Mozzer's new work bench 4mm That Welsh Brake Van building A AA/24

A neat job on an awkward, but highly satisfying, kit Brian. Cambrian sell a sprue of various brake wheels, one of which is a decent match and far better than using the etched job supplied with the kit.

Paul - I believe it to be an ICI rather than a Summers wagon, check the body dimensions against a drawing, and the body length against the chassis.

My latest build can be seen here.

Hi Paul, thanks for the reply. Hmmm interesting how it is marketed as a Summers wagon when it actually builds up into an ICI one??

As far as I was aware and trying to recall what Warren Shepherd did with the original artwork I understood that he had just reduced his 7mm artwork down to make the two test etches that he gave me one in 10thou brass the second in 15thou I think. Not sure where the error of the base of the body came into being.

So as the kit appears to be an ICI one then the vertical end ladders can be omitted as the original ICI wagons bar one only ever had angled ladders fitted. I have a list of wagons known to have been fitted with angled ladders somewhere.

Cheers Paul

Paul - note the ladder in Brian's photo above. On a Summers wagon the bottom of the ladder should sit on the edge of the crossbrace (bogie support), close to the angled tray. On the Roxey kit it sits further out on the triangular gusset, as above, which points to the body being overlength for a Summers wagon. When I noticed this on my first build I did a bit of measuring which confirmed by belief that the kit is pure ICI, not Summers!

Apologies to Brian for the thread hijack!

• 3 months later...

slowly over the last year I have been building 2 twin set one a Horncastle branch set & a Essendine branch set

Horncastle etch

16848222675_0f42d64e9c_c.jpgHorncastle by Mozzer models, on Flickr

Essendine etch

16640918257_ab1cd96f12_c.jpgEssendine by Mozzer models, on Flickr

Having built up the etches I now have to hand make the roofs as non of the kit roofs available are of the right profile

so cutting some balsawood to size

17029025492_dd895c7463_c.jpg100_7930 by Mozzer models, on Flickr

then shaping ruffle

16823057867_a80719a0c5_c.jpg100_7931 by Mozzer models, on Flickr

16823056387_806058d017_c.jpg100_7932 by Mozzer models, on Flickr

Next I gave the roof a coat of Halfords filler primmer then sanded

next I gave the roofs a light coat of gray primmer followed with more filler primmer & once after 24hours of drying I sand back to the gray

16408039954_bbc0d42c10_c.jpg100_7937 by Mozzer models, on Flickr

which I am repeating until I am happy & have a smoothed flat roof

• Like 3

As far as I recollect the Horncastle twin set didn't venture very far at all, and was scrapped when the passenger service ended.

The others were a bit nomadic, one scrapped circa 37 after a prang and I'm sure I did once see a reference that one of the ex railmoter twins was seen for short while in the Scottish Borders.

Were the Essendine and Horncastle twins run as a part of a longer rake of coaches or just as the twinned pair with loco auto train style?

I have most of the books on LNER coaching stock and have never come across these two pairs of coaches and service, could you point me in the direction of any published material with details of these coaches and method of operating.

Thanks,

SteveT

the Horncastle set is at Horncastle with a very grubby ex-LNER 0-6-0 tender loco 4286 along side the platform around 1950

http://www.nrm.org.uk/ourcollection/photo?group=Liverpool%20Street&objid=1995-7233_LIVST_DP_1416

I also have photos but do not know the copyright to them

1 again at Horncastle but no loco along side the platform

& 1 of the Essendine set at Essendine with out loco along side the platform

G'day Gents

If I remember correctly, the Horncastle twinset was made from the old GN steam railmotors, not sure on the Essendine set, but it looks the same.

manna

You are entirely correct, Manna. I was talking to Brian at York yesterday and asked him the selfsame question.

They do look very nice, I have to say.

on the drawings I have it says

the Horncastle set were built from railcars No's 1&2

& the Essendine set were built from railcars No's 7&8

Good morning all

Interesting pic of the N5 with extended tanks, 9311 (ex-5771). 

I think it was stabled at Lincoln post war.

Earlswood nob

69311 20/5/45-4/2/52        wdn(Lincoln)4/2/52
Used on the Horncastle branch and local pick-up work, plus Holmes Yard shunter.

Bit strange when I may be able to offer something regarding my local station that is relevant to the twin set that is being built. A book on the village left in the house my family moved into a number of years ago. I have to concur Utterby Halt is less than adjacent to the village. The house and signal post survive on Pear Tree Lane Another example of the low platform can be seen at Ludborough Station. Apologies for the dreadful images but scanner was having a bad day, but they are interesting for the image of No 2 as origionally built and also showing the direction the railmotors faced running between Grimsby and Louth

post-16796-77708_thumb.jpg

post-16796-0-03689900-1428509089.jpg

Edited by DOCJACOB
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A pity none were preserved

Looks like the Horncastle set survived long enough to be painted in BR red livery, if that's horizontal lining running through the 'waist' panel?

Looks like the Horncastle set survived long enough to be painted in BR red livery, if that's horizontal lining running through the 'waist' panel?

Quite probably-it was not withdrawn until 1959

What a remarkable and interesting set of photos.

The N5 with extended tanks was a 'one off' originally intended to run between Chester and Shotton on passenger trains as there was no water available at Shotton. It very soon got shifted onto goods work and I had no idea that it ended up in Lincolnshire and on passenger work.

Someone elsewhere was asking about modelling the late era of the LNER, and this thread demonstrates the complexity of doing so. It was so individual (depending on area) and so much of the stuff was pre-group. As in this case, not infrequently unique. The carriages are simply wonderful. Absolutely full of character.

What a remarkable and interesting set of photos.

The N5 with extended tanks was a 'one off' originally intended to run between Chester and Shotton on passenger trains as there was no water available at Shotton. It very soon got shifted onto goods work and I had no idea that it ended up in Lincolnshire and on passenger work.

Someone elsewhere was asking about modelling the late era of the LNER, and this thread demonstrates the complexity of doing so. It was so individual (depending on area) and so much of the stuff was pre-group. As in this case, not infrequently unique. The carriages are simply wonderful. Absolutely full of character.

The SR is the same. Lots of lovely pregroup stuff.