really sorry for the adjacent exhibitors who had to put up with it all weekend...

Seems like it wasn't properly synchronised with the actual movement of trains. Then again I was on a real Great Northern train the other day with the next station display about 2 stations behind the whole way...

• Like 1

Seems like it wasn't properly synchronised with the actual movement of trains. Then again I was on a real Great Northern train the other day with the next station display about 2 stations behind the whole way...

That’s not as bad as a journey I had on a new S7 stock train last year. The on-board announcement had really got its knickers in a twist and was going backwards, much to the train operators annoyance!

As a person whose 2 hobbies are music and model railways may I say a huge "NO" to the whole idea.  I pay to go and see musicians perform but I choose which ones carefully.  Similarly if I want to listen to records / CDs / downloads or whatever, I have a home with the appropriate equipment. No two people have the same taste and one person's easy listening will grate on the next person's teeth.

I wouldn't go to a rock gig or a classical orchestra or a solo singe with guitar and expect to see a model railway operating in the corner would I ?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As a person whose 2 hobbies are music and model railways may I say a huge "NO" to the whole idea.  I pay to go and see musicians perform but I choose which ones carefully.  Similarly if I want to listen to records / CDs / downloads or whatever, I have a home with the appropriate equipment. No two people have the same taste and one person's easy listening will grate on the next person's teeth.

I wouldn't go to a rock gig or a classical orchestra or a solo singe with guitar and expect to see a model railway operating in the corner would I ?

Hi John

Now that is an idea. Any bands out there who would like to see a model railway next to the mech table? Please contact me through my agent.

Another idea, moving on from the reggae sound system of yesterday. there appeared no room in the van for the layout. Was to go back to the notion that we as railway modellers when exhibiting are entertainers.......KAZOOS.... easy to carry in my pocket and I can whip it out when the urge takes me. Even better all exhibitors join in .

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/roger-daltrey-and-cliff-parsons-help-launch-world-s-largest-model-railway-exhibition-centre-a6942096.html

Says here Roger Daltrey is a model railway enthusiast. I wonder if he would smash up the layout at the end of the exhibition in the style of The Who's early performances. :)

I still think the problem is more to do with the conflicting music if all the layouts had it, like if you went to a concert with people randomly performing completely different songs all at the same time. There are some limitations to exhibiting brought about about by the need for the layout to coexist with other layouts around it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/roger-daltrey-and-cliff-parsons-help-launch-world-s-largest-model-railway-exhibition-centre-a6942096.html

Says here Roger Daltrey is a model railway enthusiast. I wonder if he would smash up the layout at the end of the exhibition in the style of The Who's early performances. :)

I still think the problem is more to do with the conflicting music if all the layouts had it, like if you went to a concert with people randomly performing completely different songs all at the same time. There are some limitations to exhibiting brought about about by the need for the layout to coexist with other layouts around it.

Surely there is a style of music where people randomly perform completely different songs all at the same time- it’s called jazz......

• RMweb Premium

Surely there is a style of music where people randomly perform completely different songs all at the same time- it’s called jazz......

Where I use to work I would regularly see a car with the registration JA7.7. FAN.......yes his/her choice of car matched her/his taste in music.  :scared:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

I'm in the 'no' camp. What might be pleasant appropriate music to some can be an awful din and just noise to others.

My worst experience of unwanted noise at a show where I was exhibiting a layout was from an American layout that had a loud and dreadful clang, clang, clang, clang warning bell from a level crossing that seemed to be operating all the time.

Never again.

G

The answers seem to be confusing music and train noises, though agreed to some the sound of an A4 whistle on the East Coast main line would be music to their ears.  But the OP is music.

• RMweb Premium

I'm in the 'no' camp. What might be pleasant appropriate music to some can be an awful din and just noise to others.

My worst experience of unwanted noise at a show where I was exhibiting a layout was from an American layout that had a loud and dreadful clang, clang, clang, clang warning bell from a level crossing that seemed to be operating all the time.

Never again.

G

The answers seem to be confusing music and train noises, though agreed to some the sound of an A4 whistle on the East Coast main line would be music to their ears.  But the OP is music.

But isn't a bell a musical instrument?

Edit and so is a whistle and a kazoo.......we have a making of a band. :scared:

Edited by Clive Mortimore

I didn't say music, I said noise. And much so-called music these days is noise to my ears. Sometimes it's impossible to tell the difference, just like Perry Como found.

G

The four cafe orchestras in the Piazza San Marco in Venice have found a way to get around that. Three of them go off for a tea/peroni/grappa break when the fourth one is playing.....

Instead of having appropriate music to add to the atmosphere of the layout as has been suggested, couldn't we go the way of some daytime TV shows and just have music chosen for annoyingly literal song titles?

So for instance a rack railway could have this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EoCPuhhE6dw

Or a busy Metropolitan Railway station could have this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo6aKnRnBxM

Or an American layout with lots of locos with constantly clanging bells could have this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UaEC-lWSlmI (just in case anyone actually thought I was seriously suggesting you should choose layout music in this way :) )

I think we may have to bring the "home stereo" (1k PA system) next time Ravens goes out, a little bit of this to get everyone in that 80s mood http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x55ohpkAndi

The reason for raising this in the first place is that music forms the soundtrack to life for many people. I would never play a Rick Astley song by choice but hearing that sort of music would for me add to building the correct atmosphere for a late eighties layout.

Argh, no!

In that situation, perhaps the correct announcement should have been "due to the failure of the train on platform 1, a rail replacement bus service will be shortly departing from outside the station".

Or the operators could display an immaculately detailed station with a wet November afternoon feel and just play the hiss of falling rain, interspersed by distorted announcements with misleading and incoherent details of missing trains and rail replacement services.  No moving trains required, an authentic passenger experience, and an ideal cameo layout!

War weekends and Sixties weekends are very popular on heritage railways. How about model railway exhibitions with similar themes?

Themed layouts with appropriate music, maybe a band and people dressing up. That way people know what they are getting. It might even attract a few that wouldn't normally attend a model railway exhibition.

Jason