Bachmann Class 47

steveb860

Someone was asking for photos of 47572 Ltd Ed from Hornby Magazine - attached:

Not sure that my camera skills do it justice. The weathering finish is not bad and slightly reminiscent of the 37025 weathered version for anyone that has that one - I wish they had given the roof a more liberal dusting rather than the exhaust only look...

post-7995-126799247163_thumb.jpg

post-7995-126799256672_thumb.jpg

post-7995-12679925297_thumb.jpg

Someone was asking for photos of 47572 Ltd Ed from Hornby Magazine - attached:

Not sure that my camera skills do it justice. The weathering finish is not bad and slightly reminiscent of the 37025 weathered version for anyone that has that one - I wish they had given the roof a more liberal dusting rather than the exhaust only look...

post-7995-126799247163_thumb.jpg

post-7995-126799256672_thumb.jpg

post-7995-12679925297_thumb.jpg

Cheers for posting the pics ! Looks very good, apart from as you say the roof weathering. Making it less prominent, an overall dusting, with a bit heavier around the exhaust port would have looked much better. Why do they use a "pure" Black, when a dirty dark grey, will always looks more convincing ;)

K

I have ordered an IC version to run with Mk3's/2's.

Does the new refurbished model overcome the wobbliness of the 57's and early 47?

N

>> No wobbles ! now as stable as any other Bach loco. Latest version also runs very quietly and smoothly straight out of the box. :)

K

Just received 47535 and 47612, and very nice models they are. Unfortunately both had broken bogie frames, the brake gears had snapped off. This means that three out of the four Class 47:s that I've taken delivery of in the last month have been damaged. The packaging showed no sign of malhandling during shipping, so that would indicate that the frames were broken during packaging at the factory. I have written a nice e-mail to Bachmann to let them know. Hopefully I can purchase spare bogie frames from them, I don't think it would be worth the hassle to send them back to the retailer. It would be nice to have whole locos though.

Sorry for being such a downer, I'll try to post someting more cheerful in the future!

When you say the brake gears had snapped off, do you mean the separate moulded part that glues inside the bogie sideframe? In my experience one pings off the first time you tackle any work on any given bogie, fortunately it's a very simple job to glue them back onto their locating dimples.

I also bought the two new Bachmann 47's and same as Martin E, one set of brake gear lying in the packaging when the loco removed from the box, easily fixable but a bit annoying when it seems to be more than a one off.

As requested above, here are a couple of line-up pictures of my four new Bachmann Class 47s to allow a comparison of liveries. I think Bachmann have done a good job of capturing the colours.

I have also included some pictures of comparisons with similar liveries on locos from other companies. The Hornby GW150 Class 50 compares well with the Bachmann GW150 Class 47. The HST InterCity livery and the Heljan RES livery are quite different from the Bachmann equivalents. Of course, it's InterCity Executive vs Swallow and RES vs Parcels, but I assume the main colours of comparison (creamy/brown on IC and red on RES/Parcels) were the same???

post-5791-126815347809_thumb.jpg

post-5791-12681534871_thumb.jpg

post-5791-126815349691_thumb.jpg

post-5791-126815351476_thumb.jpg

post-5791-126815352621_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

When you say the brake gears had snapped off, do you mean the separate moulded part that glues inside the bogie sideframe? In my experience one pings off the first time you tackle any work on any given bogie, fortunately it's a very simple job to glue them back onto their locating dimples.

We seem to be talking about the same thing. And I think I'll follow your lead and just glue the stuff back together again. A little DIY never hurt anyone, right? (Famous last words!)

Nice pictures there, Summer_Saturday!

if i remember correctly the rails 47145 is on hold until the correct body moulding is available

Bit of info on the above: Word on the street is: Apparently the bodies had already been produced, before it was noticed that to be accurate for R/F General Livery - the roof boiler port should have been OPEN - as built. That body version is not available at present. Speculation has it, that the resulting surplus bodies (with plated boiler ports) went onto become 47 975 in Dutch livery ? The plated over boiler port body however is suitable AFAIN for 47 145 in R/F Distribution livery, and hence that's how it will probably appear. Perhaps it would have been better to wait until the correct original open boiler port body was available, the R/F General version would then have been possible, and probably more sought after, as Lima & Heljan have both previously done 47 145 in R/F Dist.

K

As requested above, here are a couple of line-up pictures of my four new Bachmann Class 47s to allow a comparison of liveries. I think Bachmann have done a good job of capturing the colours.

I have also included some pictures of comparisons with similar liveries on locos from other companies. The Hornby GW150 Class 50 compares well with the Bachmann GW150 Class 47. The HST InterCity livery and the Heljan RES livery are quite different from the Bachmann equivalents. Of course, it's InterCity Executive vs Swallow and RES vs Parcels, but I assume the main colours of comparison (creamy/brown on IC and red on RES/Parcels) were the same???

Nice collection of "Duffs" :rolleyes: As far as the main body colours go; Inter-City Exec used "Exec Dark Grey" on upper bodysides and roof - Swallow livery uses a darker "Falcon Grey" shade for these areas. Parcels v RES : Parcels livery: PO/RES Red lower body - Upper bodysides and roof - Exec Dark Grey. RES same Red but upper bodyside/a part of the flash and roof - RES Grey. It would appear ? Bach have used RES Grey on the roof of 47 474, when ideally it should have been Exec Dark Grey, as per HJ's Parcel Livery 47.

HTH

K

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Summer_Saturday. Overall I'm impressed with the decoration on these Bachmann 47s. So far, of the current batch I only have the Rails L/E 47461 and am very pleased with that. I'm um-ing and ah-ing about 47535, but like others would probably want to renumber it so would prefer non-flush front for both cabs to give plenty of choice. I was present for 47535's naming ceremony at Leicester station (it was pouring with rain if I remember well) and somewhere have a photo I took. I know they were later, but I don't remember noticing at the time that the 5s were a different size.

I might stick my neck out and suggest that the LE weathered version doesn't float my boat.

The weathering appears rather grainy (as sometimes occurs with Bachmann dirt) and emphasises some coarseness of the chassis detail/frames. There are 'bold' spots on the wheels where they have been masked by the frames,and curiously the roof weathering looks, err... like someone has sprayed a line of black paint down the roof?

Perhaps the lighting on these images is a little cruel, but I am sure that Bachmann have made better attempts at weathering, notably the recent end of steam editions, or the more recent weathered blue 25.

This might be a base for more comprehensive weathering, but personally I would rather start with a clean palette.

N

• 2 weeks later...

Bachmann's 47835 "Windsor Castle" in Swallow livery now available for ordering on their website:

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/class47/index.php?id=4

I shall have a look at Ally Pally tomorrow to check they have got the white colour correct on the lower part of the body, as this had been painted grey/brown on the display model at Warley.

I too looked for this loco at Ally Pally but didnt see it, was it there? Can anyone confirm the livery is wrong on the production examples. I was going to ask but the team were busy and forgot to go back!! I was hoping the Warley one was pre-production and somehow this masive error would have been rectified in time? The livery seems to look on the webite photo though?

PS For the benefit of those that may not be aware the lowest band of white on the display loco was not white a warley but the kind of buff colour as worn non-swallow IC locos.

I too looked for this loco at Ally Pally but didnt see it, was it there? Can anyone confirm the livery is wrong on the production examples. I was going to ask but the team were busy and forgot to go back!! I was hoping the Warley one was pre-production and somehow this masive error would have been rectified in time? The livery seems to look on the webite photo though?

PS For the benefit of those that may not be aware the lowest band of white on the display loco was not white a warley but the kind of buff colour as worn non-swallow IC locos.

The livery is correct on the production model. There are pictures of it in this thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/3962-modelzone-dutch-and-intercity-Bachmann-47s/page__st__50

• Like 1

Out of interest those that have bought the most recent batch of 47's, is there any difference in running characteristics compared to the older Bachmann 47's/57's? Do the loco's run any slower on the new batch? One thing I have noticed about ViTrains 47s is the relative low top speed, well below the 95mph max of the prototype, i think I calculated 65mph or there abouts. The older Bachmann 47/57's ran with a much more realistic max speed.

Thanks again for any help

• RMweb Premium

The top speed is a factor of your own power supply and control arrangements as much as it is the locomotive gearing. While the average Heljan loco draws higher current than the typical Bachmann and as a result has a potentially lower top speed for the same input I find that all brands are capable of reaching realistic maxima if the power input is adjusted to suit them.

The top speed is a factor of your own power supply and control arrangements as much as it is the locomotive gearing. While the average Heljan loco draws higher current than the typical Bachmann and as a result has a potentially lower top speed for the same input I find that all brands are capable of reaching realistic maxima if the power input is adjusted to suit them.

Loco gearing surely has to be the biggest single variable. Of course if you run a speed test with multi locos on same controller/track setup the variable that changes is the loco. My Bachmann 57 runs at or abouts 90mph, hence my original question. Of all my 50+ locos most run upto (and a fair few waaaaaaaay beyond) the prototypical max!. ViTrains 47's is my biggest exception in my view.

Most people run smaller slow speed layouts its seems so never a big factor for majority I guess, most concerned about slow speed performance.

If anyone can answer original question would be most grateful :)