Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

• RMweb Gold

Watched the 3 episode again and I think what makes it interesting to the modeller may not make it appealing to the average viewer, still it it increases interest then its good

I still prefer the content of the first program (which I have only watched once) looking forward to the next episodes/finals to see if things interest me further. Still at the end of the day its a bit of fun and makes a change from other overworked formats

As I understand it, that episode was filmed later in the series, and I presume the production team thought it was the most gripping, so broadcast it first. 

• RMweb Premium

I've watched the great sewing bee (SWMBO is into weaving sewing etc). I generally enjoy the programme, The kilt making episode was good, It appeared that I knew more about making kilts than all but one of the contestants.

I like the Great bake off, I like food.....

I've decided I like the GMRC as a programme, not for anything I'm learning about modelling. Having this thread helps by giving us information about the show.

I find the presenters and judges very stilted in their presentation, and the bad jokes are definately not worth it..

As I understand it, that episode was filmed later in the series, and I presume the production team thought it was the most gripping, so broadcast it first. 

Thanks

I can see why they chose it to kick off the series as it was great TV for people watchers,

With respect to the other teams I prefered the subjects which were modelled which I thought were on the whole a bit better, but that's my take on it as a modeller

That is correct as it is what we were told by Channel 5.

Also, it was thought that as all 3 layouts in Heat 5 (the one broadcast first) were deemed to be more "conventional", there was less risk of the railway modelling fraternity (i.e. us) switching off immediately if we saw some of the more unconventional layouts in the first show and pre-judged the whole series.

Edited by Pete Thorpe

Great minds think alike! :-)

Other rolling stock - for the Australia scene it would be easy enough to repaint an HST as an XPT! Or maybe Pendennis Castle, as the two ran side-by-side in Perth.

I think quite a few people these days at least know about the USA tour as pretty much every documentary about the loco over the last few years has mentioned it.

Please no.

The XPT had /has corregated sides - something of a NSWGR trademark in the 80s with the stainless steel double deckers, both suburban and interurban.

I can't post a shot at the moment, but I really don't want to see a return of stunts like a Triang Brush 2 painted in Tuscan - something Hornby were happily flogging in their Australian range in the late 70s . I didn't see any 31s in Sydney Yard ........   The Louth trip yes. The N.Shore trip goods , no

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That is correct as it is what we were told by Channel 5.

Also, it was thought that as all 3 layouts in Heat 5 (the one broadcast first) were deemed to be more "conventional", there was less risk of the railway modelling fraternity (i.e. us) switching off immediately if we saw some of the more unconventional layouts in the first show and pre-judged the whole series.

I think it's also not uncommon to film episodes of programmes (whether it be something like this or a drama) out of order as it means that the first one is more polished and reduces the chances of people deciding not to watch any more having watched the first one made where people were still finding their feet.

• RMweb Gold

Three episodes in and I think there's now been enough shown to assess what I think of it.

I've never had any interest whatever in "competitive" modelling; I make/buy/combine things I like for my own enjoyment and if anyone else likes it, that's a bonus.

Having to do it all in three days will appeal to some, but would have me running a mile. I model for relaxation and projects are taken up or set aside as the mood takes me until they get to a point where a firm vision of the finished article displaces scheming out the next step from my thoughts. All a matter of temperament, just don't ask me to join in.....

So, do I like the GMRC? Much more than I expected, and I've been pleased to see that Tim Shaw has reined in his customary style somewhat.

Am I impressed with the results? Overall, yes, and the winning layouts have generally stood out in line with the judges' call, though I thought episode 3 was a close run thing.

Will I watch the rest of the series? Definitely, though probably not all of it live as I'm often doing other things when it's on.

There will no doubt be a few adjustments made to the format/rules if it goes to a second series, but I'm generally impressed.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

Regardless of whether they flouted the rules, it DID look like a really good model. Hopefully they will have finished it off.

I hope they won't be presenting the finished model as "our entry in the GMRC"

...R

• Administrators

I hope they won't be presenting the finished model as "our entry in the GMRC"

...R

Since it was their entry in the GMRC, I imagine they will. It will certainly be publicised as such. If they have done more work since the show, almost a certainty since none of the finished layouts were designed to be split up and moved, then this will be part of the display.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

"Santa's Globtrotting Holiday" will be at the Basingstoke exhibition next March, but it needs some refurbishment and repair work before then. We do not intend to make visible additions, but it has to be remembered the layouts were built for their 15 minutes of fame. There was no real provision made for splitting them up for transport, and a lot of the scenic material and ballast was not properly glued down, and ended up on the floor when the layout was moved. Towards the end of the build, I was just twisting wires together, and not soldering them.

When we have finished re-applying the scenic materials, it should look pretty much as it did for the judges, but will be more durable. Also, as we intend the layout to be operated by our younger visitors, the control system will also be made more robust, and simpler to operate.

• Like 9

Indeed.  They need at least 5 days to make a reasonable attempt with baseboards of that size.

WHEN WILL YOU ALL REALISE THE TV COMPANY SETS THE RULES AND YOU DO WHAT YOU CAN WITHIN THEM FOR A REALITY TV SHOW , NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS , END OF STORY.  IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT TURN OFF AND FOR GOODNESS SAKE STOP TRYING TO CHANGE EVERYTHING.

Garry

Edited by Golden Fleece 30

Me and the Team (The Railway Video Division), have been restoring our Heat Layout "Go Forth" (The WW1 Blackadder Layout) over the past few weeks.

As you can imagine, it sustained a bit of damage after filming, being broken up and transferred back to one of our garages, before being moved once again to Signals Model Shop, in Midsomer Norton, Somerset, where it is currently being stored and rebuilt (They only moved into there's new shop on the High Street the week before we moved it there). 

The plan is to have the layout on Public Display to Celebrate the 10th Anniversary of Signals Models Openning, on Saturday 3rd November - 10am to 4pm. Enter is free and there's going to be 10% off everything in store too!  :locomotive:

After that we don't exactly what to do with the layout. We would love to take the layout on the road to show, but sadly non of us have the space to store, or transport to move the layout. One option we are looking at is possibly selling the layout for charity. 

Until then, here's some pictures of the rebuild of the layout, and if you happen to be free on Saturday 3rd November, do pop over to Signals Models to come and say hi! 

post-20663-0-90726000-1540393802_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-63195500-1540393822_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-40889700-1540393848_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-69957600-1540393863_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-72676000-1540393892_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-73016900-1540393907_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-08504700-1540393920_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-60510200-1540393929_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

After that we don't exactly what to do with the layout. We would love to take the layout on the road to show, but sadly non of us have the space to store, or transport to move the layout. One option we are looking at is possibly selling the layout for charity. 

Selling it for charity sounds like a good idea. It would be a pity just to lose the layouts built for the show. Even if they're a bit too limited and a bit too rough and ready to put on display or go on the exhibition circuit, I suspect that quite a lot of people would be interested in owning one. And it might be a good basis for someone to take on as a project to hone it into something that is more robust and usable.

• Like 1

WHEN WILL YOU ALL REALISE THE TV COMPANY SETS THE RULES AND YOU DO WHAT YOU CAN WITHIN THEM FOR A REALITY TV SHOW , NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS , END OF STORY.  IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT TURN OFF AND FOR GOODNESS SAKE STOP TRYING TO CHANGE EVERYTHING.

GARRY

You missed a bit.

• Like 2

Golden Fleece Please don't shout.

Why not?  These people need to to get a camera crew, pay all the money up front, build what is required for starters THEN THEY CAN MAKE THEIR OWN RULES to satisfy themselves. This used to be a reasonable thread about the what happened in each show, now its just wanting MORE MONEY, MORE TIME, MORE PRE MADE ITEMS etc, etc, etc.

Garry

Edited by Golden Fleece 30

• Administrators

Why not?  These people need to to get a camera crew, pay all the money up front, build what is required for starters THEN THEY CAN MAKE THEIR OWN RULES to satisfy themselves. This used to be a reasonable thread about the what happened in each show, now its just wanting MORE MONEY, MORE TIME, MORE PRE MADE ITEMS etc, etc, etc.

Garry

And it was until your outburst. Your quote was a posting 20 days ago (5th October). "These people" have moved on and even if they hadn't, your use of capitals wouldn't convince them, quite the opposite in fact.