Bachmann to produce ex LBSC Atlantic H2 Class 4-4-2

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

Midland Railway Johnson Single....plain and straightforward with no clearance problems and driven by a thoroughly modern Tender-drive that could be used on many future small boiler pre-group locos and even a Johnson 2F 0-6-0.

I would think that one would be the most likely first port of call Larry as the lasted reasonably late in traffic and finished up covering a wide range of duties (my postcard collection includes one of a very dirty single double-headingon a coal train :O ).  Although neither are really of more than passing interest to me I suspect the Midland engine is probably more likely than the Stirling GNR single for reasons which I can't really work out - just a sort of gut feeling.

• RMweb Gold

Good news but bl**dy typical! My friend has paid good money to have this beauty professionally built for him from the DJH kit...!

attachicon.gifDSCF2730.jpg

A very impressive piece of work.

Yes it is s*d's law, (I'm up to 11 'redundant' kits/conversions/scratchbodgings so far!) but it will be a pleasure to own, knowing that it's an excellent build of an excellent kit. There's nothing like having a 'constructed-in-all-metal' model.

Having seen this I've got a nice little 16xx  body 'professionally built' (and I do mean it, unlike some Ebay offerings, as it was assembled by a very well known etched brass kit designer!) which deserves a professionally built chassis to go underneath it..

Edited by Re6/6

I cobbled together a Fowler 0-8-0 'cos at least one of these machines is essential in Greenfield and 'cos I might be dead before Bachy does one. What I'm saying is the origins of a model loco is secondary to ones needs so if Bachmann of Hornby produces what one has just built, I for one would simply buy a few more!

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

I cobbled together a Fowler 0-8-0 'cos at least one of these machines is essential in Greenfield and 'cos I might be dead before Bachy does one. What I'm saying is the origins of a model loco is secondary to ones needs so if Bachmann of Hornby produces what one has just built, I for one would simply buy a few more!

WARNING :offtopic:

After a quick search for the 0-8-0 and I've come to the conclusion it's a 4f on steroids!

Anyway, you never know, Bachmann seem to be more serious, but Hornby do come out with some out of the ordinary stuff, like the sentinel shunter. Who saw that coming?

• RMweb Gold

Could you get him to have a Mallard/Blacksmith 'K' built for him now Tim? See if that also works. (It looks lovely by the way).

Rod - he is actually having one such built!!! (ACE models kit), but the builder has described the 4mm version of the kit as 'virtually unbuildable' in the latest EM Gauge Society journal... As a result, it's getting built 'a bit at a time', in order to preserve the builder's sanity!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The clearance round curves is not quite as easy to sort out as all that. Having been involved in the construction of 4 GNR Atlantics and 2 Jersey Lilies in EM gauge, there are some potential problems, mainly involving the bogie. Just look how close the rear bogie wheel is to the back of the cylinders and to the driving wheels.

I can live with slightly undersized wheels (real wheels got turned down by a bit over their lives) but I feel sure that it will take a bit more than that to sort the bogie out.

The Midland/LMS Compound has the lower inside quarter segment of the cylinder removed, the detailing pack containing full circular cylinder end covers for those who have curves that don't need such compromises.  I would expect a similar solution on the Atlantic.

Edit:  Andy posted this picture in his review back in 2011 which shows this rather well:  post-1-0-53148500-1317885864_thumb.jpg

Martin

Edited by mcowgill

I think this is very "brave" of Bachmann ( in the Sir Humphrey sense ! ).

Is this the first OO Steam locomotive that did not last to run into the "late crest" era since the Lord of the Isles and Stirling Single ?

How many liveries did the SIX H2s run in ?  Even the H1s are going to need a clever bit of mould design IF they are to be produced (did anyone ask a Bachmann representative about that possility ?

I would have preferred an 0-4-4T or S-15, but good luck and profits to Bachmann.

---------

The one really good thing is that this MUST bring forward the day that an Adams 0415 radial 4-4-2T is produced ( I still remember that picture in the Wrenn catalogue).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

How many liveries did the SIX H2s run in ?

At a guess: Marsh Umber, obviously, from new. Then between 1924 and 1927, repainted Maunsell green. The names were bestowed 1925-27, the LBSCR not having named many locos after Marsh replaced Robert Billinton in 1904. From 1938 onwards, they were re-lettered with Bulleid lettering, but still on an olive or dark green, i.e. not necessarily the same shade as in the '20s. From 1941 any repainting would have been in black, with Bulleid Sunshine lettering, but the first to actually get that livery was 2424 in October 1942. From 1946 all were repainted in malachite green with the usual lettering. Post 1948 all were repainted black with lining, but 32424 actually ran for a while with BR numerals and numberplates, yet in malachite green with Southern on the tender.

• Like 1

Guest spet0114

Didn't the last of the Dean Goods go in 1956?  Theoretically late crest but doubtful if any got one in practice.

Ditto the Stars, which Hornby are currently revisiting....

...The clearance round curves is not quite as easy to sort out as all that. Having been involved in the construction of 4 GNR Atlantics and 2 Jersey Lilies in EM gauge, there are some potential problems, mainly involving the bogie. Just look how close the rear bogie wheel is to the back of the cylinders and to the driving wheels.

.. On the O4 the relationship between the pony truck and the cylinder was tweaked to get some side movement on the pony and it is all but undetectable without measuring, so Bachmann do have some experience of such tricks. I wonder if they might put the bogie pivot between the rear bogie wheels, to minimise the movement on that pair...

Interesting that the O4 is mentioned, as the wheelbase is not unalike, same number of wheels, similar wheelbase. Just 'turn it round' for the atlantic, with the bogie rigid with the coupled wheels making an effective 0-8-2 (same sideplay as the eight coupled wheelbase) or by making the front bogie axle only swing, by putting the pivot above the rear bogie axle as suggested above, there's a shorter wheelbase than a V2 and no need to have that rear bogie axle do anything more than traverse laterally.

As I posted earlier, I think the RTR manufacturer concerned has the toolkit.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D

I would think that one would be the most likely first port of call Larry as the lasted reasonably late in traffic and finished up covering a wide range of duties (my postcard collection includes one of a very dirty single double-headingon a coal train :O ).  Although neither are really of more than passing interest to me I suspect the Midland engine is probably more likely than the Stirling GNR single for reasons which I can't really work out - just a sort of gut feeling.

Perhaps the Midland single being a far nicer looking engine will have something to do with it.

Edited, the smileys have disappeared. Imagine one of your own.

Edited by Ohmisterporter

• RMweb Gold

Didn't the last of the Dean Goods go in 1956?  Theoretically late crest but doubtful if any got one in practice.

And just to confuse matters further,even into the early 60's,some W.R.locos were still sporting,be it ever so faintly, 'G.W.R.' and crest on their tenders.'Old Soldiers Never Die,They Merely Fade Away'......God's Wonderful Railway.

Well I can put away the Ks Atlantic I was going to convert to a H2. Maybe not, knowing Bachmann it could be four or more years away might still built it as the sleeve valve conversion for the Leader project doubt if they will do that one.

The Midland/LMS Compound has the lower inside quarter segment of the cylinder removed, the detailing pack containing full circular cylinder end covers for those who have curves that don't need such compromises.  I would expect a similar solution on the Atlantic.

Martin

I'm afraid the compromise would be in not having the cutaway cylinder fronts on a Compound as the image below shows....

post-6680-0-35767600-1378135142.jpg

Welcome news to see an r-t-r Atlantic - like others I'd expected to see a GNR, but this H2 is good news. Wonder if the delivery date will slip to 2016? Also wonder whether Hornby will get into this method of announcing new product as-and-when instead of waiting for the new catalogue.

Mal

Guest Belgian

For me, the real question is how long until a model of 251 forms the next NRM /Bachmann exclusive?

Gotta get me one of them!! :)

I suspect that was the catalyst for the Brighton one - the NRM has the GNR/LNER one and Bachmann the LBSCR/Southern one.

And who's going to be the first with a project to produce a conversion to create the Gresley-cabbed ex-booster GN Atlantic - or Bulleid's marvellously ugly 'Hartland Point'?

Edited by Belgian
  • Like 1