Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

I presume this aerial is something to do with running on the UK network and applies only to D1015 in its current preserved state?

Yes, it appears to be, if you trawl the snaps on:

http://www.westernchampion.co.uk/

and

On the right, Western Class diesel hydraulic locomotive D1015 'Western Champion'

http://www.train-photos.com/picture/number10059.asp

It's actually a fairly large aerial (!), that presumably (in N) will have to additionally be overscale in thickness so may stand out! Unless you're modelling D1015 of course....in which case you need it.........:lol:

Cheers,

Alan

Dapol is effectively saying "We're producing a model, we know it's going to be wrong, but sorry it's not going to be corrected."

...and if I may add:

Dapol is effectively saying "We're producing a model, we know it's going to be wrong, but sorry it's not going to be corrected, and you'll still have to pay the same price for it with error included."

Or will they drop the price? :lol:

Cheers,

Alan

Hi guys,

yup, hook line and sinker, sorry. :P

no ariel on either the 56 (which shall have them as customer applied parts in the accessory bag) or the Western in either gauge (although Champion has one for mainline running at the moment)

i was going to milk it by adding things but i thought no one would fall for.

off not on holiday for 2 weeks, more update when i return.

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

• Like 2

Well done Dave :rolleyes: :lol:.

Didn't even know it was the 1st....such is the busy-ness in life at the moment!

Cheers,

Alan

Hi guys,

no ariel on either the 56 (which shall have them as customer applied parts in the accessory bag) or the Western in either gauge (although Champion has one for mainline running at the moment)

i was going to milk it by adding things but i thought no one would fall for.

off not on holiday for 2 weeks, more update when i return.

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

Well it's all too believable given the Hymek headcode brackets and the Mark 3 door light blobs on the blue ones ;)

Now I shall have to find a new excuse to alter one 8)

(PS: The Farish 47 in I/C has an aerial that nobody fussed about even though its also wrong for several years of that livery)

Alan

If not, as far as I am concerned it's three lost sales.

If it's an April fool, it's not funny.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

EDIT

I thought I was the 'Grumpy Old Man'.

Anyway Virgin Trains had an April Fool on their facebook site-:

· Virgin Trains

Don’t forget your dancing shoes as tonight we launch our first ever Disco carriages onboard selected Pendolino trains! Get your Friday night off to a great start - click the link to see if your train is going to be grooving to soulful sounds and funky beats this evening. http://bit.ly/e659Wb

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys,

Yup, well done Dave - you certainly got me. As I said in my posts I did wonder, but your post was low key, you picked something that was not too far fetched and could happen... All the best ingredients for success.

• RMweb Gold

Don’t forget your dancing shoes as tonight we launch our first ever Disco carriages onboard selected Pendolino trains! Get your Friday night off to a great start - click the link to see if your train is going to be grooving to soulful sounds and funky beats this evening. http://bit.ly/e659Wb

Not that unbelievable - IIRC SNCF have some disco carriages for their ski trains!

Not that unbelievable - IIRC SNCF have some disco carriages for their ski trains!

ISTR a mention of a BR disco carriage in one of the RCTS's 70's coaching stock books - anyone remember that ?

STEVE

• 2 weeks later...

And that's the unbelievable truth.

*sings from the O-Jays*

(People all over the world) everybody,

(Join hands) join,

(Start a love train), true, (love train) true.

(People all over the world) all the world, now,

(Join hands) love ride,

(Start a love train) love ride, (love train).

• 1 month later...

A further update for you courtesy of Dapol Dave on the CADs for the Western.

Currently the Western is complete in a single CAD form but the following issues have been identified to be addressed.

1) The manufacturer has altered the grilles so they are on the centre line and not offset

2) The fuel tank and battery boxes are hollow and instead should be filled with metal and a cavity for a very large speaker inserted. This will also allow the addition of the pipes under the fuel tank.

3) The exhausts require more modelling as they are not yet satisfactory

This particular CAD output does not include the step access points in the bodyside and the opening grille for later examples etc.

Wez1.jpg

Wez6.jpg

Wez2.jpg

Wez3.jpg

Wez4.jpg

Wez5.jpg

That all important brow above the windows is looking very good as are the complex angles and curves across the face of the loco.

This post has been promoted to an article

• Like 6

Very nice - and the headcode box looks right.

Grilles are indeed a bit odd as noted - the 3 left and right most on the roof angle are a slat short. as well as the one body side grille being different on the real beastie.

Underwear also seems to missing a pair of small brackets for the pedantically inclined

(see: http://www.railphotoarchive.org/rpc_zoom.php?img=1579020120000 ) and look at the left and right hand edge of the panels.

Looking really good. I assume the bottom edge of the valence is constrained by the mechanical needs for clearance ?

• Like 1

Grilles are indeed a bit odd as noted - the 3 left and right most on the roof angle are a slat short. as well as the one body side grille being different on the real beastie.

As built all were fixed, but alterating the RH one to hinged started circa 1964. It would be nice to have the early variation as an option so you can run an early 'Thousand' (introduced from December 1961) with a very late King (which were all withdrawn by the end of 1962).

The front corners of the cab look a bit too rounded. This is a very tight radius on the real thing as shown here and with a very slight curve in plan view across the front 'shelf' (curves that meet at an angle in the centre), also just discernable in the picture, particularly the RH side. Please don't recess the outer edge of the slats on the bodyside grilles; they should be flush (and on Hymeks too) - it's not too clear on the pictures if they are flush or not.

Shape looks excellent - any chance of a CAD view of the cab area side on so we can see the step back to the windows properly. The looking down 3/4 view is good, but a side on shot would help as well.

Thanks

STEVE

Looks very promising! My intitial thoughts having only had a brief look concern the roof over the cab, where the droop to the front should start about half an inch forward of the cab roof panel. The cadds geometry seems to be transitioning into the drop too far back. The small roof grills over the opening enging room windows are also able to be opened on the protoype and as such are different to the three banks of grills above the three main bodyside grills at each end, being both longer and different pitched slats. The engine room vents on the roof look to are a little over emphasised as they are raelly not much more than a small square. I think somebody has already pointed out the missing curvature on the front of the nose beneatht the cab windows. The only other area I can see is in the lower valence. There should also be a small ridge on the body at the top of the cab doors following the outline of the door, which is quite distinctive on the prototpe.

However, overall impressions are very good at this stage and I know from my own experience how subtle the shape is to achieve correctly on cadds. It certainly captures the look better than the previous efforts have so far.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

• Like 2

I think somebody has already pointed out the missing curvature on the front of the nose beneatht the cab windows.

Yup - I think this whole ledge should dip down very slightly in front of the windows too, but that is a pretty minor issue and wouldn't be hard to correct if the basic shape is right.

It dips down sightly, but only on the outer edges. The middle is horizontal.

I presume all the lines across the roof panels are just cadds surface boundaries!

Regards

Mark Humphrys

Yup - I think this whole ledge should dip down very slightly in front of the windows too, but that is a pretty minor issue and wouldn't be hard to correct if the basic shape is right.

A further update for you courtesy of Dapol Dave on the CADs for the Western.

Currently the Western is complete in a single CAD form but the following issues have been identified to be addressed.

he manufacturer has altered the grilles so they are on the centre line and not offset

Not the bloke who did that to Lima too? ;)

I can't add anything to what the others have said. Was it scanned with the door open though meaning the gap at the top was missed at the time?

Will see how people get on with the 22 and might get one of these in the future as a result.

This looks the nearest thing to a Western in 4mm so far. I've always held off buying one up 'til now, never really thought any of the offerings looked convincing but this one strikes a chord with me. I note the underbelly lockers are moulded in the earlier, pre-Ealing crash state with lower edge hinges. Is this something for me to play with or is there a plan to accomodate the later ones?

It dips down sightly, but only on the outer edges. The middle is horizontal.

Yes - tricky beasts!

I presume all the lines across the roof panels are just cadds surface boundaries!

Regards

Mark Humphrys

It does look odd, but, as you say, could just be in the CAD methodology.