Bachmann Class 47

steveb860

Guest Max Stafford

Mine also arrived today. It's fully intact and looks very good indeed. I saw this loco once or twice at Queen Street and Eastfield. The model certainly looks as I remember.

Dave.

Thanks for the tip - will now look closely at my 461 when it arrives for any damage. Perhaps you've not noticed, but as for changing a 461 into 47705, although the shell has the correct flush No1 end etc, the roof boiler port being correct for 461, is wrong for 47705 ! but it depends how fussy you want to be ?

It might well end up as 707 yet but as you say the boiler port is wrong both for 705 and 707. I could sand down the boiler port and replace with a etched product or plasticard as I have with one of my cheap 47035's but at ??89 I am reluctant to attack the bodyshell. There is also an issue with the Scotrail branding on 1 side but I think I can live with that, I think 707 has slightly lower branding anyway. If anyone is interested I will post a picture on here when my shove is finished.

I am going to the Donny model railway exhibition on Saturday and then take my damaged 461 back to Rails. If i opt for a refund I may look at the 47573 model at Modelzone on my way back, if only I had more willpower!

Guest Max Stafford

I could use a 'shoveduff', so perhaps I'll order another sometime. Will need to add the 'plumber's delight' on one side, but maybe I can poach that from Bachmann's 57 as a spare. Anybody got the part number?.

Dave.

Just to add to what's already been noted, my 47461 arrived this morning and there was no sign of damage to the outer packaging. Rails had done a decent job of packing the loco in both bubble wrap and then layers of corrugated paper/card with plenty of parcel tape but upon opening I discovered the exterior of the loco box, still wrapped in its white tissue paper, had sustained a hefty bump to one end although fortunately there was no damage to any of the contents within. It certainly appears to me that the box must have been damaged prior to packing and posting. Had I purchased as an 'investment' it would be on its way back to Rails but as it's for use on a layout I can put up with a damaged box. Rails have been notified.

On a brighter note - what a really nice looking locomotive!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just to add to what's already been noted, my 47461 arrived this morning and there was no sign of damage to the outer packaging. Rails had done a decent job of packing the loco in both bubble wrap and then layers of corrugated paper/card with plenty of parcel tape but upon opening I discovered the exterior of the loco box, still wrapped in its white tissue paper, had sustained a hefty bump to one end although fortunately there was no damage to any of the contents within. It certainly appears to me that the box must have been damaged prior to packing and posting. Had I purchased as an 'investment' it would be on its way back to Rails but as it's for use on a layout I can put up with a damaged box. Rails have been notified.

On a brighter note - what a really nice looking locomotive!

I fully agree. Mine arrived while RMWeb was off-line and I've now run it both in daylight and the dark on DCC. Excellent smooth running with a Bachmann 21pin decoder (fitted by Rails for me :) ) and the lights look about right - not too bright. My model was well packed and no sign of prior damage on the Bachmann box, so perhaps just a few boxes were damaged. I ordered mine the week it was delivered to Rails and my certificate was number 380/512. The certificate was separate so if they are using the certificates in order, it must be selling well and deservedly so.

Now please can Bachmann upgrade the body used for the first batch of Class 47s (2T Green and BR Blue) to the same standards.

I've now added 47406 to my 'fleet' and again, it's another excellent locomotive. My only gripe, and it appears it's one that can be levelled at almost all new releases of late, is the difficulty trying to remove the bodies. The 47 has two screws either side of each bogie and a central one right at each end of the loco making six in total. The 2 end ones are very difficult to undo being right in the vicinity of the leading edge of the bogie and even more of a pain to replace. The ones by the side of each bogie are okay but then, just to be sure the body isn't going to become dislodged, there are four bodyside clips, one beneath each cab door which are the devil to prise apart. I wonder just how much unnecessary damage is being caused to these 'new' loco's simply through the owner trying to remove the body in order to fit a DCC chip? I managed to dislodge one of the bodyside clips entirely and it fell to the floor but luckily, being an integral part of the door window glazing, it simply slotted back in again. In the end I kept the damage down to just one dislodged wire which must be for the cab lighting as everything else seems to work okay. It's getting to the point where I'm beginning to wonder if DCC is a good thing or not but there again, shouldn't there be easier access for simple maintenance tasks?

Hi all,

My model of 47406 arrived in quick time from Guagemster, The cost was good as they knocked the Vat of resulting in the engine costing less than if I was in the UK with postage included.

It's a superb model, I have put a chip in it but going to upgrade to sound chip at first available chance.

Need to get some work done on the layout now.

Gary in Tas

I've now added 47406 to my 'fleet' and again, it's another excellent locomotive. My only gripe, and it appears it's one that can be levelled at almost all new releases of late, is the difficulty trying to remove the bodies. The 47 has two screws either side of each bogie and a central one right at each end of the loco making six in total. The 2 end ones are very difficult to undo being right in the vicinity of the leading edge of the bogie and even more of a pain to replace. The ones by the side of each bogie are okay but then, just to be sure the body isn't going to become dislodged, there are four bodyside clips, one beneath each cab door which are the devil to prise apart. I wonder just how much unnecessary damage is being caused to these 'new' loco's simply through the owner trying to remove the body in order to fit a DCC chip? I managed to dislodge one of the bodyside clips entirely and it fell to the floor but luckily, being an integral part of the door window glazing, it simply slotted back in again. In the end I kept the damage down to just one dislodged wire which must be for the cab lighting as everything else seems to work okay. It's getting to the point where I'm beginning to wonder if DCC is a good thing or not but there again, shouldn't there be easier access for simple maintenance tasks?

The bodies are a pain to remove but not as bad as the Heljan's I used to have, one of the reasons why I sold them all. Of the Bachmann bodies I have removed I always break off the 4 black clips that are part of the chassis (just fold them out and they snap off)as they are not needed as the screws are perfectly fine at keeping the body secured, this makes any further body removal a breeze. Another tip at replacing the silver screws is to use a pair of small pliers which have a curved end and you can almost place the screws in.

Cheers

Dave

My Large Logo blue Bachmann Class 47 arrived today; some pictures of it below with details fitted. This is a favourite livery of mine and they have captured it well, particularly the colour of the blue. The number 3 is smaller than the 5s, as per the prototype. Both cab ends are flush, again as per prototype.

The body came off very easily on this one; perhaps I am getting well practiced at removing them!

post-5791-126722945265_thumb.jpg

post-5791-12672294697_thumb.jpg

post-5791-126722947849_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The number 3 is smaller than the 5s, as per the prototype. Both cab ends are flush, again as per prototype.

Which is good news - and to be more precise the 5s are correctly bigger than the 4,7 and 3, rather than the 3 smaller than all the rest as on Bachmann's pre-production photos.

If you get a chance and have track space Summer_Saturday, a photo line up of all your new Bachmann 47s would be very useful to compare colours etc. under the same lighting conditions.

How many ltd ed 47s are out there just now? I found one I didn't know about at the weekend (and purchased instantly) - does anyone have the definitive list? That I know of:

Std releases: I/C 47614 Titan, LL 47535 Uni of Leicester, Parcels 47474 Sir Rowland Hill

Ltd Eds:

47461 Scotrail Blue Stripe (Rails)

47541 Scotrail Red stripe (Rails)

47145 Merrdyn Emrys (Rails to come in future)

47406 Intercity railriders (Gaugemaster)

47572 Large log Ely Cathedral weathered (Hornby Mag)

47xxx GW150 (Kernow)

47975 Dutch (Bachmann Direct)

47835 Intercity Swallow (Bachmann Direct to come in future)

47xxx NSE (Modelzone)

Interestingly no freight ones at all or late life BR Blue ones (2010/11 releases from Bach anyone??)

Anyone add to the list above???

M

How many ltd ed 47s are out there just now? I found one I didn't know about at the weekend (and purchased instantly) -does anyone have the definitive list?

Hi, there is a list of limited editions on RMWeb here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/2139-list-00n-limited-editions/

If any of yours don't appear, please could you have them added to the list as it is a useful reference. What's this about 47 572 from Hornby Magazine? Not one I've heard about; is it still available do you know?

If you get a chance and have track space Summer_Saturday, a photo line up of all your new Bachmann 47s would be very useful to compare colours etc. under the same lighting conditions.

I had planned to do some comparison shots of all the Bachmann 47s, so watch this space! (can't promise studio photography levels though . . .).

In the meantime, you may be interested in the comparison shots here between the Heljan, Bachmann and ViTrains 47s (good review of the Bachmann one too):

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/5246-new-Bachmann-class-47-review-and-comparison-with-vitrains/

• Like 1

47572 Ely Cathedral was the one that took me by surprise too. Was displayed on HM's stand at the Glasgow show at the weekend. They had two on display and I bought the one that was still in its box - the lady commented that the other one was the last one but I was not sure if she meant with them or totally the last one. During our brief discussion she revealed that it had taken them by surprise as usually when you commission a ltd ed it takes ages to flow through but this one had turned up very quick. Don't know if this means they haven't advertised as haven't bought a copy of HM recently. Priced at £89.95 I think in line with most of the other ltd eds. Weathering is a little better than the norm Bach factory jobs but not as good as a "good weatherer" (not me) would achieve! Will post photo at the weekend (livery is std large logo except no black window surrounds, body has no flush ends with two different ends like most Bach releases to date).

M

47572 Ely Cathedral was the one that took me by surprise too. Was displayed on HM's stand at the Glasgow show at the weekend. They had two on display and I bought the one that was still in its box - the lady commented that the other one was the last one but I was not sure if she meant with them or totally the last one. During our brief discussion she revealed that it had taken them by surprise as usually when you commission a ltd ed it takes ages to flow through but this one had turned up very quick. Don't know if this means they haven't advertised as haven't bought a copy of HM recently. Priced at £89.95 I think in line with most of the other ltd eds. Weathering is a little better than the norm Bach factory jobs but not as good as a "good weatherer" (not me) would achieve! Will post photo at the weekend (livery is std large logo except no black window surrounds, body has no flush ends with two different ends like most Bach releases to date).

M

This appears to be in the Ian Allan Collectors' Limited Edition Series. Priority order forms are being posted to people who bought the last one. The locos won't be sent out until these people have had the opportunity to reply. End of March.

Merddin Emrys now on Rails website as imminent arrival

Reading the description on the Rails site and looking at the prototype pictures they have provided, this livery seems to date from just after the start of privatisation.

It still carried the general user livery in May 1994:

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v2.php?img=1151051087211

It was displayed at the Crewe Open Day in October 1994 (was it repainted for this?) in the livery Rails have requested:

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v2.php?img=1151051080211

How many ltd ed 47s are out there just now? I found one I didn't know about at the weekend (and purchased instantly) - does anyone have the definitive list? That I know of:

Std releases: I/C 47614 Titan, LL 47535 Uni of Leicester, Parcels 47474 Sir Rowland Hill

Ltd Eds:

47xxx GW150 (Kernow)

47xxx NSE (Modelzone)

Interestingly no freight ones at all or late life BR Blue ones (2010/11 releases from Bach anyone??)

M

Add 47 408 BR Blue (Finsbury Park) via (the DPS) celebrating the 50th Anniv of Finsbury Park Depot opening - 8/9 May 2010

Reading the description on the Rails site and looking at the prototype pictures they have provided, this livery seems to date from just after the start of privatisation.

It still carried the general user livery in May 1994:

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v2.php?img=1151051087211

It was displayed at the Crewe Open Day in October 1994 (was it repainted for this?) in the livery Rails have requested:

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v2.php?img=1151051080211

According to Rails - they changed the livery to R/F Dist due to customer feedback ? As both Lima and Heljan have already produced this loco in the R/F Distribution version, I would have thought the rarer R/F General version would have been more popular ? Very few locos ever carried R/F General brandings in traffic, 50 149, 47 145 and 37 104 - being one of only two 37's. 37 403 briefly carried a "mock-up" only version for a R/F Calendar. Still that's another one to cross off the "wanted list" :)

K

According to Rails - they changed the livery to R/F Dist due to customer feedback ? As both Lima and Heljan have already produced this loco in the R/F Distribution version, I would have thought the rarer R/F General version would have been more popular ? Very few locos ever carried R/F General brandings in traffic, 50 149, 47 145 and 37 104 - being one of only two 37's. 37 403 briefly carried a "mock-up" only version for a R/F Calendar. Still that's another one to cross off the "wanted list" :)

K

Yes, I would have got one of these in the General livery; as you say, it has the rarity value.

Ltd Eds:

47xxx GW150 (Kernow)

47xxx NSE (Modelzone)

M

Might have missed it above but Modelzone did 47163 in Stratford's rather fine large Union Jack livery - BASINGSTOKE Modelzone still have at least one in stock cos I bought one there last Thurs along with the NSE 47573 - what an extravagence (did me 10% off though) with the Class 15 / Kernow slurries on the horizon