7mm Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Project; Currently Paused

Indomitable026

Out of curiosity, how does that normally work; do both 16.5 and 14mm gauges use a standard (i.e. 26mm long) axle like with 00, EM and P4 or does 14mm normally mean shorter axles?

Mark, the picture below answers your question.

post-8734-0-87789700-1489247972_thumb.jpg

Judging the way the bogie is assembled the axle will be the same length for 14mm and 16.5mm.

• RMweb Gold

Seems a fair bit of flash for a new mould. Haven't built a Slaters kit for years but I remember pretty clean mouldings, I wonder if the length has something to do with it to get the pressure right to fill it well. I do like the inner and outer sides to get all that detail on though. Looks very nice indeed.

Seems a fair bit of flash for a new mould. Haven't built a Slaters kit for years but I remember pretty clean mouldings, I wonder if the length has something to do with it to get the pressure right to fill it well. I do like the inner and outer sides to get all that detail on though. Looks very nice indeed.

Yes I'd tend to agree.

It looks like you have to build an inner and outer body, the latter then slides over the former as below.

post-8734-0-90646500-1489249411.jpg

Could be interesting.

• RMweb Gold

You still could be...

No no no I still haven't built the DHR tanks I bought from a Paul yet, the last thing I need is to start adding L&B kits to the pile ;) I walked on very quickly at Shepton to avoid temptation.

I reckon I can get sound in an 009 2-6-2 but not in a 009 DHR so I'll stick to them in O16.5 ;)

No no no I still haven't built the DHR tanks I bought from a Paul yet, the last thing I need is to start adding L&B kits to the pile ;) I walked on very quickly at Shepton to avoid temptation.

I reckon I can get sound in an 009 2-6-2 but not in a 009 DHR so I'll stick to them in O16.5 ;)

You'll get drawn-in in the end...

It'll be right.

• RMweb Premium

D, something worth considering would be to replace the delicate plastic truss rods with a brass section assembly. The plastic ones always seem to end up either wavey or bust. I've done this with my Slaters Maunsell coach. Far more robust.

Unfortunately i did mine as a retrofit after building the coach as per the instructions and then breaking one. Much harder to do when the coach is built. I used the plastic truss rod as a template for the brass one before cutting it off.