Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

I don't want to throw a bucket of cold water on those members wearing gaberdine rain coats and bottle lensed' Cosmo Smallpiece' spectacles not to mention sawn off trouser bottoms which ended just above the knee and a packet of sweets and I'm sure they own some very nice puppies just around the corner. BUT.

All this talk of Hot Pants at Peterborough North in 1958!

Those delightful items did not appear until 1971-72 too late for your period and thankfully they had fallen from fashion before it became mandatory to own an A---se and thighs the size of a small country, we owe so much to the Good 'ol US of A and the sign of the big yellow M.

While I'm in Grumpy Old G--T mode the Railway Coppers of the period are more likely to focus their attention on women sporting tattoos since they must have just come out of or escaped from prison or be 'on the game.'

Stick to Airfix / Dapol RAF service figures and squaddies on National Service.

Spoil-Sport of Ancaster

Buried somewhere back in the thread Dave is a post I put on about some figures I bought at Spalding show in 2011, in which I mentioned that most of them were far too modern for 1958. I gave the girl in hot pants as an example, and for some reason I can't fathom she seemed to cause a lot of interest. :mosking:  She will not however be appearing either on the layout or in person on here.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Gordon

What make and size of ballast have you used please, I want some for an 0.16.5 layout. But I have found that 00 is too coarse and N too fine. And most of all the colour looks just what I want. 

Hi John,

All track and ballasting on the scenic side was done by Norman Saunders of Just Tracks, so I'm afraid I can't help you on that. Perhaps you could ask Norman?

Hi Gilbert, I knew what I wanted but it took over half an hours scrolling through Peterborough pages looking for two pictures taken from the same viewpoint containing an A4 and an A2/3. I take your point about nothing being believable any longer. Editor Murray Brown said the same after I sent him an image about 11 years ago of a Class 66 climbing through Llandulas with ballast empties and being passed by an original 'Warship' hydraulic!

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, why do all your 'going away' shots look so good? In 'real steam' days, if I took a pic 'going away', the loco always looked out of 'perspective so to speak. Was it the lenses on those old cameras do you think?

Re. the hot pants mystery (and I really will leave this alone now honest). I have to reassure you that hot shorts were very much the thing for some young women in 1958. I have very vivid memories of witnessing such clothing as two young women passed me as I was spotting in the back lane on the east side of Plymouth North Road (yes I said spotting.....). If you refer to the long gone TV comedy (?) Hi de Hi you will see or maybe even remember that the Yellowcoat girls often wore very short shorts! So Gilbert, we expect to see a slightly modified 4mm figure as this is authentic and don't let Tetleys put you off :maninlove:

Let's face it, we must have something on the platforms for the loco crews to stare at and pose for mustn't we. :crazy:

P @ 36E

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gibert,

The BG in the scotsman, was that one with deeper solebars?

David

It was one of three, E10-12 with covered solebars, David, though TW tells me it is very unlikely that one of them would have been in the Scotsman formation during the Summer timetable. :cry: The road to perfection is a hard and rocky one, and I suspect that it has no end.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, why do all your 'going away' shots look so good? In 'real steam' days, if I took a pic 'going away', the loco always looked out of 'perspective so to speak. Was it the lenses on those old cameras do you think?

Re. the hot pants mystery (and I really will leave this alone now honest). I have to reassure you that hot shorts were very much the thing for some young women in 1958. I have very vivid memories of witnessing such clothing as two young women passed me as I was spotting in the back lane on the east side of Plymouth North Road (yes I said spotting.....). If you refer to the long gone TV comedy (?) Hi de Hi you will see or maybe even remember that the Yellowcoat girls often wore very short shorts! So Gilbert, we expect to see a slightly modified 4mm figure as this is authentic and don't let Tetleys put you off :maninlove:

Let's face it, we must have something on the platforms for the loco crews to stare at and pose for mustn't we. :crazy:

P @ 36E

As to the going away shots Phil, I really don't know. It is probably just a fluke, as are many of the effects which I somehow manage to get. Mind you, I well remember getting a photo of 60066 leaving Grantham on an Up train in '61 or'62, and being very proud of it, so perhaps I just have a knack for getting it right. I'd love to post that photo of 60066, but while I was away at Law school my mother decided I had "grown out of" trains, and binned everything - notebooks, photos, negatives, Trains Illustrateds, the lot. :ireful:

No scantily dressed young ladies will appear. Remember this is supposed to be August, so it would be far too cold for that sort of thing. And I don't want to get involved in Operation whatever it is. :no:

• Like 1

Gilbert I have been having a conversation with my other half about hot pants and she thinks they were early sixties,she said that she never wore them and that maxi skirts were in fashion then.Like the latest photos ,will you be running a B17 on a visiting ER working?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert I have been having a conversation with my other half about hot pants and she thinks they were early sixties,she said that she never wore them and that maxi skirts were in fashion then.Like the latest photos ,will you be running a B17 on a visiting ER working?

One of the main reasons I chose Peterborough North to model was that I could justify B17's. Not as many as at Peterborough East, but you can't have everything. So, yes there are enough trains from March/Cambridge/Norwich/Harwich to employ a few, plus a working down the GN/GE joint from Doncaster. I may even find an excuse for a few more, but only when Andy Rush is not watching.

• RMweb Premium

Oh blast, no hot anythings except boxes perhaps?

Love the high view B1 shot and as Tom says, wow for the first one - just brilliant.

Oh yes, Cleethorpes is similar to Siberia I'm told but Jeff will confirm I'm sure. So you have got an exotic express and a lovely loco to haul it.

Chelsea Tractor; sounds like a certain mid-field thug that they have on the books...........

Now then Gilbert, who would you like to make the litter & detritus (what a great word) for your station track area? :tomato:

Finally, what a tragedy about your railway related goods, a real loss of such vital info.......... :rtfm:

Exiting remark: I cleared the snow from the car park at work this afternoon leaving a lovely, shiny and wet surface. So tomorrow morning I can watch the skating showfrom the safety of the Boiler House as folk arrive in their usual 'first thing stupor'; more crunching and tinkling with a bit of luck. Shortly afterwards I shall appear with my gritting device (shovel and industrial strength gloved hand) smiling and mentioning that "you are a bit early today, It's quite slippery isn't it?" :threaten:

Bye, P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Hey Gilbert, Vague Silhouettes - great name for a band. I shall go out now and recruit a bass player; you are OK for drums aren't you? Andy can fill in on keyboards and Tom can join us on strings for Beatles covers. Volunteers for singer and gob organ anyone?

Anyhow, that's a damn good repro pic of the original though. That blue beast must have caused a bit of a stir when it first appeared at PN. I saw it once at the Cross; 1960 I think?

The B1 in the snow;brilliant. I think the buffer beam and buffers might have had a bit of ice stuff on them and the tender axle-box covers. There would have been plenty of steam too, including some leaking from the 'bags'! Coach, you have permission to continue............. Gilbert won't mind. :laugh:

Quack.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought I had worked out the very eccentric signalling arrangements at PN, but while running a train into platform 6 a while ago I became confused once more. Can any signalling experts out there please help solve this? I don't have signal box diagrams at the moment I'm afraid. OK, we have a train running in to platform 6, where it will stop. It has come up from East station, and the last signal controlling it will have been the other side of Crescent Bridge. This is the next signal it comes to.

post-98-0-17631000-1358339972_thumb.jpg

It is a peculiar arrangement. Platform 6 could be used for trains in both directions, so the low slung one on the left is clearly the Up starter. The only other arm on the same post though is a Distant. The Home signal on the other post will be for the Up slow, and the Distant for the Down slow. Next shot shows what happens after the train passes this signal.

post-98-0-60586100-1358340373_thumb.jpg

There are no other signals until well after the end of the platform.

post-98-0-28492000-1358340471_thumb.jpg

The relevant signal here is the one on the extreme left. We have a Home, which is the starter for Down trains I presume, and the other two arms will control access to New England yard, which is how all the other brackets at this end seem to work. So, nothing to stop a train at the platform, and I don't really understand the Distant at the entry to the platform in those circumstances. I'm missing something, but what? Oh, in case of complaints, I've done a shot of the train as well. It will be off to Leicester shortly.

post-98-0-12666800-1358340901_thumb.jpg

• Like 17