Flying Scotsman back on the mainline - 2016

colin penfold

We were honoured today here in Scarborough by the arrival of Flying Scotsman on a running in turn before travelling to London. As can be seen it looks superb in its BR Green livery. It arrived around 15-00hrs and departed back to York at 17-05.

ARRIVAL AT SCARBOROUGH STATION

post-4401-0-61731700-1456249756_thumb.jpg

REVERSING PAST THE SITE OF THE OLD WHITBY LINE

post-4401-0-18814100-1456249764_thumb.jpg

ON TURNTABLE

post-4401-0-11345700-1456249770_thumb.jpg

REVERSING INTO SCABOROUGH STATION PRIOR TO DEPARTURE

post-4401-0-38101800-1456249786_thumb.jpg

DEPARTING SCARBOROUGH

post-4401-0-99935500-1456249797_thumb.jpg

Ian H

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Indomitable026 and Silverlink, those are so, so much better than mine, I think I'll not bother now!

Seems that Indomitable026 wasn't too far from me, he was on the south end of platform 3, I was on the footbridge!

Nah, here's a couple from me after all. Please excuse the quality, it's only a little point and shoot that I carry with me instead of my DSLR.

From NRM North Yard.

IMG_0161_zpslai6h4ix.jpg

And in York Station, there were quite a few waiting for her.

IMG_0164_zpsmukbc7zo.jpg

And finally under the station canopy.

IMG_0169_zps6gqmqgna.jpg

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Nice photographs - though have they painted the buffers black?  That looks a little odd to me - though perhaps that's how they were originally?

Anyone know what time the locomotive is travelling south?  I'm not far from the ECML in Cambs and quite fancy popping out to see it.... especially with just the support coach as that might be a good way to run a steam loco on our modern image club layout...

cheers

Ben A.

Hello all,

Nice photographs - though have they painted the buffers black?  That looks a little odd to me - though perhaps that's how they were originally?

Anyone know what time the locomotive is travelling south?  I'm not far from the ECML in Cambs and quite fancy popping out to see it.... especially with just the support coach as that might be a good way to run a steam loco on our modern image club layout...

cheers

Ben A.

The buffers were black in 1963 and so they are again

Yes, I am one of those who would have preferred for her to go back into apple green. (As That's the only way I have seen her, - a very long time ago storming through the Avon Valley Between Northam and Perth). 

But I must admit that seeing these pictures of her from Yesterday, she looks absolutely smashing. I think a lot of people will get a great deal of enjoyment seeing her back up and running. Even those most critical of the time and money spent, surely could not feel a tiny bit of a warm glow down deep inside somewhere seeing her under the roof at York. Well done to all those who persevered with her.

I think I will put her on my list of things to see when I pop over to the Mother Country next Year.

Thanks for the Pictures Everybody.

• Like 4

+1 about the colour but it's still the one and only Flying Scotsman, world traveller, drama queen since 1923 and probably the only preserved SG mainline loco anywhere, still running on its original route.

Actually I quite like the German deflectors and I don't care about the mismatched combination of those with apple green....

I'm in Town today - will it pass through Finsbury Park station?

Tomorrow's plan is to wait at Peterborough Town Bridge until it passes through (0800?) then across to Tallington Crossing to see it at full tramp on the ECML. I saw it, and the A4 in the NVR years ago and I always think there's something slightly sad about seeing such machines doing 25mph on a single track.

Edited by rockershovel

Tomorrow is KGX 7:40, PBO 09:34, Tallington 09:45, YRK 12:26. http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U59844/2016/02/25/advanced

That's a VERY slow time from Kings X to Peterborough. No real chance of getting to Tallington after seeing it at Peterborough, or Holme to Peterborough either. Tallington Crossing has been closed for months and few expect it to open again, so you can park there.. unlike Holme. Peterborough platform 4 is pretty much as inaccessible as can be, there are no worthwhile viewpoints at Crescent Bridge or Spital Bridge. Sounds like "local knowledge" around the Town Bridge area is called for

• RMweb Gold

+1 about the colour but it's still the one and only Flying Scotsman, world traveller, drama queen since 1923 and probably the only preserved SG mainline loco anywhere, still running on its original route.

Actually I quite like the German deflectors and I don't care about the mismatched combination of those with apple green....

I'm in Town today - will it pass through Finsbury Park station?

Tomorrow's plan is to wait at Peterborough Town Bridge until it passes through (0800?) then across to Tallington Crossing to see it at full tramp on the ECML. I saw it, and the A4 in the NVR years ago and I always think there's something slightly sad about seeing such machines doing 25mph on a single track.

SG mainline steam locomotives still run on their original routes in Ireland. No s 4 85 461 for starters. 171 and 131 to follow soon.

• Like 1

SG mainline steam locomotives still run on their original routes in Ireland. No s 4 85 461 for starters. 171 and 131 to follow soon.

And the A4s do also run up and down the ECML as well probably as often as Flying Scotsman will

• RMweb Premium

That's a VERY slow time from Kings X to Peterborough. No real chance of getting to Tallington after seeing it at Peterborough, or Holme to Peterborough either. Tallington Crossing has been closed for months and few expect it to open again, so you can park there.. unlike Holme. Peterborough platform 4 is pretty much as inaccessible as can be, there are no worthwhile viewpoints at Crescent Bridge or Spital Bridge. Sounds like "local knowledge" around the Town Bridge area is called for

The train is 'looped' almost continuously hence the slow times. It is weekday intensive service on the ECML and we are lucky to see steam during the week IMO.

Hope you get to see it.

The popularity of the locomotive is reflected in the NRM programme for it. Almost every mainline service planned is already fully booked and it is visiting a load of heritage railways as well.

I saw it in BR dirt in the early 60s and so I like it as it is now.

Good luck today and especially tomorrow to the NRM Team and I do hope she/he/ it gives them a storming performance as it is bound to be on the News and we need positive publicity.

Huge congratulations to all those that must have worked 24/7 to get that 'spring' sorted. Also thanks NRM for bringing 103 back to real life.

I'm told Grantham is a good place to watch stuff at full tilt (restrictions permitting).

Phil 

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I've never been a great fan of the money pit but I'm glad that now it's back on the main line it appears to be in good fettle. It is obvious that an awful lot of good and hard work has gone into it over the past few months and it does seem to be a credit to those involved. I wish it well for tomorrow.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

Does that "real train times" website update continuously?

Yes, now showing 3L at York. You do need to refresh your page though to see the updates as often you see a cached earlier version.

Edited by dhjgreen

Does that "real train times" website update continuously?

Pretty much, yes. There are some "black holes" in places where passing times aren't reported back to the system, but it back-fills them with "No report" once a later time+place has been confirmed.

• RMweb Premium

Tallington crossing is open as per normal, just as busy as normal, after all it is on the main A1175 road from Market Deeping to Stamford. I pass over it twice daily at line speed. If necessary you can park in the Whistle Stop car park but the landlord might welcome you using his facilities if you do. Incidentally, although just a pub and caravan park now this used to be a railway hotel.

At Holme you can park on the old station forecourt site opposite the Admiral Wells although views of the line are not good. You are better going down towards Connington or down the back roads from Yaxley to an occupational bridge there.

Lolham crossing just south of West Deeping is closed to traffic from the south but open to traffic from the north. It has been like that for some months. After all it is one of the crossings NR are looking to close permanently  without providing a bridge (the only bridges are to be at Tallington on the A1175, Glinton Road Helpston and the existing one between Barholm and Casewick). Views along the line are not good and I'd consider Maxey Crossing instead parking about 1/4 mile north of it on a farm hardstanding on the northwest side of the road where there are good views north and south. Need a good telephoto lens though.

Edited by Richard E