Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

I am stumped with this view. 

I have no idea even for the region of his location. The curves look a little like minimum radius so I hope they are well secured to the baseboard. 

attachicon.gifScan-171021-0002.jpg

The goods shed has only (very) recently been demolished, as has the brickwork at either end of the bridge the photo was taken from.

Thanks Dave, but my initial guess at the year has proved to be wildly inaccurate; and I now believe that photo to be taken in 1975. 

I believe D7029 was stored adjacent the GWML at Reading in the mid 70s, and I have a feeling D7017 was at Old Oak Common for a while after being taken out of BR service. 

So, unless the DEG had options on other members of the class, this really only leaves D7018. Mind you, why it was at Laira is something of a mystery. 

I have never seen a 101 (in background) in B/G that early. It could be a WR thing. The DMU behind the locos looks to be a cross country unit (119?) so may be OK for the earlier date.

I have never seen a 101 (in background) in B/G that early. It could be a WR thing. The DMU behind the locos looks to be a cross country unit (119?) so may be OK for the earlier date.

There were at least 3 WR Met-Cam 101's in Blue/Grey livery around 1975, initially allocated to Plymouth and later Bristol. The vehicles I have on record are as follows.

P/B800- W51445, W59549, W51515.

P/B802- W51449, W59550, W51521.

P/B803- W51450, W59546, W51522.

Photo's of them, ( at least one photo of B802 in a combine), show that they retained their headcode boxes and had not been refurbished in any way.

As you say, "a Western Region thing".

Paul J. 

Thanks for all the wonderful info, folks. 

I have been away for a few days, but scanning has now recommenced and so have the queries. 

This location is not familiar to me. The destination blind reads Bridlington, but I have looked along that route and cannot find a station with a modified Airfix footbridge. I love the dmu class mash-up of this train. 

post-4474-0-91270600-1509465018_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the wonderful info, folks. 

I have been away for a few days, but scanning has now recommenced and so have the queries. 

This location is not familiar to me. The destination blind reads Bridlington, but I have looked along that route and cannot find a station with a modified Airfix footbridge. I love the dmu class mash-up of this train. 

It looks like Garforth on the line between Leeds and Selby.

David

When I first saw this scan I thought "I know where this is", but the more I looked the more confused I became. 

So, because I have man-flu and my head can't be bothered to concentrate any more; I am opening it up to those with far more knowledge than I can muster at the moment. 

post-4474-0-10663700-1510068303_thumb.jpg

Yes, that was my initial thought. 

But the track layout is all wrong. 

The 'box isn't a GWR one, either.

I do wonder if it's even on NSE territory; after all, the units don't carry NSE colours. There's a track machine depot in the left background as well.

Edited by Fat Controller

• RMweb Premium

Just above the signalbox roof line and right of the single dmu there is what looks like a carriage wash plant. I don't recall one of those at Peterborough, though I'm happy to be corrected on this.

Regards, Ian.

When I first saw this scan I thought "I know where this is", but the more I looked the more confused I became. 

So, because I have man-flu and my head can't be bothered to concentrate any more; I am opening it up to those with far more knowledge than I can muster at the moment. 

attachicon.gifScan-171107-0001.jpg

Its Nottingham London Road. See link below to Flickr for a similar shot.

https://flic.kr/p/7qzHEf

It was the building far right with "COWIES" on it that pointed me in the right direction. See http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM002729&pos=2&action=zoom

Paul J.

Yes, it's the old GN Goods Yard box at Nottingham London Road (Low Level). London Road, itself, goes over the bridge in the

background.

Once I was visiting Sneinton box and the signalman said pop over to London Road and they'll let you in the box there. The signalman

let me pull some of the then still existing GN somersault signals.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 1

Well knock me down with a feather. 

I never realised that those units found their way to Nottingham in those days. 

Thanks to everyone for your efforts. 

However, something even more obscure may be coming up....

Edited by jonny777

Glad the location has been identified as Nottingham - I should just mention to clarify, Eastfield Yard at P'bro was some way north of the station, the box in the photo is remarkably like it though, the shot of the stabling point in post #764 isn't taken from the same viewpoint that I was thinking of.  ;) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well knock me down with a feather. 

I never realised that those units found their way to Nottingham in those days. 

Thanks to everyone for your efforts. 

However, something even more obscure may be coming up....

They were nearly as wide-ranging as Saltley drivers,. I travelled to Weston-Super-Mare, Aberystwyth, Chester, Leicester and York in them on booked services