Bachmann Class 47

steveb860

Evening -

I'm a bit lost as to how/where the extra 'bits' suppled for the bogies are supposed to go - (the brake rigging bits shown earlier in this thread)

do they sit on top or underneath the bogie frame - also , how are they orientated - its hard to make sense of them ?

Its nice to have extra detailing parts , but sort of defeats the object when they are blobs of plastic - it would be nice to see a bit more finesse here i think - the bufferbeam pipes could be far better - the vac pipe is ok , but the rest look bad - . The ETH fitting is a nice little moulding though!

Im afraid the the bogies on the 47 are IMO awful (sorry) compared to aunty vis - theres lots of rough tooling marks , sink marks and the remains of the class 57 details visible , including holes plugged from the class 57 sandboxes , ragged edged , and a sort of mismatched look where one side had been retooled to remove the class 57 pipework, and it much crisper . Still , atleast its the livery and number i want - so no repaintingsmile.gif

tfn

'179

• Like 1

Just to emphasise this to ensure you (nse47) don't spoil your new model. Make sure you don't use so much glue that it splurges out of the sides of the nameplate when you press down. As with most things you glue on railway models, you do only need a miniscule amount.

I use double sided sellotape for diesel nameplates.

Stick them to the sticky side and cut round, peel off the backing and stick to the body side.

• RMweb Premium

in regards to the gaugemaster 47406 railriders i was told by them they had been told by Bachmann they set sail from china the last few days of october and guagemaster were hoping to take delivery of them around xmas, cant wait to get mine

Heard the same today. They are expecting them in stock within the next couple of weeks... The preproduction sample looks very impressive, and it looks like the the limited edition certificate is a copy of the old Railriders membership card. If that is the case, that's a nice touch...ah happy memories rolleyes.gif ...cannot wait to pick mine up...

That's assuming, of course, they have not been grabbed by a load of Somali Pirates on their journey here...tongue.gif

Heard the same today. They are expecting them in stock within the next couple of weeks... The preproduction sample looks very impressive, and it looks like the the limited edition certificate is a copy of the old Railriders membership card. If that is the case, that's a nice touch...ah happy memories rolleyes.gif ...cannot wait to pick mine up...

That's assuming, of course, they have not been grabbed by a load of Somali Pirates on their journey here...tongue.gif

Hi,

Where did you see the picture of the pre-production sample, Would love to see a pic of it. Looks like Bachmann Class 47's could be over-running my layout.

Gary in Tas

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Where did you see the picture of the pre-production sample, Would love to see a pic of it. Looks like Bachmann Class 47's could be over-running my layout.

Gary in Tas

It wasn't a picture; I was at Gaugemaster on Wednesday and saw the pre-production 'in the flesh'. It's situated in the display cabinets in the entrance lobby...

• RMweb Premium

Rails' 47541 does look good and I'm certainly intertested. But it is expensive (interestingly Gaugemaster's 47406 is around a tenner cheaper), so rather than buy 47541 now I'm going to wait until their 47461 with Scotrail blue stripe is available and then choose one.

Just received my Rails of Sheffield/Bachmann 47 541 "Queen Mother" today. Couple of pictures below. Very pleased with it, livery is very well applied with crisp logos and no bleeding. The lower bodyside creamy/brown colour for this livery is a better match to the real thing than that on Hornby models (if you're using my photos to look at this, the second one shows it better than the first, but my photography is pretty basic so don't rely on it!!).

Only real complaint I have again, as with the 4-CEP, is that getting the body off and back on again requires a wrestling match with the model!

post-5791-12609764558446_thumb.jpg

post-5791-12609764720177_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Received my 47 541 from Rails yesterday & very pleased with it overall. The model really captures my memories of seeing this loco around Waverley in the late 80's. Runs well straight from the box & even better after a little running in.

My only frustration is when I went to fit the excellent buffer beam pipes Bachmann have included with this loco - which incidentally are a vast improvement on those previously supplied by Bachmann. However, given the design of the snowploughs, which clip into the NEM socket so move with the bogie, the ploughs foul all the buffer beam piping.

For all it's faults, though i've always quite liked it, at least the Heljan 47 can be enhanced with the buffer beam gear and snowploughs... sadly not so with the new Bachmann!

From memory & from pics on the web, "TQM" was always fitted with mini ploughs as common with most Inverness allocated 47's and they are such a key charachteristic of these IV allocated locos. So it's a frustrating compromise... ploughs or air pipes!

you could always modify a set of Heljan ones and fit them like people do with the Heljan snowploughs on the Bachmann class 37

That's a good idea & certainly one worth exploring EE. I did think about trying to attach the Bachmann ploughs to the chassis rather than the bogie but got a bit nervous about hacking into a brand new model so quickly. There's very little clearance between the NEM box & the buffer beam so it could mean some significant surgery.

On a bit of a tangent, but i've just done a similar thing with a couple of Sprinters; mounting the Bachmann snow ploughs from a 150/1 onto the Hornby 153 - in my opinion looks much better than the Hornby ploughs mounted on the coupling arm.

Will have to dig out some Heljan ploughs & see how easily they could be adapted... isn't it handy Heljan put at least 2 sets of ploughs into every box!!