Bachmann to produce ex LBSC Atlantic H2 Class 4-4-2

Graham_Muz

Bachmann still have TBA on their website. So either retailers have now been quoted a price or this is another guesstimate by Hattons.

The NRM C1 is probably a good benchmark of how much it may cost.

I too also received this notification having placed my order in Sep 2013 - now we have a realistic "current" price, and given it is still in Drawing Office  I wonder when we will get a realistic delivery date - my guess for what it is worth (zero !!) is Jul 2017 (but would not be surprised if the price rises to exceed C1 in meanwhile). We are fortunate indeed that unlike Hornby, Bachmann are vertically integrated with their own factory otherwise it could be significantly delayed with all the consequent comment that might entail :prankster: .

This is an "interesting" price.   IF it is a really detailed model and the price doesn't rise between now and the release date, I can JUST about justify it to myself  -  but it really is too much.

It looks like there might not be an excursion from the Brighton line on my layout.

• Like 2

This is an "interesting" price.   IF it is a really detailed model and the price doesn't rise between now and the release date, I can JUST about justify it to myself  -  but it really is too much.

It looks like there might not be an excursion from the Brighton line on my layout.

Phil, I would add at least another £30 by the time this breathes air !!!!! 

I too also received this notification having placed my order in Sep 2013 - now we have a realistic "current" price, and given it is still in Drawing Office  I wonder when we will get a realistic delivery date - my guess for what it is worth (zero !!) is Jul 2017 (but would not be surprised if the price rises to exceed C1 in meanwhile). We are fortunate indeed that unlike Hornby, Bachmann are vertically integrated with their own factory otherwise it could be significantly delayed with all the consequent comment that might entail :prankster: .

Well considering the time we have to wait for a model from Bachmann to be released, I'm not sure that having their own factory has done them anygood so far....

My guess is £199.95 when it eventually gets released, based on the way prices are going. I would think that psychologically they will not want to breach the £200 mark as that would seriously hurt sales.

I have one on order since they where first announced, But if the price go's up any more it can stay in the shop.

• Like 1

Given that Bachmann's lead times are sometimes (often) years from announcement to arrival, and sometimes even progress. When a model is first announced, it may be wise to tuck a few quid away each month in a savings account to budget for any price rises. That way, when it eventually materialised there should be ample available coin to spend on said loco.

I started doing this over a year ago when the Heljan L&B Manning Waddle tool samples first appeared, I now have enough saved for the loco without having to go near my regular bank account!

It certainlym makes big money purchases easier when you know you've got a wait on your hands! Plus watching the savings grow is quite satisfying, more delays = more pennies!

Cheers

J

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Very much looking forward to this. It is the only 00 loco I have on order (not really my gauge), but I like these Brighton Atlantics.

In terms of price, I have a few £200+ locos, so if the H does finally retail at this price, I certainly do not think it unreasonable for it to be on a par, in terms of performance and detail, with them.

• RMweb Gold

Given that Bachmann's lead times are sometimes (often) years from announcement to arrival, and sometimes even progress. When a model is first announced, it may be wise to tuck a few quid away each month in a savings account to budget for any price rises. That way, when it eventually materialised there should be ample available coin to spend on said loco.

I started doing this over a year ago when the Heljan L&B Manning Waddle tool samples first appeared, I now have enough saved for the loco without having to go near my regular bank account!

It certainlym makes big money purchases easier when you know you've got a wait on your hands! Plus watching the savings grow is quite satisfying, more delays = more pennies!

Cheers

J

I plan things on the same basis and, at the price announced by Hatton's, I already have almost enough in the 'Atlantic' jar to buy a second one (not that I'm going to). The excess will be diverted to an extra Ivatt 2MT tank when that arrives. 

Regards

John

Seems like only yesterday we were talking about a £100 psychological barrier.

Such price barriers are soon surpassed and forgotten.

Back in 1977 a pint of bitter was just 25p. Just a couple of years later it had leapt to 35p - a percentage rise to match much of the recent model price increases - and several of my drinking buddies claimed they would give up drinking if it hit 50p a pint. Of course they didn't and simply revised their 'stopping' prices ever upwards, £1, then £2, and so on. We may have cut down a little now that it's getting on for £4 a pint (and we're a fair bit older) but we still go out for few beers and are happy with that.

No doubt if many have to scale back their model purchases a little, they too will still be happy with what they do buy.

G.

The model is rather a niche type. Only 6 ever existed and most people wanting an Atlantic are more likely to go for the NRM GNR C1 rather than the Brighton version.

Most southern fans (like me) will probably only buy 1 (unless LBSCR region is your specialty). Admittedly my RTR LBSCR fleet has an imbalance with its 10 terriers, 4 E4s, 2 E2s, 1 I2 all tanks engines and just eventually 1 tender engine!

• RMweb Gold

Well that will be staying in the shop at that price, I would have expected this sort of price for a special ETD, not for a main range loco.

The ruddy thing is so late that my pre-saving for it has already exceeded the announced price by a goodly margin. :sungum:  

The surplus will go towards an extra Ivatt tank but if I weren't doing that, and I carried on saving, I'd soon have enough in the pot for two Atlantics. 

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The model is rather a niche type. Only 6 ever existed and most people wanting an Atlantic are more likely to go for the NRM GNR C1 rather than the Brighton version.

Most southern fans (like me) will probably only buy 1 (unless LBSCR region is your specialty). Admittedly my RTR LBSCR fleet has an imbalance with its 10 terriers, 4 E4s, 2 E2s, 1 I2 all tanks engines and just eventually 1 tender engine!

Nothing much wrong with that stud. The Brighton was a tank-engine railway by and large, all the way up to Baltics on the heaviest main line trains. The I2 is interesting. And having had the SECR C Class and LSWR 700, might a C2x hove in sight in my lifetime?
  • Like 4

Saw one once,I think it was East Croydon,on a day trip to Brighton. They did time on the Brighton-Bournemouth service during the 50's in BR days. An elegant beast.

Indeed. I’m glad that Bachmann is working on thinking about the H2 – it looks much more elegant than the H1 with its wavy running plate.

• RMweb Gold

Saw one once,I think it was East Croydon,on a day trip to Brighton. They did time on the Brighton-Bournemouth service during the 50's in BR days. An elegant beast.

Also worked over the GWML, and the Wycombe branch!!!!, on one occasion on a special.

I suspect the price is likely to rise a little as the figure currently quoted is little different from what was being anticipated a while back - the only big question in my mind is could one have got to the North & West Line?

Indeed. I’m glad that Bachmann is working on thinking about the H2 – it looks much more elegant than the H1 with its wavy running plate.

The H1 looks problematic to do - the top slide bar is directly under the running plate and hidden by the valance, which is quite a distinctive feature once you've spotted it. So unless you make the running plate out of sheet metal, it won't look right. The DJH kit seems to be compromised in this area and looks slightly odd IMHO. 

• RMweb Gold

Also worked over the GWML, and the Wycombe branch!!!!, on one occasion on a special.

I suspect the price is likely to rise a little as the figure currently quoted is little different from what was being anticipated a while back - the only big question in my mind is could one have got to the North & West Line?

Really? Presumably that would have been to Oxford ? North & West.....don't think so !

Nothing much wrong with that stud. The Brighton was a tank-engine railway by and large, all the way up to Baltics on the heaviest main line trains. The I2 is interesting. And having had the SECR C Class and LSWR 700, might a C2x hove in sight in my lifetime?

Yep, the C2X camel lookalike special is exactly what we need to bring balance back to the LBSCR force.

• Like 1