Flying Scotsman back on the mainline - 2016

colin penfold

problem of puffer nutters tresspassing.

come on ! it is not just steam traction. :( There are oil box nutters as well ;)

I doubt if many of these idiots are real steam (or for that matter rail) enthusiasts. In fact I doubt if many of them even travel by rail - and that is part of the problem. People who never use the railways are unaware of the dangers.

One hopes the BTP will prosocute them, and that the cost for the delays are added to the court costs that they pay....

That will never happen. I also doubt if any of them have enough intelligence to hold down a job paying enough to cover their own costs let alone the £000's cost of delays. I also doubt very much the BTP, CPS and indeed the courts to proceed with any meaningful prosecution.

• RMweb Premium

Yes a pipe dream I know bout even getting them to court, but making an example of some of these idiots would at least show that the BTP and the industry are serious about protecting the bounderies.

The 'puffer-nutter' phrase is what we on the inside of that fence use to refer to all those that do this sort of thing....

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Anybody noticed that she's swapped support coaches? Makes for a lovely uniform B&C rake.

Does this make me a coachie-nutter?

Yes I was struck by that too. Nice blood and custard rake on a dark green loco. She looked lovely coming out of a Kings Cross. I thought I saw the odd choc and cream one in there too , but it may have been trick of light.

As to people not using railways not aware of danger. Are they so stupid we really need to tell them not to trespass on railway.

• RMweb Premium

As to people not using railways not aware of danger. Are they so stupid we really need to tell them not to trespass on railway.

Exactly, it's not exactly rocket science. I don't know all that much about aeroplanes but I don't think that having a wander down a runway is a good idea.

....As to people not using railways not aware of danger. Are they so stupid we really need to tell them not to trespass on railway.

Quite probably yes. Unfortunately stupidity isn't a criminal offence.

The need to get something uploaded to YouTube, Flickr, etc. now, this instant, pretty much eliminates any vestiges of common sense / self-preservation in some. Only a fatality or two will really start to drive the message home.

• RMweb Premium

Police chopper(s) patrolling the whole journey now. There were large crowds lineside at Retford  this morning. The whole train looked magnificent and Scotsman sounded very 'sweet' at it accelerated through/past Sutton ###### Lound.

I do hope some 'nutters' (total idiots IMO) get caught and prosecuted for trespass but not that that makes the headlines.

Thank you NRM, DBS and NR for allowing this beautiful locomotive (and train to be fair) to be shown off in such a lovely way today.

Incidentally, the 'just in case' Thunderbird Class 67 was following (not attached) at a 'discreet' distance; lovely touch.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

come on ! it is not just steam traction. :( There are oil box nutters as well ;)

I doubt if many of these idiots are real steam (or for that matter rail) enthusiasts. In fact I doubt if many of them even travel by rail - and that is part of the problem. People who never use the railways are unaware of the dangers.

That will never happen. I also doubt if any of them have enough intelligence to hold down a job paying enough to cover their own costs let alone the £000's cost of delays. I also doubt very much the BTP, CPS and indeed the courts to proceed with any meaningful prosecution.

Anybody who is incapable of comprehending the danger of getting too close to several hundred tons of metal (train or not) travelling at a mile a minute or more, frankly shouldn't be allowed out without a nurse.

These morons are more likely to cause the end of main-line steam running than any shenanigans WCRC can come up with.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

The need to get something uploaded to YouTube, Flickr, etc. now, this instant, pretty much eliminates any vestiges of common sense / self-preservation in some. Only a fatality or two will really start to drive the message home.

[ warning - extreme heartless cynical mode is ON ]

And even if there is a fatality or two, there will be other trespassers rushing to video the gory results in order to be the first onto Youtube, Snapchat, etc. with a post that might go viral (which apparently means one has really "made it" ).

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately, any blame for such fatalities would, almost certainly, not be correctly apportioned to the dead idiots.

The railway industry would be pilloried for not fencing their property well enough to protect them from the consequences of their own stupidity.

John

• RMweb Gold

And even if there is a fatality or two, there will be other trespassers rushing to video the gory results in order to be the first onto Youtube, Snapchat, etc. with a post that might go viral (which apparently means one has really "made it" ).

Darwinism at it's very best.............. 

To be honest, a stepladder and a VERY long lens would have been useful.

She stopped about 1/2 mile short of the crossing to take on water.

When she set off, she created the most tremendous cloud of steam, which drifted up ahead and across all four lines, which she burst through before throttling back for the red signal at Holme junction.

Conington fen is about as backwater as can be, but there must have been 90-100 people there.

Holme was practically impassable, with cars parked halfway back to Yaxley and hundreds upon hundreds of spectators.

I didn't spot any stupid behaviour, apart from some very inconsiderate parking and obliviousness to traffic on the roads.  some people had climbed the banks up tot he fences - there were a few NR and BTP people knocking about though.

• Like 2

Is that any different to the race to be the first person to post a picture of the newest model, show off that they could afford e.g. a rake of Drax wagons, or say "I've ordered xxx Kings"?    :angel:

• Like 1

That will never happen. I also doubt if any of them have enough intelligence to hold down a job paying enough to cover their own costs let alone the £000's cost of delays

Sadly, we all know that's probably not true. In any sphere of activity, there's an understandable desire to separate oneself from the more nobbish elements (e.g. "those people invading the pitch aren't real fans": well they've all got season tickets and attend every match, so what are they?) but there are plenty of examples in the RMWeb archives of people who seem otherwise pretty normal and whose love of trains - and steam locomotives, in particular - seems real enough, yet who behave like total bellends in their pursuit of the perfect photograph.

Jim

Edited by Jim Martin
  • Like 2