Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Fair Meadow - Peterborough? Ummmm, not sure about that one.........

Have to say I rather like the new shot from the 'dock'. Makes a change for G to be 'in the dock' (of the bay). :sarcastichand:

I also rather like the vans sitting in the background and that S box really does 'fit' beyond that bridge; lovely.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Pylons existed in that area, don't forget the power station, there is still a sub-station opposite Fair meadow car park today.

Stewart

Thanks Stuart, and others who pointed out that pylons have been around for a long time. A spectacular senior moment even by my standards, particularly when that monstrosity of a power station was no more than a half mile down the line.

• RMweb Premium

Have to say I rather like the new shot from the 'dock'. Makes a change for G to be 'in the dock' (of the bay). :sarcastichand:

I also rather like the vans sitting in the background and that S box really does 'fit' beyond that bridge; lovely.

P

No doubt it was so named before the coming of the railway Phil.

• RMweb Premium

Yep, definitely 'off the road' there GN. Did the photographer with the permit help with the re-railing exercise?

I said you were a sharp eyed lot, didn't I? There is a mystery here though. It is definitely off the road, and the angle of the pony truck suggests that it could not rerail itself without human intervention. However, as you can see I didn't notice when I took the photo, and thereafter I drove the train to the point where I took the next shot, by which time all is well again. I have no recollection at all of having put it back on track before driving the train onward though. I suppose yet another senior moment can't be ruled out though. :senile: :sad_mini:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

No CCTV in the railway room to check to see how it got re-railed then GB?!

Must admit I didn't notice either until it was pointed out, but that may be my eyesight rather than age (I hope!!)

David

In the middle of a major sort out of old paperwork I've just come across a Daily Telegraph supplement celebrating 50 years of Mallard's run - among the interesting pics was this, which I thought you'd all find interesting if only because it's such an unusual shot

post-10395-0-51901900-1394545179_thumb.jpg

Now Gilbert, I bet even Graeme King hasn't thought about reproducing that :-)

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Oh that's really quite horrible. It looks a bit like a skeleton; really spooky. Imagine meeting that in a dark and gloomy shed?

Rev Audrey would have said/written something like...." Thomas thought that the very fast Duck had not eaten enough coal for quite some time....".

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Actually it is Pleasure Fair Meadow in Peterborough, so named because it was the traditional stopping place for the pleasure fair, being a meadow by the river and, of course, the railway in those days. The travelling fair has now moved to the Embankment in Peterborough but the car park remains for now - apparently there are plans to develop the area for housing ...

P

OK put it another way then?

Head west out of Peterborough East, under the road Bridge. Fair Meadow is the present car park site on the left, bordered on the east by the road bridge, on the west by the ECML, on the north by the line from Pb East. Acros the tracks on the north side is the present substation(?) area, lots of pylons still going in there.

Stewart

RE: the newspaper photo of 4468 Mallard in 1985. 

There is video footage of the 'naked' Mallard on 'Mallard' by John Hunter.  He even goes into the Dynomometer car.

There is also running alongside what looks like a 5 1/2" live steam engine.

Mark in Oz

the angle of the pony truck suggests that it could not rerail itself without human intervention.

Can I hypothesise that in the finest tradition of flash operators, you drove it steadily towards a trailing point where the converging rails brought the wheels back into line and flicked them back onto the track?  I can't visualise your track plan to know whether that's the case or not.

• RMweb Premium

No CCTV in the railway room to check to see how it got re-railed then GB?!

Must admit I didn't notice either until it was pointed out, but that may be my eyesight rather than age (I hope!!)

David

CCTV?  Good Lord no, I'd have to own up to all my mistakes then.