Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

The black coat was made by Quelrain in Salford for export-only but it came back to UK from Italy and I bought it of its owner. White tie and shoes from my rock group days......Poser!

My teenage daughters tell me that this outfit would be quite acceptable nowadays too as it's all come back around again; no comment on the specimen wearing it though sorry :jester:

• Like 3

Gilbert,

You might get so many requests for folk to be represented as 4mm facsimiles, waiting on the platform, that you'll have to lay on relief trains, to carry em all.

Seriously though, isn't this just one hell of a thread? If not 'All our Yesterdays', perhaps some of the best of them.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm.... that platform end could indeed get a bit crowded. Perhaps I could arrange for all spotters to be thrown off the station, and just model the tops of their heads as they try in vain to see over a wall that is just that bit too high? It would certainly work out cheaper that way. That image of cool the young Coachmann must feature though, just so long as he doesn't snatch my Ian Allan and scoff at all the locos I haven't seen. ( Bigger boys tended to do that to us little oiks still in short trousers.) On second thoughts though, there must be a four year age difference, so it would have been beneath the dignity of such a trendsetter to even notice our existence.

I note Mallard's request to be seated in a carriage passing through. Does he realise though that would mean having his legs chopped off? :butcher: And that's another emoticon I never thought I could use. :yes:

• Like 6

Hi Gilbert,

Hope you beat the virus. Thanks for posting the wonderful photos.

How is the Director for pulling power? How many coaches did you have behind it?

I have a Bach/NRM City of Truro 4-4-0, which I aim sell, but it has no trouble pulling 7 Bachmann Mk1's on the flat.

I have ordered the Bach/NRM Butler Henderson, will probably buy the D11/1 Prince Albert, and have put in a request with Bachmann for a D10 5433/62654 Walter Burgh Gair.

Mark in OZ

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, get a Virus Checker implant (usually they place it in the earlobe - NHS; private clinics use the nose); it works a treat but needs countless upgrades. Sometimes you will even need to stay awake all night whilst someone deals with you remotely. Good chance to get in some night running; loads of freight, parcels, fish and milk trains as well as engineering stuff.

Regarding the operation to remove my legs, I would prefer to be standing in the corridor with my face squashed against the window or just protruding from a drop-light. Will that be OK?

Great idea about the spotters being banished and only heads showing, bar one brave soul who will have climbed the wall.

Love the Director heading back home; T.W.'s layout is looking good.

P @ 36E

(P.S. hope you are actually feeling better; there's a lot of it about).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thornton Junction calling;

One of our Directors is missing.

Yes, guv, but we've only borrowed it, and we happen to know that you have a lot more just sitting in store. There's those seven in that siding beside the main line at Longniddry for a start. :jester:

• Like 2

Her indoors has taken to eating her breakfast with me and so she has also to endure 15 minutes of railway video with the cornflakes. Yesterday's DVD was showing the last A4's working in Scotland. Amidst the syncopated beat and chime whistling came the words... "Aren't they ugly!" :mosking:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

Her indoors has taken to eating her breakfast with me and so she has also to endure 15 minutes of railway video with the cornflakes. Yesterday's DVD was showing the last A4's working in Scotland. Amidst the syncopated beat and chime whistling came the words... "Aren't they ugly!" :mosking:

Are the divorce papers drawn up yet? ;)

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert,

Hope you beat the virus. Thanks for posting the wonderful photos.

How is the Director for pulling power? How many coaches did you have behind it?

I have a Bach/NRM City of Truro 4-4-0, which I aim sell, but it has no trouble pulling 7 Bachmann Mk1's on the flat.

I have ordered the Bach/NRM Butler Henderson, will probably buy the D11/1 Prince Albert, and have put in a request with Bachmann for a D10 5433/62654 Walter Burgh Gair.

Mark in OZ

We only put four coaches behind it Mark, as we were looking for a rake that was appropriate for the loco, but I reckon it would easily handle at least six on the level, and that is as many as it would be asked to handle by that late a stage of its life I should think. Also i've just looked at TW's photo on Little Bytham, and it has at least five on, and they would all be kit built coaches I think.

• RMweb Premium

It takes a brave man to put a post like that on this thread. :nono:

• Like 6

Guest Max Stafford

Gilbert :

There you are Gilbert, a platform end RMwebber at Kings X in 1960. The black coat was made by Quelrain in Salford for export-only but it came back to UK from Italy and I bought it of its owner. White tie and shoes from my rock group days......Poser!

post-6680-0-82306800-1348846109.jpg

Looking very cool there Larry. I wore something very similar back in 1984!

Dave.

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

Gilbert, I've heard great things from Tom about your layout but to my shame I've never actually checked it out until now. All I can say is 'wow' and I now see what I've been missing. I'll be watching closely from now on!

Dave.

• Like 2

9:40, is that Peterborough North?

Definitely, you can clearly see Spital Bridge in the background. Nice shot of Little Bytham at the beginning, the station building still survives but the goods shed, the subject of the Prototype Models kit, was demolished about four years ago. I was very sad about that although it was in a very poor state of repair by then.

Edited by HerbertHopkins

• RMweb Premium

The last couple of days have seen two visitors. Tim has been here to do some general fettling up of locos and rolling stock in order to improve reliability of running, which seems to have been very successful, though to say that is probably tempting fate. :scared: He also brought with him for testing purposes his latest conversion from the Bachmann A2, which will become 60505 Thane of Fife, and will join my fleet, thus completing the set of New England A2/2's. Progress on that project can be seen on Tim's thread in Kitbuidling and Scratchbuilding.

The other now regular and very welcome visitor was TW, and he brought with him some of his own A2's. all of them of course built by him. One was duly fitted with a decoder, and commenced a guest duty shift. And here it is, first seen swinging in under Crescent Bridge. I will post the photos first( my efforts by the way, not TW's), and explain the very interesting history of this loco thereafter.

post-98-0-93411400-1349276802_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-61465100-1349276829_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-70953400-1349276852_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-41517200-1349276875_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-25640300-1349276905_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-54987500-1349276927_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-04516400-1349276954_thumb.jpg

No doubt many of you will be wondering which kit this comes from,DJH or PDK, but the answer is neither of them. In effect it is a prototype built mainly but not exclusively from exisiting DJH parts, and sent to them as a feasibility study. Some parts from the Millholme A2 kits(remember them?) were also used, so the loco is a hybrid - part DJH, part Millholme and part scratchbuilt.

Millholme's rear footplate and frames were used, though the footplate was inaccurate and had to be extended. The central footplate sections were scratchbuilt. Millholme's valve gear was also used. The rest was DJH, cylinders crossheads and slide bars from the A1 kit, together with bogie/smokebox/boiler/firebox. The cabsides and tender were from the DJH A3 kit, and all other parts needed also came from DJH.

Tony's intention was to try to convince DJH that they already had most of the parts needed to produce an A2/2 and an A2/3. What's more, it worked, so this loco is effectively the primogenitor of all DJH Thompsons. He was assisted by the fact that he could get parts of kits from both DJH and Millholme which would not have been made available to the general public, but the skill and knowledge to build it were all his. Those are my words by the way, not TW's, he would never claim that himself.

So there is the pedigree of Cock 'o the North a regular for many years on Stoke summit, and now on Little Bytham. Tim is of course now trying to persuade me that I need one of York's allocation too, but I shall resist.....

• Like 17

Lovely Loco managed from some awful parts (Millholme) .

As TW said in his LNER Pacific book Millholme only good for using as ballast weight in other Locos!! I had a Thompson A2/3 and a Q1, which both weighed a Ton and not much else could be said good about either !!.