The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

A word about the new Hornby 14xx.  I got one and all it did was sit on the track and buzz.

Its gone back, but I understand that a significant proportion are problematic and Hornby are having to weed them out (or let buyers weed them out?) and return them to the Chinese for rework.  Its a pity as I wanted it to replace my ancient Airfix 14xx...

They're probably just waiting for Warley for a proper announcement about the Collectors Club with the H being there. With possibly a little version as well to tempt the masses to sign up.

Jason

The Hornby Magazine states this H class thing shall be a limited edition at Warley, available from 19 retailers at the show, including the Bluebell Railway. 

States the next Engine Sheds shall be 17th November and 15th December. Hopefully they shall clear up the Collectors Club and Brighton Belle this Friday then. 

The Hornby Magazine states this H class thing shall be a limited edition at Warley, available from 19 retailers at the show, including the Bluebell Railway.

States the next Engine Sheds shall be 17th November and 15th December. Hopefully they shall clear up the Collectors Club and Brighton Belle this Friday then.

Are you getting confused with the limited edition 14xx tank? I can see no mention to the special h class being on sale at warley

Guest Midland Mole

Pre Grouping fan is correct. Retailers going to the show had the opportunity to order the LE 14xx to sell at Warley, but have definitely not been offered any H Class locos.

Alex

• RMweb Premium

The full size 14xx will be there as well hence the special release 14xx in the same livery and number from a number of retailers attending.  I think this is where the confusion has come from.  What is expected is the revamped Hornby Collectors Club will have an H Class as Bluebell's 263 as the members exclusive model plus the 12 inch to the foot version to act as an extra prompt to get people to sign up.

And for those of us who live so far away (i;e outside the UK), our frustration is even greater.

Will we be able to join this new club?

Will there still be any left when Warley is over?

I've waited some 20 plus years for 263 to be modeled....

Edited by JSpencer

And for those of us who live so far away (i;e outside the UK), our frustration is even greater.

Will we be able to join this new club?

Will there still be any left when Warley is over?

I've waited some 20 plus years for 263 to be modeled....

I'm sure flights to Birmingham International are still available for $€£!!,!!!.99 ......... it's quite hand to the N.E.C. !

I'm sure flights to Birmingham International are still available for $€£!!,!!!.99 ......... it's quite hand to the N.E.C. !

Can you imagine flying there, staying 2 nights in a hotel, only to be told "the club and model are for UK residents only sir". At least I could vent my frustration directly to their faces.

The thing is we are not even certain we can actually pick one up at the show. Nor whether I can join being abroad.

Rapido did a very limited Entreprise LRC loco 2 years ago (less than 40 of them), but I could still bid on it abroad (and won). They are a small outfit, so hopefully Hornby can open joining their new club abroad (Bachmann have done for many years and very satisfied I have been getting the club specials).

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Premium

I am sure examples will be on Ebay for vastly inflated prices within an hour of the doors opening on Saturday.....  That seems to be the way of things these days sadly.

• RMweb Premium

Hmm I’m afraid that Engine Shed does seem to be going off the boil a bit. No really new news on there. Cold start 08. Ok. Yet more about the H class, the real thing that is .But nothing new on models . It also mentions that they will have the 2017 range on show at Warley . No mention of 2018 . The one thing that Hornby had got right over recent years was the slight slips that had everyone glued to Engine Shed and the announcement of new models over time, followed up by big announcement at Warley. Might just be coincidence , but Engine Shed going flat seems to more or less coincided with the new regime coming in place.

Yeah, this and a few of the recent engine sheds have been a bit anticlimatic, yes the repaint on the real thing is splendid etc but I'd rather hear news about Hornby models... I assume all this attention on the real thing and its paintwork is part of the build up to Hornby announcing their model version? Otherwise I can't see why they'd be putting THAT much emphasis on it, as we've already seen how pretty the 00 SECR model is...

• Like 1

Funnily enough the Engine Shed blog has appeared more often than usual (by usual I mean their old fortnightly schedule) ever since they announced that it was going to be a monthly blog.

A small note to Paul Isles, I can see quite a few disappointed because they seem to only want product news and development news via the Engine Shed. Who knew people could seem disappointed in that...either way, maybe in future such updates can be put in the "News" section of the Hornsby website so as not to disappoint the disappointed.

I for one enjoyed reading about the repainting process and also listening to the Class 08 TTS sounds.

• RMweb Premium

The Engine Shed has in the past related to new product developments in Hornby . I personally thought the big H news , which turned out to be the Real H going to Warley was a Huge (with a big H) anticlimax. While the repainting of the H is very laudable it isn’t what I tune into Engine Shed to find out about. Is it just me?

• RMweb Gold

The Engine Shed has in the past related to new product developments in Hornby . I personally thought the big H news , which turned out to be the Real H going to Warley was a Huge (with a big H) anticlimax. While the repainting of the H is very laudable it isn’t what I tune into Engine Shed to find out about. Is it just me?

No it isn’t. Hornby is a model manufacturer. Their customers’ interest in Hornby’s relationship with the prototype is limited to wanting to know which locos and vehicles they have measured with a view to modelling. Bringing a 1:1 loco to Warley when the model version is allegedly sold out is almost teasing. Perhaps there is more to it.

• Like 2

Hornby have always said that the Engine Shed is a blog that is written to give us a look at product development and what all goes on behind the scenes.

What they've been doing recently is still in the category of "behind the scenes"

Edited by MGR Hooper!

No it isn’t. Hornby is a model manufacturer. Their customers’ interest in Hornby’s relationship with the prototype is limited to wanting to know which locos and vehicles they have measured with a view to modelling. Bringing a 1:1 loco to Warley when the model version is allegedly sold out is almost teasing. Perhaps there is more to it.

...... exactly ........ have their diverionary tactics really worked in drawing everybody's attention away from whatever the HUGE announcement is actually going to be ?

cue ; renewed speculation about a Nelson ( Lord ) or even a Nelson ( Pompey ) .................... or even cue Q ...........

• RMweb Gold

It's 263 as the Collectors Club Model. So bleeding obvious!!

Why on earth would they want to shackle what is likely to be the most popular version produced, with the potential for future re-runs, to a limited-number, one-off release? 

Commercial stupidity.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Why on earth would they want to shackle what is likely to be the most popular version produced, with the potential for future re-runs, to a limited-number, one-off release?

Commercial stupidity.

John

Except you have to sign up to a £40 collectors club to get one..., and if it’s at full RRP Hornby make the trade margin too, could end up being a nice little earner. Edited by adb968008

Commercial stupidity.

John

No one knows how many Hornby may make for the collector's club.