• RMweb Gold

right, managed to get a couple of quick vids earlier thanks to richard at trident trains near nantwich who let me use his test track

first up howes tornado:

tornado

sleeper crunch:

tornado sleeper crunch

class 60 with notching:

class 60

and class 66 with low emission claxon, different horns, actual buffer clank from 66301, and crows!!

class 66

• Like 1

Very impresssed Jim- especially the notching on the 66. One question though, I'm interested in buying a couple of sound chips but having had a look on the Howes website they seem to be out of stock of everything:unsure:. Are you able to shed (pardon the pun) any light on this ?

Chris, Howes buy the Loksound chips in batches of 50/100 a time and they are programmed with sounds as required. When a new batch comes in a load may have already been pre-ordered so they sell out pretty quick. New batches are in stock every few weeks supplier permmiting.

• Like 1

right, managed to get a couple of quick vids earlier thanks to richard at trident trains near nantwich who let me use his test track

first up howes tornado:

tornado

sleeper crunch:

tornado sleeper crunch

class 60 with notching:

class 60

and class 66 with low emission claxon, different horns, actual buffer clank from 66301, and crows!!

class 66

I can see my two Class 60s & 66 paying a visit to Kidlington

Many thanks for posting Jim

Chris, Howes buy the Loksound chips in batches of 50/100 a time and they are programmed with sounds as required. When a new batch comes in a load may have already been pre-ordered so they sell out pretty quick. New batches are in stock every few weeks supplier permmiting.

Thanks for the clarification Nick.

Those new videos there only confirm just how good Bryans work down at Howes models really are. The idea of having the track groaning and the wheel flange gives the sound of the locomotives a whole new dimension for accuracy.

Im looking through the engines that I have here and am looking at how many are going to need to be reblown! Going to be a lot of pennies and savings needed - but also thinking that my A1, 60164 (yes the number is right!) needs some sound too.... decisions, decisions...

• RMweb Gold

here are a few more Howes video's, the same locos as the post above but actually on a layout this time, courtesy of 250BOB as usual, i've tried to show how the notching can be used effectivly but to be honest i'm still experimenting with it myself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMGwZVRVMFw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMDIfGP-YrU

and finally a couple more of tornado, this time at speed and showing its functions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlXPcXELBEA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5pSLvW6Mvk

Hi,

Bryan truly is the Rolls Rocye amoung the DCC sound market.

He's actually not among the others, but stands well above them.

I love the sleeper groan and flange squeal, however, intend to build this imbedded under my track, automated playing, for all stock passing by.

Will need lots of experimenting for that. Would be nice if I could discuss things with Bryan.

I'm not too found of manual notching, as I would like the same effect happening automatically.

I would prefer that the response in revving up in relation to speed increase ( mimicing different train loads ) could change automatically by changing the Momentum/Inertia ( Acceleration and Deceleration ) CV's, so to say "on the fly" / POM, by way of function button, stepping through several loads ( as with the American approach to sound on/off and muting/volume steps by F8, as opposed to our F1 without these volumes steps embedded in ).

Could these vlume steps be embedded in F1 as well, the same way as the Americans have F8 set up ?

This allows for fading, going on/off scene.

Thanks so much Big Jim, and all other contributors.

Regards, Michel

Mornin' All

The rail groaning which Bryan used is 48431, filmed by me in 1994 rolling down ( no exhaust chuff )into the throat of Keighley station. I offered it to him following the discussion on the topic, and I think he's applied it expertly. At least it is authentic and can be applied to many a loco without folk saying it don't sound right, because it's the track, not the loco!!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some fantastic and useful videos on this thread chaps but it is starting to get a bit 'rambling' as far as finding something specific. I don't know the etiquette involved with U-tube videos but would it be ok to put links from our soundchip review page ( http://coppellfmrc.webs.com/dccstuff.htm ) to some of these vids and get as much info in one place and in TOPS order as poss? I'm thinking the style of Big Jim's chase sequence ones with the start-up and running along are the most useful to prospective purchasers. There would be a big plug for RMweb of course. What do the rest of you think? Kev.

I have no objections to you using my vids (with acknowledgements). Arranging in class order seems a good idea to me. PM me if you want any further details or original clips sent.

• Like 1

No probs big jim, each would be part of the review which is clearly marked as to supplier. I'll try one so you can have a look. Cheers kev.

Edit - I've added a link to big jims howes 08 video to try it out. Let me know if its Ok

Kevpeo,

Feel free to use any of mine if you so wish. Mix of Howes and SWD

They are edited run-bys rather than chases but demonstrate startup/ shutdown pretty well plus most of the other features.There's a link in page 1 of this thread.

Steve

• Like 1