Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2015

Barry O

• RMweb Premium

From a purely personal view point, I only go to the NEC show as an exhibitor, never want to go as a visitor, too big and too busy. But that's just my opinion.

I don't think I have ever seen you at any show other than Stafford when you were a member, and as you say as a operator.

Terry

If the sheer size of the Warley show and the  N.E.C. frighten anyone then don't go to any of the European shows! Bremen is over 6 halls and includes besides model railways (of course) there's car racing, ships, submarines, aircraft (both flying and static) and other unexpected items.

Judge for yourself, this beast arrived on the Thursday evening with a couple of tons of sand which it dropped in the middle of hall 5 and then retreated to one corner of the hall.

post-276-0-91254100-1449157710.jpg

These earth movers spent the whole weekend moving said sand heap to one side.

post-276-0-51286500-1449157948.jpg

In hall 4 there was a scaffold and tarpaulin sheet tank some 60 ft X  20 ft (or whatever in metric) filled and emptied by this fellow for all manor of shipping.

post-276-0-12849100-1449157983.jpg

All this and beer stands provided by Becks Brewery( which was just next door), for the "second breakfast".

(One of their stands can be seen at the rear of photo 2)  

• Administrators

From a purely personal view point, I only go to the NEC show as an exhibitor, never want to go as a visitor, too big and too busy. But that's just my opinion.

I've never understood how a show can be "too big". There's no law says you have to look at everything. Just pick the bits you like and ignore the rest.

You'll be telling me cakes can be "too big" next!

Dramatic footage of the highlight of the show for many - for some its to take part in this, for others its to witness it with bemusement.........

I don't know what you're selling or how much it is; but I want it NOW!

Dramatic footage of the highlight of the show for many - for some its to take part in this, for others its to witness it with bemusement.........

Who can sport thier selfs thier 

Richard

Aslo am I the only person who have already booked thier hotel for next year.

The last time I saw anything like that was a rush see to the bikini clad models draped over a new car at the motor show at Earls Court ! :)

Richard

I was on the inside and wandered over to see the rush but beat a hasty retreat when they were let in. I think I had just got out the way in the video and went back to the safety on the stand!

cheers

Shane

• RMweb Premium

Richard

I'm hoping that my hotel room has already been booked by somebody else for me........

Cheers,

Mick

This footage might be useful evidence to counter those who keep grumbling on other threads that railway modelling is going to die out in a decade or so because it's fast becoming the preserve of pensioners.  Plenty of those around in it, but no shortage of younger folk too.

Still not many of the female persuasion though ...

Really!.. that's the saddest thing I've ever seen... Ok maybe not "the" saddest but if that was me running to buy a model train I'd seriously need to get out more... and I doubt the fairer sex are going to join in this spectacle any time soon... unless Bachmann start selling shoes.

Although I did to join the Saturday plant sale melee at Chelsea once..but there were women present on that occasion so maybe I can get away with that one.

• RMweb Gold

Cakes can be too big, and the bigger they are the more devious and conniving they are, drawing you in and persuading you to eat more.....

"What?  You're only having one slice!  You can do better than that can't you?".  

Damned cakes  :cry:

Paul

Technically, if you don't actually cut the cake, then you can consider the entire cake as being one slice....

Actually it could be worse, like this for example;

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Gold

Many of us queued up outside Hall 5 - waiting to be allowed in - would have loved the chance to witness the Bachmann scrum. Unfortunately, many of us were "kettled" at the top of the stairs - finally being allowed into the hall in small batches.

Please don't get me wrong - I'm not having a "pop" at the show stewards - and I fully understand the need to ensure crowd safety - but the way the queues move (or otherwise) and the constant stream of unintelligible megaphone announcements - are regular irritants to a number of advance ticket holders, who arrive at the NEC well before show start time.

A lemming like rush to get a "bargain".

What do you mean "lemming like"? Most of those guys can't see the cliff - leave alone whatever it is they're queueing for?

I've never understood how a show can be "too big". There's no law says you have to look at everything. Just pick the bits you like and ignore the rest.

Absolutely.

Not a chance…

I don't know what you're selling or how much it is; but I want it NOW!

I'm not sure most people in the "scrum" know what Bachmann are selling - but this doesn't stop them queueing six deep around the stand.

As for me, what I want now are a pair of size 9 Totectors - an enormous rucksack - and a snooker cue.

Only joking, of course … .

• RMweb Gold

There were cakes?  That you see proves that a show can be too big because I never saw any (but I did at Wycrail, hic ...burp ... )

• RMweb Premium

You know a cake was too big when you're sitting there afterwards feeling bloated and sick. Particularly true with rich chocolate cake. Hence the old phrase "eyes bigger than your belly". Looking at the Warley footage, that must mean some folk have very big eyes.

I'd echo Nigel's thoughts, both as a visitor and exhibitor I find Warley too big, too crowded and too impersonal. It's right at the top of my list of shows that I don't enjoy going to.

A large venue such as the NEC attracts all sorts of procedures for loading, unloading, electrical testing etc and it always seems to take forever to get in and set up once you've arrived. Likewise getting out of Dodge can be a long wait. I understand why this is so, but it's a function of the size of the show. Contrast that with other regional shows where once the show has closed we can be on the road in an hour.

Too big can also manifest itself in the personal approach by the host club. Welcome on arrival, offered a brew, offered help with unloading, shown exactly where to set up, friendly natter about he set up and invite to a social. I've noted over many shows that the bigger and more commercial a show gets, the more these little touches are forgotten as limited manpower is needed on other duties. My personal preference is therefore the smaller shows and I enjoy these far more.

Archived